British Speedway Forum
iainb

Why Not Work With The Poles?

I don't know gustix, like I say it's just the kernel of an idea. So something like a Polish and British club sign 14 riders between them, there could be an overlap and when the Poles want to use Jacob Thorsell for example on UK race night they send over one of their assets to replace him, maybe a young Pole looking for experience or a rider struggling for form. They're going to get Thorsell anyway, this way out saves him getting a 28 day ban, the fans get to see a full team and a new rider who in the standard of our league may excel

Iris123 I only mentioned football as I know they operate feeder clubs. Where speedway differs from football is that players only play in one league unlike in speedway, so yes to do exactly the same is as you say ridiculous... But I'm not suggesting speedway does the same... I also find your tone a bit aggressive

• Like 1

British riders are not up to the standard required to compete at the top level in Poland so while a good idea the reality is it cannot happen. Unfortunately two choices, bring the Poles down to the lowest common denominator (will not happen) or GB walk away because riders in the GB are simply not good enough and leave the Poles looking for some alternative opposition which with the Russians, Latvians and a combined Scandinavian presence could be provided. Maybe at individual or pairs but anything else Gab has no chance. Speedway in the U.K. needs to go back to basics and start again if it is to survive, the alternative is oblivion. Accepr that GB riders are not at the same level but might be in a few years

That's been my thoughts for a long time. Clubs over here need to concentrate on producing their own local talent, rather than expensive imports.

Look at rugby league, how many times have you seen a player tempted over to rugby union by a big pay cheque? It doesn't seem to affect rugby league clubs, they have an impressive conveyor belt of young local talent just waiting to come through.

Hopefully one day speedway will cotton on and be in a similar position.

It seems perfectly clear that there is only ever going to be one winner between Poland and GB speedway. Surely it's time to start working with the Polish league and not against it.

Why don't UK clubs team up with a Polish counterpart and run squad systems between them. That way when the Polish club calls on a rider from the UK they can send one of their own across to the UK as a replacement, every one's a winner. The Poles get the rider they want, the rider gets the big money and experience (that Cook and Lambert etc are looking for), the dropped polish rider gets to ride in the UK to add to their experience and the UK teams are able to field a full side.

A number of football clubs have affiliated feeder clubs (or used to anyway).

I wonder if anybody is forward thinking enough to make it happen, or will toys continued to be thrown out of prams until there is no professional speedway league in this country.

There just isn't the money here and probably never will be. With regard to professional speedway, I'm surprised there's any now, most tracks are deserted, with the meager crowd usually crammed into one small corner.

That's been my thoughts for a long time. Clubs over here need to concentrate on producing their own local talent, rather than expensive imports.

Look at rugby league, how many times have you seen a player tempted over to rugby union by a big pay cheque? It doesn't seem to affect rugby league clubs, they have an impressive conveyor belt of young local talent just waiting to come through.

Hopefully one day speedway will cotton on and be in a similar position.

The difference is that you can play rugby at school and it costs nothing.

British riders are not up to the standard required to compete at the top level in Poland so while a good idea the reality is it cannot happen. Unfortunately two choices, bring the Poles down to the lowest common denominator (will not happen) or GB walk away because riders in the GB are simply not good enough and leave the Poles looking for some alternative opposition which with the Russians, Latvians and a combined Scandinavian presence could be provided. Maybe at individual or pairs but anything else Gab has no chance. Speedway in the U.K. needs to go back to basics and start again if it is to survive, the alternative is oblivion. Accepr that GB riders are not at the same level but might be in a few years

I think it's pretty obvious that GB has to go back to basics, but year after year we seem not to recognise the we are not the force in World Speedway any more.A few of the top riders are just using us to top up their earnings and don't give there all it saving for abroad where their earnings are much bigger.
  • Like 1

It's like a role reversal from our dominant years, so we need to now look for same night racedays. We also need tracks that suit the bikes these days .... surely would help our cause?

As for working with the Polish, they have the upper hand for now. Do we need to look at the way Denmark have pulled rank?

The only way you can work with the Polish federation and clubs is to give them what they want, when they want it each and every time !

It's like a role reversal from our dominant years, so we need to now look for same night racedays. We also need tracks that suit the bikes these days .... surely would help our cause?

As for working with the Polish, they have the upper hand for now. Do we need to look at the way Denmark have pulled rank?

Personally I would reverse that and say that we need the Bikes to suit the Tracks............

• Like 2

That suggestion has been discussed a few times on the BSF. The trouble is the majority of speedway clubs operate in stadiums where they are only the tenants. Other regular events presumably take place in these stadiums on the other nights. Have you a suggestion as to how 'same night' speedway could take place in the UK bearing that factor in mind Trees?

Hopefully one day speedway will cotton on and be in a similar position.[/quote

Rugby League teams operate a dual registration system too with fringe/development 1st team players from Super League going out on loan to Championship and Championship 1 teams.

Edited by bluejam

That suggestion has been discussed a few times on the BSF. The trouble is the majority of speedway clubs operate in stadiums where they are only the tenants. Other regular events presumably take place in these stadiums on the other nights. Have you a suggestion as to how 'same night' speedway could take place in the UK bearing that factor in mind Trees?

I know the reason why we don't, what can we do, try to build new stadiums that we can use when we want, there's been a few built relatively recently you could say ...

Personally I would reverse that and say that we need the Bikes to suit the Tracks............

That's no good when all these boys come into speedway with the dream of becoming world champion, we need them to be able to rival all the world's talented riders on similar machinery surely?

Surely this is something that should be fixed by the FIM and stop Poland dictating to the other nations.

Why should the FIM have the ability to dictate the contract terms Polish clubs are able to offer independent contractors?

I don't know gustix, like I say it's just the kernel of an idea. So something like a Polish and British club sign 14 riders between them, there could be an overlap and when the Poles want to use Jacob Thorsell for example on UK race night they send over one of their assets to replace him, maybe a young Pole looking for experience or a rider struggling for form. They're going to get Thorsell anyway, this way out saves him getting a 28 day ban, the fans get to see a full team and a new rider who in the standard of our league may excel

Iris123 I only mentioned football as I know they operate feeder clubs. Where speedway differs from football is that players only play in one league unlike in speedway, so yes to do exactly the same is as you say ridiculous... But I'm not suggesting speedway does the same... I also find your tone a bit aggressive

It's not a bad idea, but I struggle to see the plus side for the Polish clubs.

From the British side, if say Doyle gets replaced by a young Pole, neither the club nor fans win

I'd also say cost is an issue, flying and sending equipment to the UK for a one off meeting is unlikely to be costveffectuve for rider or club.

I agree though that it's not a battle UK clubs will win. Surely the first step in trying to reach an agreement with any other nation wouldcbevmoving to fixed race night/s.

A well considered response iainb. At the least I think what you propose needs to have more positive thought. In life the most unexpected things work out well in the end - and it could be the same in speedway.

I wonder if, as suggested, how feeder clubs in speedway might/could be implemented?

Edited by Guest

I don't know gustix, like I say it's just the kernel of an idea. So something like a Polish and British club sign 14 riders between them, there could be an overlap and when the Poles want to use Jacob Thorsell for example on UK race night they send over one of their assets to replace him, maybe a young Pole looking for experience or a rider struggling for form. They're going to get Thorsell anyway, this way out saves him getting a 28 day ban, the fans get to see a full team and a new rider who in the standard of our league may excelIris123 I only mentioned football as I know they operate feeder clubs. Where speedway differs from football is that players only play in one league unlike in speedway, so yes to do exactly the same is as you say ridiculous... But I'm not suggesting speedway does the same... I also find your tone a bit aggressive

That idea sounds a very good one "iain" they are going to get Thorssell anyway so why not send a pole over to replace him.Someone who maybe needs more meeting's or who might need some more experience i am sure that there are loads of youngsters who would be up for that.Cant see it ever happening though with what happened at Leicester the other night it has got to the stage where i have nearly given up. Edited by Sidney the robin