British Speedway Forum
tellboy

Rye House V King's Lynn 15/04/17

Nice to see porsing using the GTR engine for the first time in league racing and riding extremely well. He will be the new Mr Kingslynn in my eyes as the effort he puts in on the track and the off track duties he carries out for the club. Big well done to that man!

Edited by lynnboy
  • Like 5

I'll try & give you a honest answer to your post, this is no disrespect to Robson, but ht1 Holder 2012 WC didn't get near him! Lambert the TR holder could make NO impression on Perks in ht4! Good on Perks, I'm English through & through & very pleased for the lad, but come on!!

I did see Harris, Batchelor and Porsing pass.

I also saw Scott Nicholls do his very best to assist Perks and block Lambert's outside line (so did the meeting updater).

You have been very fortunate in your choice of meetings if that is the worst you have ever seen. Give Stoke a try.....................

When we had a 1-7 that was untouchable at Rye 1977-80 thats what the crowds were like most weeks but when the rivals like Newcastle, Mildenhall Eastbourne etc there were far more in, check the old photos if you don't believe it. Great meeting for Edward, Perks is a real surprise for me how well he has done and Nicholls team riding with Perks again was superb. Porsing shone for Lynn but perhaps we see the wisdom of Matt Ford in not including Holder on 12.53 as he will be lucky to average over 8.5 shocking display from a former world champion in a very watered down league.

Obviously you haven't seen Kennett around Rye before. On his day when he is really on it he is a match for anyone from any gate. Not sure which of Lynn's riders you were embarrassed about

Don't doubt it but that was a different era (and before my time). Since I have made occasional visits to Rye House (2005) last night was way, way bigger than anything I have seen before - which is brilliant :approve:

Rye deserved their win and we paid for a dreadful start but in terms of value for money three genuine passes in fifteen heats on a track with one line is pretty poor for eighteen quid. Don't think there was any lack of effort or commitment from any Lynn rider but the majority just couldn't find the set up to get to the first bend in front and that was absolutely vital. Good to see a big crowd and the stadium being improved, hopefully the first bend terracing will return.

Great to catch up with Shads after too many years, shame to miss HT who I would have sought out had I known he was there!

Rye deserved their win and we paid for a dreadful start but in terms of value for money three genuine passes in fifteen heats on a track with one line is pretty poor for eighteen quid. Don't think there was any lack of effort or commitment from any Lynn rider but the majority just couldn't find the set up to get to the first bend in front and that was absolutely vital. Good to see a big crowd and the stadium being improved, hopefully the first bend terracing will return.

Great to catch up with Shads after too many years, shame to miss HT who I would have sought out had I known he was there!

I was hiding from everyone on the third bend (not just you, believe me) :o:D

To be fair, its where I like to stand and did so at both Lakeside and Kent.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

It was by no means the worst meeting that I’ve ever seen, as ‘Sommelier’ suggested, but it’s most certainly the worst meeting that I can ever recall seeing at Rye House, although I don’t attend them all these days.

I think most tracks are prepared to suit the home riders to some extent, and I don’t have a real problem with that, but based on last night alone, which was my first, and now most definitely last appearance of 2017, there only appears to be one racing line, thus, no or little passing.

Having been a regular on the speedway scene since 1958, without a break, of all the tracks in operation to today, I have visited Rye House more than any other, and that includes my current club of King’s Lynn, where I’ve been a regular since 1986.

My comments are nothing to do with this particular result, because the home side were deserving of their win, but the thrills and general entertainment have disappeared from this particular venue.

When a rider with a 12.53 average, and boasts a world title to his name, can’t make any real inroads

into conditions, then something can’t be right.

As for the stadium, it becomes a bigger tip every time I see it, and Mr Jenson seems to have achieved absolutely nothing with it, other than to make it a total eyesore.

Although it’s nobody’s fault other than nature dealing a cruel hand, my wife has double lung cancer along with a blood clot on one of them, plus she has major mobility problems with arthritis covering her entire body, and I’m sad to say that the stadium (stand area) has become a major health hazard for her, whilst she continues to try and lead as normal a life as possible, without looking an invalid.

However, because the mangement in their wisdom, have removed the concrete staircase to the stand on the home straight, where she needs to be, to keep out of the worst of the elements, the climb up is now to steep for any older person, and as a result, she fell down two flights of concrete steps last night, cutting her left leg fairly badly, and causing some bruising to her spine. By the grace of whoever, it was fortunate that I was behind her, to break the worst of the fall, otherwise the consequences don’t bear thinking about. I’m amazed this place has passed the Health & Safety regulations!!

Once recovered from the shock of what had happened, we struggled to get up into the bar area, where it has to be said, the viewing is quite good. But even that wasn’t easy, as the public stand on the staircase to that bar, and can in the odd case, be quite stubborn and rude when asked to move out of the way, so you can get through. Standing should not be allowed on those stairs, and it’s high time that Mr Jenson confronted these people and told them to move elsewhere, instead of just wandering around the stadium with a coffee cup in one hand, and mobile phone in the other.

Anyway, once seated and watching the from the gate races, we had to endure an evening of foul mouth beer swillers standing behind us, showing no respect for women and children around them, with their constant ‘F’ this and ‘F’ that, and why doesn’t Bomber stick so and so in the ‘F...ing’ fence, and so on and so forth. Simply terrible.

As for the sound system in that area, it was almost inaudible, for whatever reason, and needs looking at. You could hear Craig on the roving mic okay, but the announcer in the box, who I believe was probably Kevin Moore, you just couldn’t hear, which is a shame.

When Len Silver was there, the place was in a time warp, of which I often critised, but in hindsight, Rye House Speedway was in a far better place then, than it is now with the present owners, and whilst we hear a lot of talk on the future plans for the venue, I just get a gut feeling, that it won’t be to long before the club is a thing of the past. I hope not, but the whole atmosphere of the place just doesn’t feel right or welcoming any more.

I’m sorry if this has upset any Rye House fans, but as a paying customer, I had to say what I felt.

• Like 1

If Watt goes Schlien has to be much better value than NBJ (financially for BMR) Plus he is proven at this level and based here.

You're probably right, but I'm convinced he'll end up elsewhere. Not sure I'm liking the Robert Mear rumours going around. That would be a terrible signing. May as well get Boxall back

I've always believed application is everything. Porsing showed what can be achieved when applied. There can be no excuse for the performances from Holder and Lambert, they were shameful. Set up is not rocket science, nor secret, merely an excuse when required.... . The fans deserve far better than that...

No it's not hard setting up bikes,but to get it spot on for various surfaces,grippy/slick starts track sizes etc is.Sprocket sizes,clutch set up.It could take several races to get it where you want and it don't always work out.

For Porsing last night he gated very well and this was so very important.Whoever hit the front last night won the race.

Perhaps they should take every scrap of material off the track then at least there would be no dirt line to chase?

No it's not hard setting up bikes,but to get it spot on for various surfaces,grippy/slick starts track sizes etc is.Sprocket sizes,clutch set up.It could take several races to get it where you want and it don't always work out.

For Porsing last night he gated very well and this was so very important.Whoever hit the front last night won the race.

I personally think both teams should have a proper practice session before every meeting, particularly so the away team can get set up for the track, ready to make a good, competitive meeting from heat 1.
  • Like 2

It was by no means the worst meeting that I’ve ever seen, as ‘Sommelier’ suggested, but it’s most certainly the worst meeting that I can ever recall seeing at Rye House, although I don’t attend them all these days.

I think most tracks are prepared to suit the home riders to some extent, and I don’t have a real problem with that, but based on last night alone, which was my first, and now most definitely last appearance of 2017, there only appears to be one racing line, thus, no or little passing.

Having been a regular on the speedway scene since 1958, without a break, of all the tracks in operation to today, I have visited Rye House more than any other, and that includes my current club of King’s Lynn, where I’ve been a regular since 1986.

My comments are nothing to do with this particular result, because the home side were deserving of their win, but the thrills and general entertainment have disappeared from this particular venue.

When a rider with a 12.53 average, and boasts a world title to his name, can’t make any real inroads

into conditions, then something can’t be right.

As for the stadium, it becomes a bigger tip every time I see it, and Mr Jenson seems to have achieved absolutely nothing with it, other than to make it a total eyesore.

Although it’s nobody’s fault other than nature dealing a cruel hand, my wife has double lung cancer along with a blood clot on one of them, plus she has major mobility problems with arthritis covering her entire body, and I’m sad to say that the stadium (stand area) has become a major health hazard for her, whilst she continues to try and lead as normal a life as possible, without looking an invalid.

However, because the mangement in their wisdom, have removed the concrete staircase to the stand on the home straight, where she needs to be, to keep out of the worst of the elements, the climb up is now to steep for any older person, and as a result, she fell down two flights of concrete steps last night, cutting her left leg fairly badly, and causing some bruising to her spine. By the grace of whoever, it was fortunate that I was behind her, to break the worst of the fall, otherwise the consequences don’t bear thinking about. I’m amazed this place has passed the Health & Safety regulations!!

Once recovered from the shock of what had happened, we struggled to get up into the bar area, where it has to be said, the viewing is quite good. But even that wasn’t easy, as the public stand on the staircase to that bar, and can in the odd case, be quite stubborn and rude when asked to move out of the way, so you can get through. Standing should not be allowed on those stairs, and it’s high time that Mr Jenson confronted these people and told them to move elsewhere, instead of just wandering around the stadium with a coffee cup in one hand, and mobile phone in the other.

Anyway, once seated and watching the from the gate races, we had to endure an evening of foul mouth beer swillers standing behind us, showing no respect for women and children around them, with their constant ‘F’ this and ‘F’ that, and why doesn’t Bomber stick so and so in the ‘F...ing’ fence, and so on and so forth. Simply terrible.

As for the sound system in that area, it was almost inaudible, for whatever reason, and needs looking at. You could hear Craig on the roving mic okay, but the announcer in the box, who I believe was probably Kevin Moore, you just couldn’t hear, which is a shame.

When Len Silver was there, the place was in a time warp, of which I often critised, but in hindsight, Rye House Speedway was in a far better place then, than it is now with the present owners, and whilst we hear a lot of talk on the future plans for the venue, I just get a gut feeling, that it won’t be to long before the club is a thing of the past. I hope not, but the whole atmosphere of the place just doesn’t feel right or welcoming any more.

I’m sorry if this has upset any Rye House fans, but as a paying customer, I had to say what I felt.

I'm not a Rye House fan and have made only occasional visits in the past but I think your comments are harsh and quite possibly made at least partly as a result of the unfortunate and difficult circumstances that you encountered.

As I have said elsewhere, the meeting wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either.

Its clear to me that the stadium is a work in progress and that a considerable amount of money has already been spent there, the new stand by the pits area being the obvious example. Its not brilliant standing on piles of ashes or earth but I have little doubt that they will be dealt with in due course and there will always be issues when improvement and renovation work is ongoing.

I think Shads has commented about the PA system on the home straight and clearly that needs fixing.

Although I would accept that the management should stop people standing on access areas, that is far from just a problem at Rye House (Redcar is particularly bad). In addition, it is just simple courtesy to move out of the way of a disabled person (or help them) whenever possible. To me, that's far more about the people than the management, and its reflected in the unacceptable behaviour you were subject to later.

While in no way do I understate the problems you had, I find there is very little to be critical about having a speedway promotion who are quite clearly prepared to invest heavily in the sport that we love, both in terms of the team they have assembled and the plans they have for the stadium.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Great to catch up with Shads after too many years

You too Baggy. Been a long time. I've gotta say I was intrigued when I received that text from a number I didn't recognise. I was wondering if it was someone who wanted to punch my lights out, which is why I surrounded myself with some large gentlemen, much like an NFL quarterback

• Like 1

Riders like Holder should be able to decide on the set up of their bikes after the track walk.

It was by no means the worst meeting that Ive ever seen, as Sommelier suggested, but its most certainly the worst meeting that I can ever recall seeing at Rye House, although I dont attend them all these days.

I think most tracks are prepared to suit the home riders to some extent, and I dont have a real problem with that, but based on last night alone, which was my first, and now most definitely last appearance of 2017, there only appears to be one racing line, thus, no or little passing.

Having been a regular on the speedway scene since 1958, without a break, of all the tracks in operation to today, I have visited Rye House more than any other, and that includes my current club of Kings Lynn, where Ive been a regular since 1986.

When a rider with a 12.53 average, and boasts a world title to his name, cant make any real inroads

into conditions, then something cant be right.

Although its nobodys fault other than nature dealing a cruel hand, my wife has double lung cancer along with a blood clot on one of them, plus she has major mobility problems with arthritis covering her entire body, and Im sad to say that the stadium (stand area) has become a major health hazard for her, whilst she continues to try and lead as normal a life as possible, without looking an invalid.

However, because the mangement in their wisdom, have removed the concrete staircase to the stand on the home straight, where she needs to be, to keep out of the worst of the elements, the climb up is now to steep for any older person, and as a result, she fell down two flights of concrete steps last night, cutting her left leg fairly badly, and causing some bruising to her spine. By the grace of whoever, it was fortunate that I was behind her, to break the worst of the fall, otherwise the consequences dont bear thinking about. Im amazed this place has passed the Health & Safety regulations!!

Once recovered from the shock of what had happened, we struggled to get up into the bar area, where it has to be said, the viewing is quite good. But even that wasnt easy, as the public stand on the staircase to that bar, and can in the odd case, be quite stubborn and rude when asked to move out of the way, so you can get through. Standing should not be allowed on those stairs, and its high time that Mr Jenson confronted these people and told them to move elsewhere, instead of just wandering around the stadium with a coffee cup in one hand, and mobile phone in the other.

Anyway, once seated and watching the from the gate races, we had to endure an evening of foul mouth beer swillers standing behind us, showing no respect for women and children around them, with their constant F this and F that, and why doesnt Bomber stick so and so in the F...ing fence, and so on and so forth. Simply terrible.

As for the sound system in that area, it was almost inaudible, for whatever reason, and needs looking at. You could hear Craig on the roving mic okay, but the announcer in the box, who I believe was probably Kevin Moore, you just couldnt hear, which is a shame.

When Len Silver was there, the place was in a time warp, of which I often critised, but in hindsight, Rye House Speedway was in a far better place then, than it is now with the present owners, and whilst we hear a lot of talk on the future plans for the venue, I just get a gut feeling, that it wont be to long before the club is a thing of the past. I hope not, but the whole atmosphere of the place just doesnt feel right or welcoming any more.

Im sorry if this has upset any Rye House fans, but as a paying customer, I had to say what I felt.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I'm sure Steve Jenson had his work cut out dealing with issues throughout the night. I'm sure he'll take what you said on board should he hear about it. The BMR promotion have been pretty good dealing with fan feedback, unlike the previous regime who adopted a "sod you" attitude to loyal fans and paying customers

Edited by Shads

Rye house stadium in its present form is not fit to hold crowds like last night. It's an uncomfortable place to watch speedway at the moment. The poor track conditions and poor facilities need to be improved soon otherwise the current feel good factor will soon drift away.

• Like 1

You too Baggy. Been a long time. I've gotta say I was intrigued when I received that text from a number I didn't recognise. I was wondering if it was someone who wanted to punch my lights out, which is why I surrounded myself with some large gentlemen, much like an NFL quarterback

Hence the cautious reply I got :D

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I'm sure Steve Jenson had his work cut out dealing with issues throughout the night. I'm sure he'll take what you said on board should he hear about it. The BMR promotion have been pretty good dealing with fan feedback, unlike the previous regime who adopted a "sod you" attitude to loyal fans and paying customers

I thank both you and Halifaxtiger for passing your comments on my posting without attacking me, as a couple have done via Messenger.

Rightly or wrongly, they are my thoughts on the current set-up, but I do also respect the thoughts of people like yourselves, who may differ from me, but do so in a polite manner, so thank you.

Incidentally Shads, I thought you'd moved, or were moving to Berwick!!

• Like 1

Yes you have just answered my question, lesser opposition!!! Must dash, long drive from Bristol to Newcastle!

Well that's down to Holder and Lambert, not the track.

Well I hope the roads aren't too slick or you won't arrive until Tuesday night.

You're probably right, but I'm convinced he'll end up elsewhere. Not sure I'm liking the Robert Mear rumours going around. That would be a terrible signing. May as well get Boxall back

I've just got the bug back for going, if they sign Mear they won't see another penny from me until he's out of the team again. I'd actually rather see Boxall, that's how strongly I feel about it.

I've always believed application is everything. Porsing showed what can be achieved when applied. There can be no excuse for the performances from Holder and Lambert, they were shameful. Set up is not rocket science, nor secret, merely an excuse when required.... . The fans deserve far better than that...

I agree about Holder, but saw Lambert all taped up and was told he is still suffering from a torn muscle in his shoulder when Charles Wright wiped him out the other week