British Speedway Forum
4thbender

Sheffield V Edinburgh (27 April)

Seems an excellent call by the club, I'm about 5 mile from Owlerton and it's been pouring down for over an hour as forecasted, and it doesn't look like stopping any time soon. Saved a lot of people a lot of wasted money.

Totally agree I am mile and half from the track, and it is the same here.

I reckon at the best we would have got 6 heats completed at the most.

• Like 4

A late call off I totally agree is an absolute pain as we travel nearly 40 miles to Sheffield but this decision could have waited till 5pm surely

I agree it's a fine line but I have had so many wasted trips were they have got people to the stadium and there was never any chance of the meeting going ahead then we get the total opposite of a bit of rain which would have made the track excellent , a mid afternoon decision would have made more sense .. let's be honest it's not as if the riders were actually coming from Edinburgh were they

This was a spot-on call by the management. I am 4 miles from the stadium and at 6.45pm - my normal time to leave for the speedway - the sun was shining out of a blue sky. The rain started at 7.30 on the nail, and within minutes was bucketing down. If they'd not made the early decision the match would have been called off before heat 3 and a lot of people would have been heading for home with re-admission tickets.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... crap forecast, don't call it off and abandon the meeting after 2 heats the promotion pay out god knows how much, lose money and get crucified as they should never have tried to put it on. crap forecast, do call it off, enough rain during the day to make it look like a good call and then the heavy expected rain doesn't arrive as predicted and the promotion get crucified...

Either way the promotion lose money, I might be wrong, but I would guess that they wouldn't do that on purpose

Certainly seems to have been a very good decision based on some spot on forecasting. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, wouldn't it be nice if visiting supporters had the grace to admit and accept that the home promotion saved them considerable problems by calling it off when they did.

As I posted 3 or 4 hours before what would have been the start of the meeting I considered this a good call by the promotion. I'm only 5 miles from the stadium, but I appreciate the early call of a postponement. Can remember several Neil Machin weather forecasts in the past where despite poor national or local forecasts, "the meeting was definitely on".

Only to arrive at the stadium to either see the track water-logged, or it starting to rain just before or just after the start of the meeting. The promotion will take a bit of a hit financially, but how much have they saved the paying public in travelling costs and time.

The rain today has been in showers of varying times and intensity. Yes there have been blue skies and a drying breeze, but some of the rain here was at times biblical and it only needed one of those to hit the track to put the meeting in doubt! So come on guys stop having a go at the people in charge, who in my view have taken the right decision for all concerned.

• Like 2

As I posted 3 or 4 hours before what would have been the start of the meeting I considered this a good call by the promotion. I'm only 5 miles from the stadium, but I appreciate the early call of a postponement. Can remember several Neil Machin weather forecasts in the past where despite poor national or local forecasts, "the meeting was definitely on".

Only to arrive at the stadium to either see the track water-logged, or it starting to rain just before or just after the start of the meeting. The promotion will take a bit of a hit financially, but how much have they saved the paying public in travelling costs and time.

The rain today has been in showers of varying times and intensity. Yes there have been blue skies and a drying breeze, but some of the rain here was at times biblical and it only needed one of those to hit the track to put the meeting in doubt! So come on guys stop having a go at the people in charge, who in my view have taken the right decision for all concerned.

well said steve.i will second that.

• Like 1