British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield V Edinburgh (27 April)

Just checked BBC weather forecast. Currently has only light rain between 8 and 9 pm.

Was this one meant to be the KOCup match?

in Derby we had a 5 minute shower, perfect natural water for the track...

since then it been a lovely windy dry clear day and looks clear for a good few hours yet...

The next time its been raining for 48 hours and they leave it as on i wont go out of principle now

About 5 miles from stadium and its been bucketing down for the last half hour. The 'Look North' news and weather forecast at 1.45 pm showed showers during the afternoon and continuos heavy rain from 7 pm to 9 pm. In my opinion this was a good call by the promotion.

in Derby we had a 5 minute shower, perfect natural water for the track...

since then it been a lovely windy dry clear day and looks clear for a good few hours yet...

The next time its been raining for 48 hours and they leave it as on i wont go out of principle now

The forecast was for heavy showers between 6 till 7 originally in Sheffield.

That has since been changed to 8 till 9.

At best they would have got 5 to 6 heats race in that time, not even Rob Godfrey could run a meeting in 30 minutes.

I would say that the lessons have been lean't from last season when meetings were cancelled at the very last minute.

• Like 2

Well, it's 6:15 and I am three miles from the stadium. It has hardly rained and the sun is now out.

I'm not saying it won't rain and the meeting might not have been off anyway, but to call a meeting off because of a forecast of light rain around start time is wrong on so many levels.

How many people would be travelling from Scotland to watch the meeting? A dozen?

Local people without access to Facebook or Twitter would have no idea the meeting might be off as there would be no reason to check as it has hardly rained and how many people will turn up expecting the meeting to be on? More than a dozen I would suspect.

It also sets a dangerous precedent for clubs with injured or unavailable riders to postpone meetings due to weather forecasts. I know it has not happened in this case, but it could do.

Rain offs are annoying but part of the life of a speedway fan but this is just another nail in the coffin of the sport.

• Like 1

I'm standing in Sheffield city centre looking at blue sky and sunshine, plus some clouds. There has been some rain. It looks at the moment a nice night for speedway.

If you want to avoid a late rain-off, of course have an early one at the first suggestion of possible rain. But don't expect me to attend if that is the policy.

• Like 2

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... crap forecast, don't call it off and abandon the meeting after 2 heats the promotion pay out god knows how much, lose money and get crucified as they should never have tried to put it on. crap forecast, do call it off, enough rain during the day to make it look like a good call and then the heavy expected rain doesn't arrive as predicted and the promotion get crucified...

Either way the promotion lose money, I might be wrong, but I would guess that they wouldn't do that on purpose

• Like 4

A late call off I totally agree is an absolute pain as we travel nearly 40 miles to Sheffield but this decision could have waited till 5pm surely

I agree it's a fine line but I have had so many wasted trips were they have got people to the stadium and there was never any chance of the meeting going ahead then we get the total opposite of a bit of rain which would have made the track excellent , a mid afternoon decision would have made more sense .. let's be honest it's not as if the riders were actually coming from Edinburgh were they

Agree with cueball. Promotions are between rock and a hard place.

Ipswich had no rain til mid afternoon and then only light. Tweeting at 5 all was well track could take the rain due.

It then comes down harder than forecast and is called off at 7.05 with people waiting in the carpark.

A pain and unfortunate but cant be helped IMO.

• Like 4

As if on cue, it is now chucking it down...

where as in Ipswich it stopped about 7.20 (but damage already done)

Seems an excellent call by the club, I'm about 5 mile from Owlerton and it's been pouring down for over an hour as forecasted, and it doesn't look like stopping any time soon. Saved a lot of people a lot of wasted money.

Edited by Tigerite
  • Like 6