British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

Lakeside V Kent Friday 21st April

Good meeting tonight on a track that was kept in excellent condition all night..Bowen rode well but not quite as impressive as his score suggests as after falling on the first bend and remounting,, Clifton fell later with Hunter running in to him,, Morley a mile in front and Bowen tailed off,, many thought a result should have been declared.,,but the ref called a re- run and Bowen got the better of Morley out of bend 2, and rode well in the re-run-..Though Kent fans would not agree,,Bowen also got away with a couple of jump starts later .depends i suppose on who you support..For the Hammers Hurry and Morley looked strong,,and there was some improvement on last week from the second strings,, Mason was steady without impressing,,While Couzins chipped in well to consolidate his position in the team... Laurence is what he has always been slow..Excellent meeting presentation from the announcer and the guy on the roving mike...Things can only get better with so many positives at Lakeside.......And of course we won again against Kent !

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Have to agree with those comments by Waco. Laurence needs to be replaced by a youngster with a bit of a future. Kent have unearthed Spooner who

is getting better each meeting and Lakeside need to find someone like him. With the Martin Hagon school I would have thought that he might have

found a decent kid. Good result though and it was curious that Kent had so many riders falling off as the track seemed fine.

Most of the heats on the updates site are listed as FTG and having seen a few heats on youtube i can see why, gate and stick it to the inside, even Hurry went backwards trying the outside line.

OK, You cant make it too grippy at this level, but you need something there for the real racers so they can at least have a go.

Wasnt a very good crowd there by looks of it (never seen the stock car section so empty) better track prep will be required if they are to retain more supporters or tempt those of us who have thus far stayed away, doesn't matter if its a division 3 or a grand prix, if its gate and go all the time it lacks appeal.

But on the positive side its good to hear that the likes of Jason Edwards is continuing to make good progress (think he will be a shoe in as soon as rules allow him to ride in the NL) another rider who looked good last season was Anders Rowe, I wonder if Kent wont use him whether Lakeside could tempt him (if he is old enough to ride tier 3) its normally these very young riders who have developed from 125cc-250-500 who have the most potential to make it to a reasonable level.

Most of the heats on the updates site are listed as FTG and having seen a few heats on youtube i can see why, gate and stick it to the inside, even Hurry went backwards trying the outside line.

OK, You cant make it too grippy at this level, but you need something there for the real racers so they can at least have a go.

Wasnt a very good crowd there by looks of it (never seen the stock car section so empty) better track prep will be required if they are to retain more supporters or tempt those of us who have thus far stayed away, doesn't matter if its a division 3 or a grand prix, if its gate and go all the time it lacks appeal.

But on the positive side its good to hear that the likes of Jason Edwards is continuing to make good progress (think he will be a shoe in as soon as rules allow him to ride in the NL) another rider who looked good last season was Anders Rowe, I wonder if Kent wont use him whether Lakeside could tempt him (if he is old enough to ride tier 3) its normally these very young riders who have developed from 125cc-250-500 who have the most potential to make it to a reasonable level.

Jason Edwards wont be 15 until next October so we may not see him in Hammers' colours this season but being local, Billericay, there is no reason why he shouldn't line up in the future. Equally impressive is Nathan Ablitt, 13, but lives in Battle, Sussex so is probably Eastbourne bound. One observation, both riding 250cc recorded winning times faster than both the reserve's race and heat 8.

... Mason was steady without impressing...

Poor old David Mason. There does appear to be based on this comment and others around that the thread that no matter what he does Mason can never please Lakeside Hammers supporters? :sad:

There was enough dirt on the track but there are no AJ,s that can ride it faster than the inside line at this level.the track staff worked hard to maintain the track in very good condition through out the evening..The racing was probably better for the minor places than the big guns out front,,,and i think most fans had an enjoyable meeting..,

• Like 1

Track looked good to me and Bowtell went round the outside a few times, racing was pretty good aswell. I throughly enjoyed it I have to say. Might not have been passes in every race but their was plenty of close racing.

I would like the club to try and find a good youngster to replace Nick Laurence though.

Edited by liam

Think some of the Lakeside fans are realising what we found at Eastie that it takes a few meetings to adjust to NL racing and the club to get their head around it. I nearly gave up after the first one but went again and could see everything starting to improve. Hopefully you can find another Tom Brennen or the like, looking forward to the next few seasons watching him grow into our No 1. There will be some boring meetings, but certainly no more than in the EL as was.

• Like 2

Poor old David Mason. There does appear to be based on this comment and others around that the thread that no matter what he does Mason can never please Lakeside Hammers supporters? :sad:

There is something he can do and that is ride like the third heatleader he is supposed to be. Four second places without beating an opposing heatleader is not good enough. Ok perhaps for a warm up meeting but he is not really pulling his weight at the moment. Let's hope he improves before the league starts in earnest, but unfortunately he comes with a bit of baggage and has done very little thus far to shake it off.

As for Nick Laurence I can only endorse what others have said. Nice to see Alfie Bowtell and George Hunter getting in the points which should boost their confidence but both need some more polish to reach their potential. Early days yet though.

Laurence was a strange signing. He's been around years and never improved much and hasn't even had a team for a couple of years. Yet he got a spot straight away, months ago, whereas the likes of Couzins and MacDonald had to 'try out'. But there's not much difference between them all.

• Like 1

Well I enjoyed last night's meeting much more than the one on good friday. The majority of the meetings I attend are at NL level, this is down to logistics rather than choice. Rye House has become an island in terms of top flight racing in the south East, for how long, who knows.

There is something he can do and that is ride like the third heatleader he is supposed to be. Four second places without beating an opposing heatleader is not good enough. Ok perhaps for a warm up meeting but he is not really pulling his weight at the moment. Let's hope he improves before the league starts in earnest, but unfortunately he comes with a bit of baggage and has done very little thus far to shake it off.

As for Nick Laurence I can only endorse what others have said. Nice to see Alfie Bowtell and George Hunter getting in the points which should boost their confidence but both need some more polish to reach their potential. Early days yet though.

He has scored 11, 2, 8 and 8 which gives him an average of over 7. Why is that not pulling his weight?

He has scored 11, 2, 8 and 8 which gives him an average of over 7. Why is that not pulling his weight?

He may have a decent average atm but Mason won't have an easier away track than Kent. He's ridden there enough lately. Whilst yesterday he couldn't beat the opposition's second and third heat leaders when, with respect, other team's have more powerful numbers 3 & 5. He's had an alright start to the season but surely a 7pt average is only alright.

With the Martin Hagon school I would have thought that he might have

found a decent kid.

As has been mentioned, Jason Edwards should be a Hammer when he turns 15. He has come through the Hagon Shocks Academy. Alfie & George both started there too, so we are seeing the fruits of the Academy starting to emerge. I am sure others began there also, maybe Alex Spooner, James Laker, etc. We have just joined a league that already had knowledge of, and connections to, riders of all abilities. Given time we will find promising reserves. Drew Kemp is another possibility, when he turns 15.

Lakeside were always going to find it hard to get a top reserve, as we were just joining that level of racing. Heat leaders however, not a problem. Morley, Wajtknecht, Hurry and Mear could have all lined up for us; depending on the points limit. But, we will get there with reserves in time too.

Enjoying the season so far, good to get behind local riders that are racing to get somewhere in the sport & for the love of the racing. Rather than just for money. And, I have been able to go to all the meetings without taking time off work! Enjoying the NL

Good meeting tonight on a track that was kept in excellent condition all night..Bowen rode well but not quite as impressive as his score suggests as after falling on the first bend and remounting,, Clifton fell later with Hunter running in to him,, Morley a mile in front and Bowen tailed off,, many thought a result should have been declared.,,but the ref called a re- run and Bowen got the better of Morley out of bend 2, and rode well in the re-run-..Though Kent fans would not agree,,Bowen also got away with a couple of jump starts later .depends i suppose on who you support..For the Hammers Hurry and Morley looked strong,,and there was some improvement on last week from the second strings,, Mason was steady without impressing,,While Couzins chipped in well to consolidate his position in the team... Laurence is what he has always been slow..Excellent meeting presentation from the announcer and the guy on the roving mike...Things can only get better with so many positives at Lakeside.......And of course we won again against Kent !

You can't award a race on lap 2 waco.

Anders is our number 7 and when hit gits 15 on 9th may he is straight into the team. Initially it was Spooner who was temporary cover but with him suprising with his scoring their could well be a 3 way fight for the 2 reserve spots.