British Speedway Forum
RPNY

Rising Crowds This Season?

How strange and fickle it is to just go when you are winning? surely it is about enjoying the racing.

You and I together Sid would have been well used to seasons spent struggling...but as you correctly say it's the racing that is surely important.

I well remember the years when Poole were not the most attractive of visitors...and Malcolm Simmons was often their saving grace.

• Like 1

How strange and fickle it is to just go when you are winning?

Huge number - possibly the majority - are like that.

I went to Plymouth last night. Good racing, no dust (remarkably, given how windy it was) and all done in 90 minutes.

On the Devils forum, most comments are about not going again.

At the heart of the matter is the quality of racing on offer - almost everywhere ( yes of course there are a handful of tracks where racing is consistenly good ) but all too often the match reports themselves talk of poor tracks where racing is made very difficult for riders to "have a real go" - which is what most fans want to see. After the winter break we all get that "Yahoo! a new season dawns - I can't wait" feeling, which sadly is more and more diluted after 3 or 4 matches, all too often. Even at the GP level the Krsko racing was dire - hardly worth watching - so if they can't get it right and it MUST be someone's fault ( overwatering on the day there it seems ) what hope is there for domestic racing? I will give it one more week, reluctantly, at KL for the match V Leicester BUT if that is equally poor entertainment I will call it a day after 60 years. Speedway can't seem to "heal itself" regardless of who runs the BSPA. What is on sale each week is not satisfying the fans any more - so change what you sell or close down! With crowds of less than 1,000 on a regular basis it is not viable as a sport.

• Like 1

At the heart of the matter is the quality of racing on offer - almost everywhere ( yes of course there are a handful of tracks where racing is consistenly good ) but all too often the match reports themselves talk of poor tracks where racing is made very difficult for riders to "have a real go" - which is what most fans want to see. After the winter break we all get that "Yahoo! a new season dawns - I can't wait" feeling, which sadly is more and more diluted after 3 or 4 matches, all too often. Even at the GP level the Krsko racing was dire - hardly worth watching - so if they can't get it right and it MUST be someone's fault ( overwatering on the day there it seems ) what hope is there for domestic racing? I will give it one more week, reluctantly, at KL for the match V Leicester BUT if that is equally poor entertainment I will call it a day after 60 years. Speedway can't seem to "heal itself" regardless of who runs the BSPA. What is on sale each week is not satisfying the fans any more - so change what you sell or close down! With crowds of less than 1,000 on a regular basis it is not viable as a sport.

I'd like very much to agree with you but that isn't correct. Winning counts spectacularly for some - one or two home defeats and they are leaving in droves and the quality of the speedway really doesn't matter.

Berwick is one example. Apparently the racing is better than ever but a couple of home losses and big gates are now down to 350. Scunthorpe is the other. In my view, the best racing track in the country but their gates are poor, almost certainly because of their home record.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I'd like very much to agree with you but that isn't correct. Winning counts spectacularly for some - one or two home defeats and they are leaving in droves and the quality of the speedway really doesn't matter.

Berwick is one example. Apparently the racing is better than ever but a couple of home losses and big gates are now down to 350. Scunthorpe is the other. In my view, the best racing track in the country but their gates are poor, almost certainly because of their home record.

It seems the way of everything now...that winning is the most important thing to most people.

Always makes me laugh when people 'adopt' football teams...it's never Hartlepool or Brentford but generally the bigger clubs where success is based upon trophies and television exposure. Jumping on the notorious 'band wagon'.

I recall a work experience student I had contact with adopting Blackburn Rovers based purely on that they had just won the Championship...couldn't tell me where Blackburn were geographically however when I asked him!

My experience of speedway, which goes back to the mid-1970s, indicates quality of racing has relatively little effect on the size of crowds. For example: between 1991 and 1996, a spell in which I worked on Teesside, I watched Boro Bears most weeks at Cleveland Park. During the last couple of seasons in particular, the racing was superb - and many meetings went to last-heat deciders. Yet the crowd, certainly in 1996, averaged only 850. The promoter told me every home match cost him a grand. It's why he pulled the plug on Cleveland Bays after their one and only meeting at Cleveland Park attracted a 'crowd' of 150. Unsustainable! The Redcar-Ipswich match I saw last month had an attendance of about 450. As you say, speedway in Britain cannot possibly have a future with crowds that small.

It's not all bad news, though. My wife, a solicitor from the posh part of Surrey (so, probably not what you'd term an average speedway attendee), accompanied me recently to meetings at Redcar and Berwick. And loved it! She'd never seen speedway before (we met nine years ago, a little after the point at which I decided to stop watching because I felt the sport no longer offered value for money), but described it as "exciting" and a "fun evening". Indeed, the other day she asked: "When are we going to speedway again?"

• Like 1

A source close to the Redcar promoter told me the crowd for the recent Peterborough cup-tie was 581. And she described that as "good". Enough said! I was at Berwick last month and I doubt the attendance topped 350. The locals told me crowds had dropped off alarmingly after a promising start because of the team's on-track failings. "Berwick people love to vote with their feet," a regular informed.

Can any regular supporters (I haven't been one for a decade) estimate which speedway clubs still attract 1,000-plus attendances?

Swindon Zummerzet Poole Wolves Belle Vue don't know about the other 3 clubs? Wouldn't have thought many other clubs get over 1000.

With the quality of racing at OTA deserve big crowds regularly...a fantastic venue. Cov always got decent crowds. Swindon used to get 4-10000 when I went 60s/70s.

Edited by beefy keefy

You and I together Sid would have been well used to seasons spent struggling...but as you correctly say it's the racing that is surely important.

I well remember the years when Poole were not the most attractive of visitors...and Malcolm Simmons was often their saving grace.

Poole were a poor team for a number of years, and in 1982 were rock bottom with only 9 points and that was with Autrey and Davis in the side.I think that is where something has to change now ENTERTAINMENT should come before winning that is why it is a myth about bringing the GP stars back would improve the racing.Last year the NL fixture between Swindon v Coventry was one of the best meetings i saw last year so just shows you any level of racing can be entertaining.
  • Like 2

I think fans aren't interested in one-sided matches, these 60 plus v.20 plus scores. All 3 matches I've seen this year have been exciting last heat deciders.

Edited by beefy keefy

Poole were a poor team for a number of years, and in 1982 were rock bottom with only 9 points and that was with Autrey and Davis in the side.I think that is where something has to change now ENTERTAINMENT should come before winning that is why it is a myth about bringing the GP stars back would improve the racing.Last year the NL fixture between Swindon v Coventry was one of the best meetings i saw last year so just shows you any level of racing can be entertaining.

1983 was a fabulous season racing wise at Cowley before we moved up into the British League with the stars (Nielsen, Wigg etc) and the racing continued to be excellent but with good results also. I count myself lucky having enjoyed both disciplines at Oxford.

I think fans aren't interested in one-sided matches, these 60 plus v.20 plus scores. All 3 matches I've seen this year have been exciting last heat deciders.

That is a reasonable point.I was put off going to my local track last weekend because when the teams were announced i could only see one winner and i wasn't mistaken.Of course you can get an exciting meeting that isn't close and a close meeting where the racing is boring.But if i feel the result is a foregone conclusion it isn't going to attract me.....unless there is something special like the chance to see some new wonder kid,which last weekend didn't offer

Bit diappointed that my chance to go to Sittinbourne happens to be some pairs meeting with basically home riders.Not too attractive to say the least

I saw decent meetings on the island and lakeside this week, watched by very poor crowds. I hope tonight's match at eastbourne will be better.

That is a reasonable point.I was put off going to my local track last weekend because when the teams were announced i could only see one winner and i wasn't mistaken.Of course you can get an exciting meeting that isn't close and a close meeting where the racing is boring.But if i feel the result is a foregone conclusion it isn't going to attract me.....unless there is something special like the chance to see some new wonder kid,which last weekend didn't offer

Bit diappointed that my chance to go to Sittinbourne happens to be some pairs meeting with basically home riders.Not too attractive to say the least

For me when i first started going to speedway, i always looked forward to seeing the visiting no 1.Thats probably why i was never against the old tac sub rule because an extra ride usually in heat 8 would come the visiting no1s way.In those days sometimes you might only see a team once a year so it was always something to look forward to a bit different now.
  • Like 3

For me when i first started going to speedway, i always looked forward to seeing the visiting no 1.Thats probably why i was never against the old tac sub rule because an extra ride usually in heat 8 would come the visiting no1s way.In those days sometimes you might only see a team once a year so it was always something to look forward to a bit different now.

...and of course you used to see them in the second half in those days also. Remember some classics races in the Final...one instantly comes to mind was one between George Hunter and Mike Sampson.

...and of course you used to see them in the second half in those days also. Remember some classics races in the Final...one instantly comes to mind was one between George Hunter and Mike Sampson.

Kilby and Ashby had some memorable second half races, and Kilby could hold his own.Funny that both had great stints at Exeter yet both did not want to go there and really disliked the County Ground.Ashby i felt 1975 was a great year for him got in the WTC team some achievement that and i can remember him winning the Victor Ludurunn second half final after the Final in Norden. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1