British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Capacity Of Uk Speedway Stadiums

On another thread there is a debate on could any other stadium in UK stage another GP. How big is the capacity of the different stadiums. I would think Ipswich would be one of the biggest

Cardiff has one big advantage over every other speedway track in the UK - it has a roof, which means it's guaranteed to go ahead.

So, in thinking about moving it, it would be a major factor.

• Like 2

How many at Cardiff 35-40k?...No where else could get even half way close.As you say Ippo might have the biggest capacity.Looked like it the last time I was there.Maybe 8k ??. Perterborough has a big grandstand.Maybe 7k.Just a wild guess.

Edited by Bald Bloke

On another thread there is a debate on could any other stadium in UK stage another GP. How big is the capacity of the different stadiums. I would think Ipswich would be one of the biggest

Wasn't the National Speedway Stadium built for this purpose - for main/major event speedway activities? :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest

Wasn't the National Speedway Stadium built for this purpose - for main/major event speedway activities? :icon_smile_clown:

Yeah but I think the capacity at the mo isn't great due Health and safety.

Yeah but I think the capacity at the mo isn't great due Health and safety.

Poole can hold 7k comfortably..

Poole can hold 7k comfortably..

5,500 actually

On another thread there is a debate on could any other stadium in UK stage another GP.

Any track that has an FIM licence. Only problem is you'd have to restrict capacity.

I think with the temporary stands at the 2016 world team championship, BV was close to 9000.

Its a race track, arguably the only track in the UK that would be fit for a GP (apart from Cardiff).

Its obvious it would be a sell out within days if not hours., so television viewing essential - and BT do a good job.

Would you really want a GP at micky mouse tracks like most are when on the inside of a dog track?

I would suggest that the only other place to hold a GP other than Cardiff is the National Speedway Stadium. I believe that Cardiff is undoubtedly the best Venue. If, however, Great Britain were to get another Grand Prix then, to me, the only option would be Manchester.

I know the Crowds would be nowhere near Cardiff but as far as I am concerned it is the only real alternative.

• Like 1

Swindon has had thousands at the stadium but now due to H & S the capacity is limited to about 5000, the new stadium, if we ever get it is about 3500, so any decent FIM meeting is doubtful even though the club claim they want FIM meetings.

With BV wanting to hold major meetings, it is a pity that more capacity is not available for big meetings.

Edited by A ORLOV

Brandon?

Brandon?

There was over 10,000 at the last Stock Car meeting held there.

NSS is the same as Prague (10k) when MCC deliver on their promise and finish the thing and with the stands on turn 3 & 4.

Infrastructure is in place following SWC with some lessons learnt.