British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Redcar Bears V Newcastle Diamonds Championship Thursday 27th April 2017

Like quite a few of the old guard, after the dross served up at the STeMP in the last few years I found other things to do, but on seeing and hearing of changes down their, I decided to return this season to give it a go, and I'm glad I did. The whole set up has improved and their is an air of optimism about the place. I met up with Halifaxtiger again last night but had to look twice as the softie was wearing long trouser on this balmy night, didnt look right, but he is a gentleman and a pleasure to know. As to the meeting, I was apprehensive before the start because the Diamonds normally go well here, so what a difference a team of entertainers and fighters makes, we gated like Bats out of Hell and flew into a massive lead. They did come back into the match midway through, but the heats 13 and 15 sorted out the men from the boys, both Jason and Ben look unbeatable in those heats, and the were ably backed up by Wright, Anderson, and I thought man of the match Ellis Perks, Coty did try, the only downside was the form of Richard Hall, overall well pleased with the start to this season.

You changed your forum name, you bugger ?

No doubt due to some indiscretion or criminal activity :o:D

To be fair it was all pretty tame stuff - pantomime villain booing, not malicious. Only got worse when Lambert decided to "spur" the crowd on.

I remember Ben Barker getting the same reaction a few years ago!

Yes, of course it was all tame stuff. He had came to see Morris, and hearing the boos he spurred them on, laughing as he did it. More concerning was the Redcar fans cheeering when Morris fell. That's something that the Bears fans have always level against the Diamonds fans. Interesting to see the usual idiots shouting st Diamonds riders falling on the first bend from the bar terrace. Perhaps they should've been refused alcohol at the bar till they were older.

Not a great performance from the Diamonds with the gaters being beaten out of the gates, by the faster racers. Only after the track had settled down, and reworked after heat 8, did it become a contest. Praise to my not favourite rider Barker who was brilliant in his positional racing against a flat out Lambert. No matter where and how Lambert rode, Barker thwarted his line every time. Very clever riding. Why is Mr Hall called "Mr Entertainment" ?

Pleased that the three hurt riders in the Cubs/Gems meeting are OK, especially Elliott and Alex from their frightening crash entering the third bend. Hope they and their bikes are in a fit state to race at Worky on Saturday, as well as Scunny on Sunday in the BYC round.

Well done Bears, I wonder if the fans will start to return to Brough now that their team is winning ?

There was no (at least from my standpoint) reaction to Morris falling, only when he then theatrically started throwing his hands in the air at the referee and when he was excluded. Thought it was all fairly tame stuff which added a bit to the atmosphere and certainly seemed to motivate Morris as had a good two final rides.

Agreed about the juniors by the way - looked frightening when Alex almost took off. Glad to see they all appeared to be ok after the meeting.

Yes, of course it was all tame stuff. He had came to see Morris, and hearing the boos he spurred them on, laughing as he did it. More concerning was the Redcar fans cheeering when Morris fell. That's something that the Bears fans have always level against the Diamonds fans. Interesting to see the usual idiots shouting st Diamonds riders falling on the first bend from the bar terrace. Perhaps they should've been refused alcohol at the bar till they were older.

Not a great performance from the Diamonds with the gaters being beaten out of the gates, by the faster racers. Only after the track had settled down, and reworked after heat 8, did it become a contest. Praise to my not favourite rider Barker who was brilliant in his positional racing against a flat out Lambert. No matter where and how Lambert rode, Barker thwarted his line every time. Very clever riding. Why is Mr Hall called "Mr Entertainment" ?

Pleased that the three hurt riders in the Cubs/Gems meeting are OK, especially Elliott and Alex from their frightening crash entering the third bend. Hope they and their bikes are in a fit state to race at Worky on Saturday, as well as Scunny on Sunday in the BYC round.

Well done Bears, I wonder if the fans will start to return to Brough now that their team is winning ?

Perhaps he owns a Karaoke machine? :rofl:

Nah :D

• Like 1

There are idiots at every track.

We were graced by the presence of the lovely lady from Newcastle who booed every Bears rider that dared to ride past her (which was quite a lot as she was next to the pit gate)

It honestly seems like another year of relying on home wins to get a decent place in the league for us, which is fortunate because there aren't a lot of riders that can go round Brough well on the night. On that note, I can't see Redcar coming close when they face us at home, it's how it usually goes. With that knowledge, I don't think there'll be as many fans as normal, unless they come along to boo us.

We were graced by the presence of the lovely lady from Newcastle who booed every Bears rider that dared to ride past her (which was quite a lot as she was next to the pit gate)

I don't think it gets worse than Worky. I remember 3 separate occasions where 3 different fans caused problems. There was a time I got chips thrown at me, parents did nothing. Second time, I was 12 and a grown adult threatened to hit me because I cheered for my rider winning a race. Then recently, a fan bumped into me and then demanded an apology for walking into him. I was standing still. It's one of the reasons I rarely go to Worky. Edited by DiamondGlory

Funnily enough I saw her when I went back to the pits for the junior meeting. I thought she was enthusiastically cheering and waving, till I saw what she was doing with her thumb.

• Like 1

I don't think it gets worse than Worky. I remember 3 separate occasions where 3 different fans caused problems. There was a time I got chips thrown at me, parents did nothing. Second time, I was 12 and a grown adult threatened to hit me because I cheered for my rider winning a race. Then recently, a fan bumped into me and then demanded an apology for walking into him. I was standing still. It's one of the reasons I rarely go to Worky.

They are in my opinion the worst fans in terms of nastiness and treatment when an away fan, I've had insults because I cheered on Berwick and have also had an 'altercation' with a fan who laughed his head off at Michael Max announcing that Lee Complin had withdrawn from the meeting with a suspected broken hand.
  • Like 1

I don't believe that there are any more 'idiots ' at Redcar than anywhere else. All adds to the atmosphere.

I bet Mr. Covatti has much wrong to say about Redcar fans...

I don't believe that there are any more 'idiots ' at Redcar than anywhere else. All adds to the atmosphere.

I bet Mr. Covatti has much wrong to say about Redcar fans...

I would agree with now, but not in the past.

She usually stands in the same place when ever Newcastle are in town. Good entertainment for the prawn sarnie brigade. Heard a few comments of what they would like to do with her hooter. Worth the admission fee alone.

As a part time member of the prawn sarnie brigade I agree it did add to the entertainment last night.

Nearly missed out on my dessert from the sweet trolley when she distracted me!

• Like 5

There are times you have to hold your hands up and say we were thumped by a better team, last night was one of them. Bears outgated, outrode, outfought and outclassed us - congratulations to them and their promotion on the victory.

early on it was a gating contest, but as track dried and lines appeared there was excellent racing, and if my team hadn't been getting battered it would have been a top quality meeting!

Thought most of Diamonds tried hard, but not good enough, top plaudits to the skipper who looked on the pace and the one rider to constantly trouble the Bears all evening, that was until he decided to try the Ben Barker line in heat 15, to realise that it wasn't his most sensible decision ever! Well done to Connor Coles, yes his points were earned from taking advantage of the favourable inside gate, but he had to ride hard and not make a mistake, which he did.

As to Robert's comments, total tosh - comes across as a spoilt brat not getting his own way, he got pushed out in heat one off gate 4 (which Diamonds have only themselves to blame for) and that let Garcia through, talking to Bears fan near me, they said same thing happened week before with Garrity and Danny King and Garrity got pushed way wide.

Yet again moaning George is on the case - what is all the bad luck he refers to? Robert dropped a chain granted, but the way he wasn't bothered it probably made no difference! Lewis was VERY fortunate to be allowed into rerun of heat 3 he clearly took Wright's front wheel and came from a long way back to do it, Ashley was at fault for his crash, trying to lean on an opponent who was level and passing him. It really is getting irksome that George has to have an excuse or dig when we get beat, as I said hold your hands up Bears deserved it..

A very accurate and succinct post, with no punches pulled.

A very accurate and succinct post, with no punches pulled.

I believe the Diamonds management were a bit complacent, expecting to be in the mix, right to the end, but on winning the toss and not grabbing the match by the scruff of the neck, with gate positions. They made a big error, (easy with hindsight, I know ).