British Speedway Forum
oldywonkenoldi

Redcar Half Team V Glasgow Strong Team

U would not have got another heat done after heat 10 they would have just run heat 10 and stoped the meeting so it would have been 24-37

Wrong!!! the fence was fixed at 9.40pm and if it was not for the medic with having to stay with Coty (and the NHS medic's not arriving till 10.05pm) we cold have got at least 4 or 5 heats in before 10pm.

The rules says "if the result is mathematically sure" not "if the result at heat 10 is mathematically sure". This is not the correct decision.

So as a cost saving exercise Redcar Speedway will not actually be running any more speedway meetings this year. Instead we'll phone Neil Vatcher on Thursday lunchtime and ask him what that evenings result should be.

I know there are a lot of neutrals out there who think this is acceptable but please think - if this was your team would you be happy? There could be serious repercussions from this decision (already seen Facebook comments from people we can't afford to lose).

What with this decision and 'I think I'll take a week off' Auty - joke sport. Zero credibility.

And this isn't sour grapes - if it had been announced on Thursday night that Heat 10 had been awarded 0-5 to Glasgow a few people might have moaned a little but it would have been accepted. But no -referee states otherwise, official website states RESULT DOES NOT STAND for four days.

44 years of watching speedway and I'm questioning why I bother. Well I'm not really - 4 blokes roaring round with no brakes risking life and limb.

But a serious 'sport'? Get a life!

• Like 1

This joke sport in the UK is run by clowns and after 30+ years im finished with it.

Complete shambles.

The BSPA isn't fit for purpose!!!!

I give up!

• Like 1

FFS. So Speedway is now 9 heats, unless you're lucky and you may get anything from 10 to 15 heats.

They wonder why people stop going, its because people want to see 15 heats!

Oh and the result wasn't certain, it was still possible for Redcar to score 39 to Glasgows 32, meaning it was still possible for Glasgow to leave with nothing.

This ruling actually means it potentially could be 6 heats if there is reason to believe only 10 heats would be run.

Re the heat 10 exclusion: isn't the rule (or common interpretation) that you can't be excluded for dangerous riding that hinders a team mate? So whoever hit the deck first would likely be deemed cause of the stoppage?

• Like 1

There are factors that makes this BSPA decision understandable and clear in their statement.

• Heat 10 had already been started twice with the exclusions of both Redcar riders
  • As stated, at worst Glasgow would still have been 8 up if their rider's hadn't completed the heat
  • Because of the worst possible outcome of heat 10 and the Bears curfew at 10pm no other outcome was possible

I agree. I think its a sensible decision based upon the facts at the time.

The only thing is it must stand as a precedent.

I know there are a lot of neutrals out there who think this is acceptable but please think - if this was your team would you be happy?

I think it says a lot that neutrals out there agree with it. Its not one of the savagely biased, one-sided rulings we have come to expect.

Compare it with some of the average fixing decisions in the NL and its positively enlightened.

To turn the argument round, would you be happy with the original ruling if you were in Glasgow's position ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

Don't mind seeing Glasgow get another four points but not so sure about awarding matches like this.

Consistency in decision making etc, and I agree it creates a precedent.

Personally I was more bothered about Coty's wellbeing and when it comes down to it an injured rider will always be more important than points, just how I see it.

Maybe youre just fed up with speedway full stop?

Ithink a lot of die - hard fans are feeling the same way.As a Team sport it really can't be taken seriously and there are better value for money alternatives these days.
  • Like 1

Decision is made, we have to accept it, now cant wait for the second visit of the Tigers and hopefully both sides will be at full strength, so we can get 3 points back.

• Like 1

I bet Stewart Dickson will be one happy man today.

I also hope that he's also reflecting on his less than dignified outburst on the night of the meeting.

Still, moan long and loud enough and you might get your way.

For what it's worth, under normal circumstances Glasgow deserved to win, but, yet again, the clowns that run speedway have managed to make the sport a mockery

I bet Stewart Dickson will be one happy man today.

I also hope that he's also reflecting on his less than dignified outburst on the night of the meeting.

Still, moan long and loud enough and you might get your way.

For what it's worth, under normal circumstances Glasgow deserved to win, but, yet again, the clowns that run speedway have managed to make the sport a mockery

Think Stewart will be happy & feeling vindicated in the outcome but he was hardly moaning he was expressing his opinion on how he saw how things were panning out.

Lets be honest here you me & all the other posters were not in the firing line to actually see what was happening , he was so whatever you me or anyone else says there must have been substance to what he said to protect his club that is the crux of it.

There are factors that makes this BSPA decision understandable and clear in their statement.

• Heat 10 had already been started twice with the exclusions of both Redcar riders
  • As stated, at worst Glasgow would still have been 8 up if their rider's hadn't completed the heat
  • Because of the worst possible outcome of heat 10 and the Bears curfew at 10pm no other outcome was possible

Have to agree that in this instance it was a fair judgement, given all the factors, and permissible under Reg.15.12.

For those who are saying this is another example of UK Speedway becoming a farce, consider how other European leagues determine the results of abandoned matches.

As far as I am aware, they all have earlier cut-offs than heat 10.

As an example, the Danish Super League match between Holsted & Esbjerg on 24th May was abandoned with Esbjerg leading 25 - 22.

According to the report in the Star, "the result will stand with the remaining heats declared as 3-3s to give an official scoreline of 43-40 to Esbjerg".

For all the apparent shortcomings in how the sport is run in Britain, in this instance I prefer how we determine the outcome of abandoned league & cup matches.

Edited by cyclone

I might be wrong in my thinking but what if Richard Lawson had been disqualified (as I think he was the cause of the stoppage) then Redcar could have gained 1 (3-2) heat point and not lost 5 (5-0) in a two rider rerun of heat 10?

• Like 1

Have to agree that in this instance it was a fair judgement, given all the factors, and permissible under Reg.15.12.

For those who are saying this is another example of UK Speedway becoming a farce, consider how other European leagues determine the results of abandoned matches.

As far as I am aware, they all have earlier cut-offs than heat 10.

As an example, the Danish Super League match between Holsted & Esbjerg on 24th May was abandoned with Esbjerg leading 25 - 22.

According to the report in the Star, "the result will stand with the remaining heats declared as 3-3s to give an official scoreline of 43-40 to Esbjerg".

For all the apparent shortcomings in how the sport is run in Britain, in this instance I prefer how we determine the outcome of abandoned league & cup matches.

The one change I would make is that heat 11 should be cut-off, by the end of heat 11 all riders have had scheduled 3 rides each (with both no2s having 4 rides) makes it a reasonably even match.

By not running heat 11 you are penalising away team by not allowing their best rider to take his 3rd ride and also by reducing the numbers of reserve races the home team has had to use..

• Like 4

Think Stewart will be happy & feeling vindicated in the outcome but he was hardly moaning he was expressing his opinion on how he saw how things were panning out.

Lets be honest here you me & all the other posters were not in the firing line to actually see what was happening , he was so whatever you me or anyone else says there must have been substance to what he said to protect his club that is the crux of it.

Fair point, but, by the same token, the decision to award the meeting, does Redcar Bears no favours at all. I don't meaning the awarding of points, it goes deeper than that.

Kevin Keay and his team have worked extremely hard to put Redcar Bears back on the map. The quality of speedway has improved immensely and attendances are up.

Imagine what many supporters , and , more importantly, new supporters, must be thinking about the sport right now when decisions like this are made. I bet you, like me, have introduced people to the sport and then tried to explained the rules and regulations to them!