British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Leicester V Kings Lynn Saturday 5th August

You can't blame Leicester but it will affect the crowd figures which will hurt Leicester and the racing will be even worse than usual. Leicester would beat Kings Lynn with their full team but at least it would be reasonably competitive, fans want racing not processions.

Yes that's true but I got the feeling after Leicester's performances this season it didn't really matter and the fans just enjoyed all the 5-1's. Not often you see team riding these days. Regarding the crowd ~ I think a lot of tracks would be pleased with the amount of people there tonight. Probably not as big as usual but still pretty good.

He is a championship No 1 and there isn't much of a difference. Thing is, though, he was utterly pathetic and I hope he was heavily fined. With the Grand Monarch in charge, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

That score really doesn't go anywhere near justifying just how important he was to this meeting. He fought for every point and his brilliant passing moves turned a ruin of a match into something almost worth watching. Star of the show by miles.

Thomas and Lambert weren't interested, Garrity was worse and we had to put with Peter York and his inane drivel, for heavens sake.

One interesting point : McGregor apparently refused permission for a sun break which caused several toys to be thrown out in the pits.

Good summing up. Heaven knows what Garrity was up to but definitely something. He couldn't have been that unlucky to start 15 metres back three times.

Thank you Mr McGregor for not allowing a sun break as the match was drawn out enough as it was with just 7 heats gone in an hour and a quarter ~ 8.45 when heat 8 started.

I must be mellowing in my old age as I actually enjoyed hearing Peter York's voice again and thought he did okay. :lol:

• Like 1

I fail to see the logic of this meeting, am are apalled this was allowed to take place. The organisers don't seem to grasp the concept of the sport in that the sole purpose of putting on a meeting is to entertain the paying public. Leicester's race night will always represent a problem, trying to facilitate the crowded calender and the shortage of riders, but to put on a fiasco like last night was so embarrassingly unfair to everyone. Unfair to the Fans, unfair to the sport, unfair to Leicester, unfair to KL, infact unfair to all the teams and riders in the Premiership League.

When this situation rises its head, there should be a planB to implement that would safe guard all concerned. Award the points to Leicester by all means and put on an alternative meeting instead. An individual meeting, or a handicap event or a 4 team effort. It wouldn't be hard to substitute this one sided affair and make it more interesting. At least the fans would go home happy and the Sport wouldn't have egg on its face like now.

I was hoping this year would be the start of a new beginning for British Speedway, but it has turned out the worse for some time. Shortage of riders is highlighted as the main problem our sport faces and the BSPA has done nothing to remedy this. For any chance of surviving this sport needs a Major Overall. Reducing teams to 5 men would be a start. If teams are to use guests and RR then nominated days have to be used to avoid the constant clashes.

It seems common sense rules the world.......... with the exception of British Speedway.....

• Like 3

I fail to see the logic of this meeting, am are apalled this was allowed to take place. The organisers don't seem to grasp the concept of the sport in that the sole purpose of putting on a meeting is to entertain the paying public. Leicester's race night will always represent a problem, trying to facilitate the crowded calender and the shortage of riders, but to put on a fiasco like last night was so embarrassingly unfair to everyone. Unfair to the Fans, unfair to the sport, unfair to Leicester, unfair to KL, infact unfair to all the teams and riders in the Premiership League.

When this situation rises its head, there should be a planB to implement that would safe guard all concerned. Award the points to Leicester by all means and put on an alternative meeting instead. An individual meeting, or a handicap event or a 4 team effort. It wouldn't be hard to substitute this one sided affair and make it more interesting. At least the fans would go home happy and the Sport wouldn't have egg on its face like now.

I was hoping this year would be the start of a new beginning for British Speedway, but it has turned out the worse for some time. Shortage of riders is highlighted as the main problem our sport faces and the BSPA has done nothing to remedy this. For any chance of surviving this sport needs a Major Overall. Reducing teams to 5 men would be a start. If teams are to use guests and RR then nominated days have to be used to avoid the constant clashes.

It seems common sense rules the world.......... with the exception of British Speedway.....

I agree with most you say - but 5 man teams ? Water the sport down even more I'd have thought a better route is to get to the bottom as to why riders don't want to race here and try to find a way to sort it so they do want to race here - why is it bottom of almost every riders list to want to race here ? - we have to do something and fast this sport is dead man walking . I really hope with Buster as chairman of BSPA it was going to be a new beginning for our sport how wrong could I be ?

I agree with most you say - but 5 man teams ? Water the sport down even more I'd have thought a better route is to get to the bottom as to why riders don't want to race here and try to find a way to sort it so they do want to race here - why is it bottom of almost every riders list to want to race here ? - we have to do something and fast this sport is dead man walking . I really hope with Buster as chairman of BSPA it was going to be a new beginning for our sport how wrong could I be ?

It's quite simple = Money!

something seriously needs changing within the bspa

The appointment of Buster Chapman as Chairman of the BSPA has genuinely made things worse - that what it looks like from the outside at least. Bereft of sensible ideas that would tempt some old fans back and more new ones to give the sport a try. Nothing has happened , so far, on his watch , that improves speedway or shows it in a better light. It has not just been "shot in the foot" again it is writhing around in it's death throes. Thankfully no-one outside the sport hears of the latest insanities because the media ignores the existence of speedway,

I believe trying to compete with those other countries has been our biggest downfall. The three main reason are 1, Financial; 2, Fixed race Night/ Number of fixtures; 3 State of our tracks.. Some of these can to addressed, but the main issue is Money... We can never compete with the corporate involvement or the number the fans generated in other countries.. For this reason I feel it best we get our own house in an order where we can run at a sustainable level.....

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 2

i agree with all the comments that this meeting was a farce given all the guests etc but just to put the score in context Lynn got 9 points less away than Rye House got last night and as far as I can see from the updates didn't used a dingly dangly double score doophoops. That's a whole 9 points less than a full team (guest reserve) scored at home.

I'm not defending what happened at Leicester but it makes you think a bit.

• Like 1

Buster is delusional if he believes "his way" is the right way to restore speedway to anything like it's well supported days. It is spiralling into an "It's a knockout" style of existence where fewer and fewer people will pay money to see it. Where are the other members of the BSPA? Hiding behind Buster while he makes things worse and worse? Under his watch the only positive thing has been to get BT to take on broadcasting the sport after Sky walked away - IF that was his doing. Where are the marketing ideas that were much trumpeted in the winter? Where are any positive ideas from within the BSPA? This winter will be most interesting in terms of what they next come up with to "save the sport".

I must be mellowing in my old age as I actually enjoyed hearing Peter York's voice again and thought he did okay. :lol:

OMG! Taxi for Gemini!

• Like 3

Yes that's true but I got the feeling after Leicester's performances this season it didn't really matter and the fans just enjoyed all the 5-1's. Not often you see team riding these days. Regarding the crowd ~ I think a lot of tracks would be pleased with the amount of people there tonight. Probably not as big as usual but still pretty good.

Good summing up. Heaven knows what Garrity was up to but definitely something. He couldn't have been that unlucky to start 15 metres back three times.

Thank you Mr McGregor for not allowing a sun break as the match was drawn out enough as it was with just 7 heats gone in an hour and a quarter ~ 8.45 when heat 8 started.

Either that or you are going deaf, Gem Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

It's quite simple = Money!

Not just money, it's also how erratic the fixtures are.

"We head to Leicester on Saturday but my main focus is Monday when we have a very special meeting against Somerset here at the Adrian Flux Arena." That is a direct quote from Buster Chapman (the man in charge of British Speedway) on the KL website and with an attitude like that it's no wonder the sport is in the state that it is. A total disregard for anything other than trying to get fans through his own turnstiles. What he doesn't realise is that if every promoter took that attitude (and most of them do) then there is no real competition (like whoever went tonight witnessed) and the sport (and I use the term loosely) is in a downward spiral into oblivion

I'm sure he'd have something to say if Somerset weren't interested in his 'very special meeting' because they have a very important meeting at home on Wednesday.

So what do you suggest? Cancel? Then Leicester would possibly have to ride two meetings in one week which is never a good idea.

Down to Kings Lynn to produce a competitive lineup.

Lol

Seem to remember Matt Ford cancelling a meeting due to a poor line up..................guess thats fine then in your eyes.

• Like 2

Keep the team matches/league going, but have an individual riders league as well with points earned from race points and rides taken throughout the season regardless of whether they come from guest appearances or from own team matches.

Make that the main competition and have a sub-category for under-21 riders.

End of season, two team matches with the teams drawn from the top 14 individuals, staged at the home tracks of the two top points scorers, with double race points on offer. Should also ensure Chris Harris wins something before he retires.

Not just money, it's also how erratic the fixtures are.

I doubt that, if the Poles rode five nights a week they'd still have riders in abundance.