British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Somerset Ela & Somerset V Poole 14/4/17 Good Friday.

Saw a comment earlier in the thread that mentioned Matt Ford wanting seven riders where possible as he feels less 'short changes' the fans...

Not sure if that really is Matts opinion obviously as never seen him directly quoted...

However, if it is, I am surprised, as generally I feel he has a good angle on what fans want from the sport..

Meetings ran with guests naturally bring zero credibility to the event and renders it nonsense from a professional sport angle, so it would R/R for me every time anyone is missing....

You will still get four riders in every race, and 15 heats of racing, so no one will get 'short changed' and the meeting keeps it credibility..

It would also mean 'missed flights, dodgy sick notes, Polish teams calling riders back' etc etc no longer get used as 'convenient' reasons for needing guests.

All of which currently adds fuel to the 'Mickey Mouse' perception of the sport...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Saw a comment earlier in th e thread that mentioned Matt Ford wanting seven riders where possible as he feels less 'short changes' the fans...

Not sure if that really is Matts opinion obviously as never seen him directly quoted...

However, if it is, I am surprised, as generally I feel he has s good angle on what fans want from the sport..

Meetings ran with guests naturally bring zero credibility to the event and renders it nonsense from a professional sport angle, so it would R/R for me every time anyone is missing....

You will still get four riders in every race, and 15 heats of racing, so no one will get 'short changed' and the meeting keeps it credibility..

It would also mean 'missed flights, dodgy sick notes, Polish teams calling riders back' etc etc no longer get used as reasons for guests.

All of which currently adds fuel to the 'Mickey Mouse' perception of the sport...

On the Poole site he says he prefers 7 rider teams and doesn't like using r/r that us why he would prefer a guest rather than r/r.

That might have carried some relevance if Tai had been scheduled to ride in the same meeting as KK - but he wasn't!!!

Poole had a facility granted to cover for KK. That decision was confirmed by the SCB in the morning of the 2 meetings and was still valid for both meetings.

As for the Oaktree meeting, MF stated afterwards (Poole website) that in hindsight Poole should have gone for r/r but he usually opts to go with 7 riders whenever available - hence using Garrity who was considered to be the best available guest of those riders able and willing to take the booking at such short notice. No BV or Wolves riders wanted to do it!!!

In hindsight again its a shame the KL v RH meeting wasn't rained off earlier as that would have given more (better?) guest options.

I know Tai was having a little joke but he has a point if he can get back why couldn't KK, my guess is he wasn't too keen on riding at Somerset and would rather put his feet up.
  • Like 2

I know Tai was having a little joke but he has a point if he can get back why couldn't KK, my guess is he wasn't too keen on riding at Somerset and would rather put his feet up.

SCB already confirmed their were flights available. He just couldn't be bothered.

• Like 2

That might have carried some relevance if Tai had been scheduled to ride in the same meeting as KK - but he wasn't!!!

Poole had a facility granted to cover for KK. That decision was confirmed by the SCB in the morning of the 2 meetings and was still valid for both meetings.

As for the Oaktree meeting, MF stated afterwards (Poole website) that in hindsight Poole should have gone for r/r but he usually opts to go with 7 riders whenever available - hence using Garrity who was considered to be the best available guest of those riders able and willing to take the booking at such short notice. No BV or Wolves riders wanted to do it!!!

In hindsight again its a shame the KL v RH meeting wasn't rained off earlier as that would have given more (better?) guest options.

Skidder I`m highlighting this line you have posted

" Poole had a facility granted to cover for KK. That decision was confirmed by the SCB in the morning of the 2 meetings and was still valid for both meetings."

I understand that licensed Speedway officals were told by presumably licensed Poole officals that KK`s Polish meeting was called off at 7 pm on Thursday rather than the correct time of approximately 11.30 am UK time ?

I wonder why that was !!

I said yesterday that it was fishy- and it appears to be getting fishier by the minute.

• Like 1

Poole always manage a dodgy point or two every season, that's why you simply have to detest them!

Skidder I`m highlighting this line you have posted

" Poole had a facility granted to cover for KK. That decision was confirmed by the SCB in the morning of the 2 meetings and was still valid for both meetings."

I understand that licensed Speedway officals were told by presumably licensed Poole officals that KK`s Polish meeting was called off at 7 pm on Thursday rather than the correct time of approximately 11.30 am UK time ?

I wonder why that was !!

I said yesterday that it was fishy- and it appears to be getting fishier by the minute.

Heres the problem with the rules. Once a decision has been made it can't be changed. So all clubs have to do is lie and by the time the lie has been found out it's too late to do anything about it these days.

Shocking. I was told 2pm Thursday KK was "available" but wouldn't be there. How odd that ended up being true.

Heres the problem with the rules. Once a decision has been made it can't be changed. So all clubs have to do is lie and by the time the lie has been found out it's too late to do anything about it these days.

Shocking. I was told 2pm Thursday KK was "available" but wouldn't be there. How odd that ended up being true.

So what should be done about it ?

Poole fined for bringing the sport into disrepute ?

KK suspended ?

At the very least a combined statement from Poole/BSPA/SCB is desired.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

So what should be done about it ?

Poole fined for bring the sport into disrepute ?

KK suspended ?

At the very least a combined statement from Poole/BSPA/SCB is desired.

No independent body running the sport equals no consequence to clubs whose actions either undermines the sport or brings it in to disrepute..

Whilst 'self governing' continues to go on we will always have what we have always got...

Which is vested interest influencing every decision, with a 'toothless' top table trying desperately to uphold some integrity within the sport..

No way to run a professional sporting league....

Even my lads U14 Sunday League has consequence for teams not following rules around the players they put out on the pitch. Failing to turn up is not given a 'facility' but a 'fine'....

Edited by mikebv

Personally I don't see the point of signing any rider if there not committed to ride at least 99% of the meetings in the UK and that includes GP riders, Poles or riders in the junior development league.

• Like 4

What people don't seem to realise is that it is not just the team who engages a disloyal and regularly absent rider that misses out, it is also the supporters of their apposition that miss out as well after paying good money to see top riders in action. it is bad enough seeing guests for the apposition one night in their team riding against you and then the next night riding against you for somebody else !!! We are being sold short !!! I know this isn't the guests fault it is the system to blame.

Right correct thread this time !
After going to both meetings seems Poole made a slightly better effort to keep the dust down slightly. OTA was a shambles dust wise , the only time the bowser came out later on in the meeting it covered about a 6ft wide near the airfence. Next race all 4 riders stuck to the inside so more eye irritating dust. Even the kid on the bike before the meeting was kicking up dust , its hard to believe such a good track can have a curator/management that has such disregard for its preparation. Must try harder.

Somerset were just giving Poole some of their own medicine and the Rebels wanted it that way !!! Their prerogative, live with it and stop whinging. There's always a moan with Poole !!! You can't even WIN gracefully and hold your hand out and say well done, pathetic !!! I notice you haven't seen any moans from the Somerset Faithful !!! You Dorset Wallah's must have bloody miserable lives. Although Garry May comes from that neck of the woods, he's as happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment !!! Enjoy your Speedway, when you get your own way !!! Which won't happen !!!

Edited by Aroundtheboards

What people don't seem to realise is that it is not just the team who engages a disloyal and regularly absent rider that misses out, it is also the supporters of their apposition that miss out as well after paying good money to see top riders in action. it is bad enough seeing guests for the apposition one night in their team riding against you and then the next night riding against you for somebody else !!! We are being sold short !!! I know this isn't the guests fault it is the system to blame.

Somerset were just giving Poole some of their own medicine and the Rebels wanted it that way !!! Their prerogative, live with it and stop whinging. There's always a moan with Poole !!! You can't even WIN gracefully and hold your hand out and say well done, pathetic !!! I notice you haven't seen any moans from the Somerset Faithful !!! You Dorset Wallah's must have bloody miserable lives. Although Garry May comes from that neck of the woods, he's as happy as a pig in the proverbial at the moment !!! Enjoy your Speedway, when you get your own way !!! Which won't happen !!!

Happy with Nicolai Klindt at least!! :t::wink::P:D

:t:

Happy with Nicolai Klindt at least!! :t::wink::P:D

Very Happy !!! But we aren't the ones moaning, we play the cards we are dealt !!! Dust, warts, guests and all !!! :t::wink::P:D

Edited by Aroundtheboards
  • Like 2