British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Kent V Lakeside Mon 17th April 3pm

Pretty poor show all round today.

If I was a first time spectator then I would not be inclined to attend again - poor track, lacklustre racing, delays.

Bring back Shanes and Ayres !!

Too true.

Because I fear this team will be a million miles behind last years.

I have seen 3 decent meetings out of 8 so far this season, mainly down to poor track preparation.

Glad the first timers who were planning to come this after ran late and postponed for another time as that meeting was largely dross. Track was shocking and embarrassing with such little shale and constantly drenched in water.

Good performances from the visiting top 4 and the majority of the main team for kent also impressed barring Stoneman who had a mare (hope he is OK after his nasty looking tumble ) but what I was most concerned with was the quality of the reserves on both sides.

Couzins couldn't gate for toffee but still scored plenty. Andrews must be better than that showing, laurence has been trying for 10 years and just doesn't have it and Spooner for all his enthusiasm lacks basic bike skills that need to be developed away from the NL. He had 3 attempts at wiping Couzins out before finally succeeding, fell untroubled in front of his team mate and sadly looks a bit of a menace to others out on track with him at the moment.

Can't claim it has lit my excitement for racing at Kent this year but it can only improve (I hope).

After yesterdays farce of a meeting Kent should do the following.

1) Change both May Bank Holiday fixtures to a 6.30 start from 3.00 pm.

2) Get some more dirt down as soon as possible.

3) Hope that young Anders Rowe is a hidden gem or it is going to be a very ordinary season.

Getting outscored by Lakesides reserves at Home is very worrying.

p.s.

I had left before the last Heat,and I see that it went to FIVE laps ?????

Get the Officials back to Primary School to see if they can count to FOUR ! :nono:

Edited by AJ is King
  • Like 1

AJ,serious question why would you leave before the last race. Not a p take, just interested to know why

After yesterdays farce of a meeting Kent should do the following.

1) Change both May Bank Holiday fixtures to a 6.30 start from 3.00 pm.

2) Get some more dirt down as soon as possible.

3) Hope that young Anders Rowe is a hidden gem or it is going to be a very ordinary season.

Getting outscored by Lakesides reserves at Home is very worrying.

p.s.

I had left before the last Heat,and I see that it went to FIVE laps ?????

Get the Officials back to Primary School to see if they can count to FOUR ! :nono:

Not sure about the change of start time but a bit more urgency is needed & yet again the start was delayed to let in the late comers who time after time arrive with a few minutes to spare knowing the start will be delayed for them. :mad:

Definitely need some dirt from somewhere as the sub base showing after 5 heats is very poor in fact i would say the track was as bad as its been since it was first laid which is shocking considering there has been a whole close season to prepare it.

Anders looked decent practicing before the meeting which is more than can be said of the others on show.

As for the 5 lapper, it happens, the result didn't change & the start crew are all volunteers plus forever in the history books will Luke Bowens 15pt max be completed with a race winning time of over 70 seconds :D

Haven't Kent got a curfew in place, bit risky delaying the start

Haven't Kent got a curfew in place, bit risky delaying the start

Only for evening meetings although given free reign to show no urgency what so ever i reckon Len could get near to the curfew even with a 3pm start time (and almost definitely if Mr Drury was in town :D )

• Like 2

Meetings should always start on time unless there is a major problem with local roads, if everything is ok in that respect then it is up to supporters to get their on time and not have clubs penalise those fans that do.

• Like 3

AJ,serious question why would you leave before the last race. Not a p take, just interested to know why

Why?

Because I get there early (unlike some ) ready for meeting to start ON TIME.

With delays etc the first 4 or 5 Heats must have taken three quarters of a hour.

Just standing around with nothing happening,starts to get very boring and annoying.

No racing,c**p track,delays,more delays,really starts getting annoying.

Watching riders just try and stay on the bike is NOT Speedway to me.

By Heat 13,I had seen enough.

Result does not matter anyway,as it is a warm up meeting.

These sort of meetings should be £5 to get in,and that would of been TOO much yesterday.

Rant over. :D

• Like 2

Why?

Because I get there early (unlike some ) ready for meeting to start ON TIME.

With delays etc the first 4 or 5 Heats must have taken three quarters of a hour.

Just standing around with nothing happening,starts to get very boring and annoying.

No racing,c**p track,delays,more delays,really starts getting annoying.

Watching riders just try and stay on the bike is NOT Speedway to me.

By Heat 13,I had seen enough.

Result does not matter anyway,as it is a warm up meeting.

These sort of meetings should be £5 to get in,and that would of been TOO much yesterday.

Rant over. :D

It's not a rant AJ its all very true. By my watch heat 5 started at 3.50 PM so by the time that race finished it was an average of ten minutes per race so nine minutes of twidling my thumbs which is a massive reason fewer and fewer tolerate speedway these days. Two hour plus meetings or five hour double headers became the norm at my track Rye House during Len's last few seasons there. Just a turn off for me as is the dusty rather than dirt surface that produces no quality racing just as was the case at Rye.

The first three meetings this season have been run very smoothly at Rye and they seem to have got the message that two hour plus meetings are a bore especially when the racing is poor. If tracks need to have a parade then fine have it 15 minutes before the advertised start time as Lakeside do.

• Like 2

It's not a rant AJ its all very true. By my watch heat 5 started at 3.50 PM so by the time that race finished it was an average of ten minutes per race so nine minutes of twidling my thumbs which is a massive reason fewer and fewer tolerate speedway these days. Two hour plus meetings or five hour double headers became the norm at my track Rye House during Len's last few seasons there. Just a turn off for me as is the dusty rather than dirt surface that produces no quality racing just as was the case at Rye.

The first three meetings this season have been run very smoothly at Rye and they seem to have got the message that two hour plus meetings are a bore especially when the racing is poor. If tracks need to have a parade then fine have it 15 minutes before the advertised start time as Lakeside do.

Yes,and not being a fan at all of Mr Silver does not help my enjoyment.

I am sure he is holding Club back.

Just my opinion.

:lol:

I agree with many of the previous comments re slick track and the time it took to run the meeting but meetings tend to drag when a team operates rider replacement due to riders in back to back heats. Nevertheless it was a pleasing win for the Hammers. Bowen looked unstoppable! I felt sorry for Spooner slipping off in heat 2. I think its fair to say his score didn't reflect his efforts. Really impressed by Alfie Bowtell again. A good debut from Couzins too. I think Kent will push us close on Friday though.

I know a lot of people don't like the size and shape of Eastie's track, but very rarely is it dry dusty and slick. Not being a track curator cannot say for sure, but when you arrive for a meeting especially in the evening the track always looks damp even wet at times and has a thick layer of 'shale'. Makes it difficult for some riders because of the grip, but generally gives better racing without getting covered in dust. Surely it's a case of getting more dirt and unless rain is due watering it to the point of being wet . There must be a cost in this, but not as much as a dwindling crowd base. As regards getting the meeting through, unless there's any bad crashes, even with an interval should be totally possible to get it done inside 2 hours which I think is acceptable, any longer is bad management, refereeing.

• Like 1