British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Belle Vue Bt Sports 26/6/17

In 20 years time when people are discussing the great riders I don't believe Darcys name will be among them. That is only because his career is cut short before he can be considered a true great. The 4 most naturally talented riders I've seen live are Ward Gollob Loram and Jan O Pedersen. Only 3 world titles between them. When listing great riders of the sport Leigh Adams would be some way down it but still above Ward. If I had to list 20 legends then neither would make it. If I had to list 20 of the most naturally gifted then Ward would be near the top

Excellent post, sums it up very well.

• Like 4

I don't think any of us would want to think or know what our children get up to and many do a lot worse things than what Darcy got up to and if Darcy wasn't in the public eye maybe we wouldn't have heard about it.

I am not condoning his off track actions but I think continually slating him for his past is a bit over the top considering how he lives his life now. He should be remembered for his on track actions and we should be grateful that we were lucky enough to see him ride.

• Like 6

Well said FB!

If both you and foreverblue think what went on in the hotel room that night acceptable- and that kids get up to far worse- then i feel sorry for you both !! Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 7

If both you and foreverblue think what went on in the hotel room that night acceptable- and that kids get up to far worse- then i feel sorry for you both !!

It was acceptable to a judge that didn't prosecute either of the defendants.

Edited by foreverblue

If both you and foreverblue think what went on in the hotel room that night acceptable- and that kids get up to far worse- then i feel sorry for you both !!

What, going back to a hotel room with a drunk bird? Take a trip down to Bournemouth town centre at about 2am Saturday morning and have a look around mate. Thousands of Darcy Ward's, as far as the eye can see.

Lad was innocent and very much typical of people that age.

I hadn't read that the judge considered what they did to be acceptable? Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, the girl involved must have had some bottle, lots of it in fact, to make the complaint in the first place.

Don't be a spoon mate. Nobody is squeaky clean. Might not have been the classiest thing to do, but it certainly wasn't unacceptable. Bet you're glad you never were a teenager.

I hadn't read that the judge considered what they did to be acceptable? Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, the girl involved must have had some bottle, lots of it in fact, to make the complaint in the first place.

There were plenty of bottles consumed I imagine by all involved and all were cleared.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why when someone calls Darcy on the greats people have to bring up every thing he did in his private life. He made a fair few mistakes but i like to think about what he was like on the track rather than his private life.

• Like 7

I don't think any of us would want to think or know what our children get up to and many do a lot worse things than what Darcy got up to and if Darcy wasn't in the public eye maybe we wouldn't have heard about it.

I am not condoning his off track actions but I think continually slating him for his past is a bit over the top considering how he lives his life now. He should be remembered for his on track actions and we should be grateful that we were lucky enough to see him ride.

It's comments like that this that stir up the flak he gets... as shown by the subsequent posts.

I'm aware of the verdict, I hadn't realised the judge thought that what had happened was acceptable though.

Some people will always have an agenda with Ward, it's only when people like you reveal the actual facts, rather than made up bollox, that will shut them up once and for all.

I like to think of the positive side of sport and some people will always dislike Darcy for his wrongdoings but he did so much on the track that I am grateful to have witnessed, some of his races were truly breathtaking. He certainly would have loved the NSS track and might have misgivings about the Poole track currently but he is very much missed by most fans for his on track actions.

It was acceptable to a judge that didn't prosecute either of the defendants.

Wasnt Darcy own legal team quoted as saying what went on was "disturbing"? Just not actually illegal.

Wasnt Darcy own legal team quoted as saying what went on was "disturbing"? Just not actually illegal.

Don't know what was said exactly. as I said I don't condone his off track actions.

Fits the Poole 'prove it' mentality. No loophole ever ignored. Their riders and management can do or say whatever they like, apart from fix a track it seems.

Blind faith can be touching.....

...except in this case.

Edited by Rob McCaffery

How do you know "it was acceptable to a judge" if you don't know what was said?

I don't know I said that because the defendants were cleared.