British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Belle Vue Bt Sports 26/6/17

The problem for Craig is he's not given the chances he deserves. He would be fine over a GP season - given the chance.

I've no doubt he will continue to have riders like Dudek, Milik, Kildermand, MJJ and Zagar trailing in the standings in the next round and into the GP's so he should qualify from the challenge but should something go wrong I hope he gets a wildcard.

Woffy got one after finishing his season on a sub 7.50 average as third heat leader at Wolves and wasn't even National Champion. I also hope that if the situation arose where Craig fluffed his debut year he would get another wildcard pick a year or two later as Tai did.

I guess it's if the face fits rather than pure ability and that does somewhat diminish some achievements in the GPs.

I'd love to see Craig thumping the British flag on his chest after a deserved win for the Brits.

Agree, I like the guys passion for winning and representing his country with pride.

The GP Challenge is such a tough one, with only 3 making it. Also agree if he doesn't qualify he should be seriously considered for a wildcard pick. He won the last two rounds and looking very fast in both leagues. Not riding in Poland and Sweden will go against him. Looking at some of the riders they sign I'm surprised Cook isn't in greater demand.

undue flack are you for real? One of the most talented riders I've ever seen and what happened was tragic 100%. But under the helmet was a brash cocky person who had frequent mishaps often on the wrong side of the law. The off the track flack was absolutely justified

Who knew him better, you or me. Darcy was a young lad, who didn't lead a sheltered life, like you appear to have done, but was not a nasty person. Crawl back under your stone

Edited by Starman2006

Who knew him better, you or me. Darcy was a young lad, who didn't lead a sheltered life, like you appear to have done, but was not a nasty person. Crawl back under your stone

I'm sure he wasn't nasty.And i'm as gutted as any Poole fan what happened to him,and wish him all the best in the future.But as a pro sportsman he fell short

• Like 6

Agree, I like the guys passion for winning and representing his country with pride.

The GP Challenge is such a tough one, with only 3 making it. Also agree if he doesn't qualify he should be seriously considered for a wildcard pick. He won the last two rounds and looking very fast in both leagues. Not riding in Poland and Sweden will go against him. Looking at some of the riders they sign I'm surprised Cook isn't in greater demand.

The problem for Craig is he's not given the chances he deserves. He would be fine over a GP season - given the chance.

I've no doubt he will continue to have riders like Dudek, Milik, Kildermand, MJJ and Zagar trailing in the standings in the next round and into the GP's so he should qualify from the challenge but should something go wrong I hope he gets a wildcard.

Woffy got one after finishing his season on a sub 7.50 average as third heat leader at Wolves and wasn't even National Champion. I also hope that if the situation arose where Craig fluffed his debut year he would get another wildcard pick a year or two later as Tai did.

I guess it's if the face fits rather than pure ability and that does somewhat diminish some achievements in the GPs.

I'd love to see Craig thumping the British flag on his chest after a deserved win for the Brits.

Cook is showing improved form this season but IMO I don't think he would do fine as a GP rider,but happy to be proved wrong though.
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the meeting. BTs coverage was good and it looked a really healthy crowd. Track really needs sorted out though.

Starman hasn't changed,what a complete clownshoe.

• Like 1

Cook is showing improved form this season but IMO I don't think he would do fine as a GP rider,but happy to be proved wrong though.

I agree.Cook is improving ,which is great but can't see him doing well in the GP's.Around Bombers standard I think.

Any rider that qualifies deserves to be there inmho.

• Like 1

I agree.Cook is improving ,which is great but can't see him doing well in the GP's.Around Bombers standard I think.

Any rider that qualifies deserves to be there inmho.

Yep I hear what you say regarding Cook, but will jump to his defence that he is a totally different rider this year, far more relaxed on the bike. Was amazed at the BF when he missed the gate but no panic set in.

Big call to make the GP, but I personally if he failed to qualify, a wild card would not be wasted on him!

• Like 1

as good as Darcy was he wasn't a one off. Seen many with as much talent and some made it like Craven , Collins, Loram and Gollob and others although very good never hit the top level like Screen and Kelly Moran. We will never know how far Darcy would have got. The talent was there but it was doubtful if the application was. We sadly will never know and for that reason as good as Darcy was he can't be considered a great

Regarding Darcy, yes agree with you was an amazing talent, but I have always questioned how he coped under pressure. I've watched Darcy all over the UK & Europe & never for one minute questioned his ability, but his record in GP finals is not that great, so many times he would buckle in SF,

When he came back from his ban for Swindon, yes I thought he was a better rider, yet when Swindon travelled to Poole, bumper crowd, did he handle the pressure, nope.

Would he have over come this, we will never know. But for talent he was right up there. The only rider in my era who was more NATURALLY talented was Gollob, who IMO could do things on a bike like no other!

as good as Darcy was he wasn't a one off. Seen many with as much talent and some made it like Craven , Collins, Loram and Gollob and others although very good never hit the top level like Screen and Kelly Moran. We will never know how far Darcy would have got. The talent was there but it was doubtful if the application was. We sadly will never know and for that reason as good as Darcy was he can't be considered a great

I beg to differ Gavan.

I think it's no coincidence that Cook has flourished by riding the NSS track on Friday nights rather than Armadale, it's been the making of him and has improved his scores on foreign soil no end. Whether he gets into the GP's or not you would like to think that Poland and Sweden will both offer him regular racing so he can improve a bit more, which he won't do in our Championship. A good display(s) at Lezno in the SWC will help to that end too.

• Like 1

I strongly disagree - DW#43 was the most naturally gifted speedway rider I have had the pleasure to watch - he is indeed up there with the greats in this sport.

• Like 6

I strongly disagree - DW#43 was the most naturally gifted speedway rider I have had the pleasure to watch - he is indeed up there with the greats in this sport.

But that is exactly the point gavan is making Steve, undoubtedly one of the most talented speedway riders we have ever seen but you cannot class him as one of the greats as his potential was never realised sadly. Sporting greats are usually measured but their achievements and for that reason doesn't come close.

• Like 2

But that is exactly the point gavan is making Steve, undoubtedly one of the most talented speedway riders we have ever seen but you cannot class him as one of the greats as his potential was never realised sadly. Sporting greats are usually measured but their achievements and for that reason doesn't come close.

Yes I can (class him as one of the greats). I would also class Leigh Adams as one of the greats too and he sadly didn't become world champion either but both great nonetheless.

• Like 2

who knew him better lol your priceless!!! Great rider that is unquestionable. Would I want my children to grow up and do the things he done off of the track??? No

Yes I can (class him as one of the greats). I would also class Leigh Adams as one of the greats too and he sadly didn't become world champion either but both great nonetheless.

In 20 years time when people are discussing the great riders I don't believe Darcys name will be among them. That is only because his career is cut short before he can be considered a true great. The 4 most naturally talented riders I've seen live are Ward Gollob Loram and Jan O Pedersen. Only 3 world titles between them. When listing great riders of the sport Leigh Adams would be some way down it but still above Ward. If I had to list 20 legends then neither would make it. If I had to list 20 of the most naturally gifted then Ward would be near the top Edited by Gavan
  • Like 7

I can`t believe that after everything Andy Tomlin said on this forum about his sponsorship with Hans Andersen and how they fell out big time( even taking Hans to court) he is sponsoring him big time again !!

Probably realised life's too bloody short to bear grudges. Fair play to them

• Like 1