British Speedway Forum

I suppose this is a consequence of SGP but I miss proper international test matches.

With Poland now having such a dominant position, wouldn't it make sense for Sweden, Denmark and GB (and maybe Australia) to organise series of international matches, with a requirement for teams to have 50% under23 riders?

Providing riders with the chance of gaining experience of this kind must be essential if these nations are to have any hope of matching the Poles? They need to co-operate

Used to enjoy attending Test Matches (Denmark/USA/ Sweden etc) but not sure if fans, or even some riders, have the desire to ride for their National Team any longer but certainly worthy of debate if speedway is to try and raise it's profile certainly within the media.

I suppose this is a consequence of SGP but I miss proper international test matches.

With Poland now having such a dominant position, wouldn't it make sense for Sweden, Denmark and GB (and maybe Australia) to organise series of international matches, with a requirement for teams to have 50% under23 riders?

Providing riders with the chance of gaining experience of this kind must be essential if these nations are to have any hope of matching the Poles? They need to co-operate

Sounds great to me.

If there is cost involved I can't see it happenng though.

I used to enjoy International Meeting years ago too.

I suppose the Promoters would have to ask themselves whether or not folk would turn out to watch Internationals, when lots of Tracks are having trouble getting people to turn out for their Home Club Meetings.

If they think they won't turn up well they are probably right not to run them. A great shame though.

The problem with extensive rider commitments these days is that it would be almost impossible to organise, certainly for the major nations. Back in the day, Poland or Sweden would come over and ride 5 or 6 meetings in 8 - 10 days but there's no chance of that happening now. A way forward might be to invite teams from some emerging nations (Germany or Latvia, for example) to send a team to ride against our under23s, with the possibility of a reciprocal tour. It's most important for our younger riders to get experience and exposure on the continent

• Like 1

Rosco did say that he has got one arranged in Tarnow next year in an interview after World Cup.

In an ideal world I would like to see two or three Test Matches a year, along with under 21 internationals to give the youngsters experience. But the chances of this happening are between slim and none. It would be great if these matches could be televised, sponsored and entrance fees subsidised so that a big deal is made of them.

IF they could get a good sponsor or some tv revenue? Have to be on a Saturday night/Sunday afternoon ..... sounds almost impossible unless it's all youngsters .....

IF they could get a good sponsor or some tv revenue? Have to be on a Saturday night/Sunday afternoon ..... sounds almost impossible unless it's all youngsters .....

Part of the BT (or whoever has the rights at the time) deal, like the British Final was this year. would like all the Major Events televised and sponsored. Make them a bit more prestigious.

The problem with extensive rider commitments these days is that it would be almost impossible to organise...

For British promoters perhaps. Poland have no difficulty in organising half a dozen test matches every year, with the latest one between Poland v Russia being only a few weeks ago.

British promoters will need to learn to look beyond the perimeters of their own car parks at some stage if the National team is to progress. Mind you, some don't care what lies beyond their own car parks as long as they get their weekly "fix" of league racing. Happy enough with two slices of Mothers Pride and a blob of Stork Margerine, when with a bit of ambition, they could be feasting from the top table like GB did some years ago.

Edited by uk martin

If you look at the number of Polish and Swedish league meetings each of the SWC final competitors have ridden in, it isn't difficult to spot a pattern.

Even taking into account the benefit of Poland and Sweden riders having a "home" league, all the Polish riders race full time in Sweden and all the Swedish riders in the Ekstraliga. No British rider races in the top flight in Poland and only Robert Lambert has appears in the Swedish league this year.

Untitled.png

• Like 1

There was a great International Tournament in the early 70s sponsored by the Daily Mirror if I recall correctly.

The teams had seven riders and the qualifiers were raced on British League tracks. I think we ahd a couple at Cradley featuring the Swedes and a combined Norway / Denmark Team. All the stars rode in it and the Final was at Wembley ending in the famous Michanek / Collins run off with the Brit hitting the deck and the Swede getting excluded.

It was brilliant but has never been repeated since.

• Like 4

Not neccessarily each year, but instead of only having test matches, Speedway should have a proper International Team tournament. Something similar to the Rugby Six Nations Tournament, with teams meeting each other in a round-robin-tournament once either at home or away.

With possible tv coverage, a Speedway Five Nations with the "Big Five" of Great Britain, Poland, Sweden, Australia, and Denmark, could be a big thing. Australia's home meetings could be staged at UK tracks.

There was a great International Tournament in the early 70s sponsored by the Daily Mirror if I recall correctly.

The teams had seven riders and the qualifiers were raced on British League tracks. I think we ahd a couple at Cradley featuring the Swedes and a combined Norway / Denmark Team. All the stars rode in it and the Final was at Wembley ending in the famous Michanek / Collins run off with the Brit hitting the deck and the Swede getting excluded.

It was brilliant but has never been repeated since.

Remember watching the Aussies take on Poland at Cowley in front of one of the biggest crowds at Oxford!

• Like 1