British Speedway Forum

Speedway Magazines Over The Years

Also must give a mention to the excellent Finnish mag,speedwaysanomat,to which i made many very good contributions to over the years for speedway and ice speedway.The guy that runs it does an excellent job in keeping the sport publicised in what is one of the back waters,not only of track sport,but of the world :P

http://www.speedwaysanomat.fi/

I also made a few contributions to the Australian mag

http://www.peterwhitesspeedwayworld.com/

Not only bikes in this though,but a lot of car stuff

Did you also write that best seller " the history of Millwall FC thuggery since 1885 " ;)

Did you also write that best seller " the history of Millwall FC thuggery since 1885 " ;)

You'll upset someone by taking this thread off topic,so i won't answer that :P

• Like 1

You'll upset someone by taking this thread off topic,so i won't answer that :P

Me. :o;):D :D :D

• Like 2

Me. :o;):D :D :D

...I enjoy taking threads off topic!

Magazines where I have been involved over the years circa 1952-2010 are:

WEEKLIES:

Speedway News

Speedway Star

Speedway Gazette

Speedway Mail

Speedway World

MONTHLIES:

Monthly Speedway Star

Monthly Speedway World

Monthly Speedway Reporter

PLUS:

Vintage Speedway Magazine

Classic Speedway

Then there is the long running Bahnsport Aktuell,which i think gustix had dealings with way back

http://www.bahnsport-aktuell.de/

I did indeed send a few contributions to Bahnsport Aktuell.

Also I contributed - again many years ago - to speedway linked publications in

Sweden,

USA,

Finland

but sadly cannot recall their titles now.

I was also a contributor to the renowned

Peter White's Australian Speedway World.

Edited by Guest

...I enjoy taking threads off topic!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

;):rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

::::: A couple of years ago I remember a publication - I think East Anglia based - that appeared for a time but now seems to have vanished.

Edited by Guest

::::: A couple of years ago I remember a publication - I think East Anglia based - that appeared for a time but now seems to have vanished.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=72875 didn`t last long

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=72875 didn`t last long

Thank you racers and royals for this Link http://www.speedway-...showtopic=72875 didn`t last long. This is the publication that I had in mind. As you comment it 'didn't last long.' I wonder how many issues it actually managed in that 2013 season?

For further interest, here is a Link by the magazine and a mention of it going on screen.

https://newsstand.joomag.com/en/inside-speedway-magazine-april-2014/0111470001396686525

Edited by Guest

Excellent topic. I started reading the "Star" in 1964-also the monthly sister publication "Speedway Post' when that started up . I also got hold of some old Speedway News' from the fifties. My chief comment is the way the usage and vocabulary of the English language has gone down since that time. There were some very erudite writers then e.g. Phil Reading ,Eric Linden, Paul Parish and dare I say John Hyam.,-now not so much. I also enjoyed the Star when it was black and white-while it had black and white team pictures-you had to imagine what the team colours really looked like until you saw the team ride in person. I enjoyed that..I read a Star a few year ago and the standard of written English was lamentable-maybe reflecting the dumbing down of the population in general. Thanx for posting this gustix -I greatly enjoyed seeing the old covers.

• Like 2

Excellent topic. I started reading the "Star" in 1964-also the monthly sister publication "Speedway Post' when that started up . I also got hold of some old Speedway News' from the fifties. My chief comment is the way the usage and vocabulary of the English language has gone down since that time. There were some very erudite writers then e.g. Phil Reading ,Eric Linden, Paul Parish and dare I say John Hyam.,-now not so much. I also enjoyed the Star when it was black and white-while it had black and white team pictures-you had to imagine what the team colours really looked like until you saw the team ride in person. I enjoyed that..I read a Star a few year ago and the standard of written English was lamentable-maybe reflecting the dumbing down of the population in general. Thanx for posting this gustix -I greatly enjoyed seeing the old covers.

I too started reading the Weekly Speedway Star and Monthly Speedway Post in 1964.

I agree with you 100% about the standards of the English Language falling. The Writers you mention were, all of them, top Journalists in their field. Sadly these days it seems that anyone can pen an Article. The Speedway Star is not alone in this either. The daily newspapers are very poor in this regard too.

The BBC use of standard English seems to have gone out of the window too.

.............................. and they call this - progress.

• Like 1

Dôð TWK ðêah ð¯ær duguð spr¯æc pron ðe ic hwæðere cûðe hlêoðorcwide angelic ðætte....

[The problem is TWK that if language didn't change and progress we'd all still be speaking like this.]

But Norbold I still do speak like that-thought we all did !!! Actually its the Klingon language.......

• Like 1

I too started reading the Weekly Speedway Star and Monthly Speedway Post in 1964.

I agree with you 100% about the standards of the English Language falling. The Writers you mention were, all of them, top Journalists in their field. Sadly these days it seems that anyone can pen an Article. The Speedway Star is not alone in this either. The daily newspapers are very poor in this regard too.

The BBC use of standard English seems to have gone out of the window too.

.............................. and they call this - progress.

Have to agree with you there...especially those giggling voice overs between programmes!

• Like 1

Dôð TWK ðêah ð¯ær duguð spr¯æc pron ðe ic hwæðere cûðe hlêoðorcwide angelic ðætte....

[The problem is TWK that if language didn't change and progress we'd all still be speaking like this.]

I would be interested in a literal translation of what I assume to be Saxon norbold.

I wish I knew how to do that with my keyboard. Most impressive. :t::approve: