British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Time To Crack Down On The Aussies?

Bottom line for me is I only want to see riders committed to the sport UK ,I know that's not everybodies" cup of tea" but that's my opinion on how to revive the sport if that's possible in Uk.

And I font disagree with that. But let's not get rid of riders like Morris or Lindgren or Bjerre just because they may miss the odd meeting.

I'd start by restricting doubling up to Brits, planning fixtures properly, restrict the top flight to two race nights per week, a minimum number of Brits per team. Attach something like a 5 as the minimum average for a foreign rider for team building. That would be a starting point.

I'd also be interested to see the stats for riders missing due to doubling up vs those riding overseas. And how many of those overseas fixture clashes could have been avoided due to sensible fixture planning. Or just a modicum of competence (refer Morris and the farce of the fours)

And I font disagree with that. But let's not get rid of riders like Morris or Lindgren or Bjerre just because they may miss the odd meeting.

I'd start by restricting doubling up to Brits, planning fixtures properly, restrict the top flight to two race nights per week, a minimum number of Brits per team. Attach something like a 5 as the minimum average for a foreign rider for team building. That would be a starting point.

I'd also be interested to see the stats for riders missing due to doubling up vs those riding overseas. And how many of those overseas fixture clashes could have been avoided due to sensible fixture planning. Or just a modicum of competence (refer Morris and the farce of the fours)

I Actualy think this doubling up/ down in GB is causing a lot more trouble than the foreign missing riders.Only my opinion though.

Ps

Restricting race nights in GB is a major problem that would be difficult to solve IMO

Edited by Fromafar

I Actualy think this doubling up/ down in GB is causing a lot more trouble than the foreign missing riders.Only my opinion though.

I agree. This could Be mitigated having 2 fixed nights for PL (CL could run the other 5 nights) . Job done.

Then plan fixtures better (eg font schedule a meeting featuring GP riders on a GP Saturday. Don't schedule a meeting featuring fricke ot lambert to clash with world u21 champs. Don't schedule a meeting featuring too Danes to clash with the Dsnish final). Common sense per the above would I'm sure remove 90% of non injury related unavailability. And I don't think fans have an issue with facility for a genuinely injured rider.

we need to shut the door on all of them .

I think that is a step too far. We don't want to stop Aussies racing here (although judging how many of them are slagging off British speedway on Twitter we should!). No, we just need to set rules in place that whilst they race in British Speedway they treat British speedway with respect and priority.

If they choose to race elsewhere that is absolutely fine, provided it is not at expense of British speedway clubs and fans.

• Like 4

Of course closing the door on all of them holds the risk of us missing out another Leigh Adams , but sadly for every Leigh there are a dozen Holder Doyle Morris types . they are the ones who will be the expense of British Speedway and British riders . and the only way to prevent that is to stop the source completely .you wouldn't be allowed to sign on as a schoolboy in football and then walk away scot free when it suited ,because you sign a binding contract , so why should they be allowed to do it in speedway

OK, name twelve who you are claiming are acting like this.

The likes of Kevin Doolan, Sam Masters, Jye Etheridge, Josh Pickering, Cameron Heeps, Josh Grajczonek, etc. - are they included?

Nah, you're just over-exaggerating and stereotyping all Aussies, just because of the antics of a few, mainly Holder.

I'm sure we could all dig up examples of other nationalities that have been naughty boys in the past ,and missed meetings in the UK for others abroad, such as Zetterstrom & Jonasson, etc, so should we be banning Swedes when we complete Brexit also.

Christ, the quality of the UK leagues is poor enough with adopting such loony suggestions as this :mad:

• Like 4

OK, name twelve who you are claiming are acting like this.

The likes of Kevin Doolan, Sam Masters, Jye Etheridge, Josh Pickering, Cameron Heeps, Josh Grajczonek, etc. - are they included?

Nah, you're just over-exaggerating and stereotyping all Aussies, just because of the antics of a few, mainly Holder.

I'm sure we could all dig up examples of other nationalities that have been naughty boys in the past ,and missed meetings in the UK for others abroad, such as Zetterstrom & Jonasson, etc, so should we be banning Swedes when we complete Brexit also.

Christ, the quality of the UK leagues is poor enough with adopting such loony suggestions as this :mad:

I endorse fully what you say cyclone. An excellent comment. :approve:

Hey, I don't single out Chris Holder for what he did, or Jack, or Roo Boy for what he said, or Troy Batchelor for what he did.

Oo er. I'd better stop now before I'm accused of Aussie bashing.

Of course closing the door on all of them holds the risk of us missing out another Leigh Adams , but sadly for every Leigh there are a dozen Holder Doyle Morris types . they are the ones who will be the expense of British Speedway and British riders . and the only way to prevent that is to stop the source completely .you wouldn't be allowed to sign on as a schoolboy in football and then walk away scot free when it suited ,because you sign a binding contract , so why should they be allowed to do it in speedway

What have Morris or Doyle done wrong? Who are the dozens of Aussies you talk of. Sure Doyle whinges a bit, but he's the best rider in the world, he's still racing in the uk and plenty of previous world champs have whinged when they were unhappy about things (mauger, Collins, crump spring to mind)

Speedway riders hardly sign a comparable contract to footballers, given that they are paid no salary and the club can terminate it at any time. If signing a contract guaranteed riders money for the duration you may have a point but it's essentially a zero hour contract.

• Like 3

Problem is currently the system is left wide open to abuse ,, did Holder ,Doyle , Morris etc ever whinge when they were earning a living as Middle order Premier league riders ? of course not . Its only when they become proficient enough for Poland to show interest they start .. its too late to stop the current crop taking the piss , so just in case we get more holder doyle and morrisses , we need to shut the door on all of them .

By Morris I take it you mean nick Morris, what has he done to be dragged into this, Jason Doyle for that matter. Agree with you about Holder, you could argue about the timing but Kings Lynn were quite justified in dropping him, and Batchelor come to that. Don`t know what happened with Schlein to get his latest Twitter whinge but if he doesn't want to ride in a show piece meeting for his Championship club then maybe he should just keep that between him and them.

• Like 2

Guest compost

I think that is a step too far. We don't want to stop Aussies racing here (although judging how many of them are slagging off British speedway on Twitter we should!). No, we just need to set rules in place that whilst they race in British Speedway they treat British speedway with respect and priority.

If they choose to race elsewhere that is absolutely fine, provided it is not at expense of British speedway clubs and fans.

Shouldn't that allow the bspa to charge them with something like 'bringing the sport into disrepute' (and don't laugh about the irony) ?

Many firms have such employee actions as disiplinary offences written into contracts of employment.

Such action could be fines or bans of varying lengths (including permanent). Even football in the guise of the FA & PL monitor this sort of thing and take action.

Just a thought.

Edited by compost

Guest compost

give us an instance .of Adams ,Crump , Sanders , wanting to change the Way British speedway operates for the benefit of their Polish commitments , or give us an instance of when they didn't give 100% priority to their British clubs ,

Back in the 70's Ivan Mauger (a Kiwi of course) gave priority to his Long Track committments over British Speedway - didn't he have it written into his Exeter contract that he had to be flown back from his sunday continental meeting to race for the Falcons on the Monday (otherwise he wouldn't have ridden for them) ?

Interesting article here, which may hint at future difficulties for Aussies coming over here

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/08/just-not-cricket-english-clubs-cry-foul-over-new-ruling-on-amateur-status

While few Aussies come over here on holiday visas the story foreshadows a possible tightening of visa eligibilty across the board. Also note the suggestion that it may make it difficult for Brits planning to winter down under.

• Like 1

Shouldn't that allow the bspa to charge them with something like 'bringing the sport into disrepute' (and don't laugh about the irony) ?

Many firms have such employee actions as disiplinary offences written into contracts of employment.

Such action could be fines or bans of varying lengths (including permanent). Even football in the guise of the FA & PL monitor this sort of thing and take action.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure you could describe any of the posts as "bringing the sport into disrepute". Riders are rightfully annoyed that they have been dropped on the day of the cutoff and are now effectively prevented from earning a living due to the artificially created deadline date. A deadline created this season by the BSPA, presumably without consideration of the consequences.

I'm not sure you could describe any of the posts as "bringing the sport into disrepute". Riders are rightfully annoyed that they have been dropped on the day of the cutoff and are now effectively prevented from earning a living due to the artificially created deadline date. A deadline created this season by the BSPA, presumably without consideration of the consequences.

It was put in place so unscrupulous promoters couldn't cheat, I doubt none of them thought it a way of punishing riders?
  • Like 2

Interesting article here, which may hint at future difficulties for Aussies coming over here

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/08/just-not-cricket-english-clubs-cry-foul-over-new-ruling-on-amateur-status

While few Aussies come over here on holiday visas the story foreshadows a possible tightening of visa eligibilty across the board. Also note the suggestion that it may make it difficult for Brits planning to winter down under.

I think the key words being used are amateur status and professional status. Most speedway riders will be registered as a business and such should be classed as professional I would have thought.