British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

Sgp Wildcards 2018

Wouldn't be at all Surprised if Greg and NP finished top 5 next year. That being said, fully understand why many here are unhappy with their picks. Nicki for me doesn't deserve a wild card but understand why he was the chosen Dane. '12 2nd, '13 5th, '14 3rd '15 3rd. even 2016 his form was improving and he won the SEC. Now I am not a fan of his by any stretch, But it's not like the days when they used to put Bomber and Scotty in (huge fans of both by the way) purely because of nationality not results.

Holder on the other hand, may have finished 4th in 2016 but really that was a tiny bit of a false finish. Doyle didn't do the last round and he had a massive final, home GP which made it look like he'd had a much better season than was reality. 2015 made top 8 by skin of his teeth. Kildemand nearly pipped him having done 3 less GPs that season. 2014 and 2013 he was way down the pack. Not helped by injury but fact is he hasn't really pulled up any trees since he won the world championship

Vaculik, not that fussed. Would rather have Milik or Ļebedevs but I guess his place is warranted. But as someone mentioned earlier, whats the point in having top 8 cut off if 9th and 10th keep getting the nod for the following season...

Just my opinions.. Not that they mean anything!

Also, out of curiosity, anyone know How many "Monster" picks have there been since since 2012?

Edited by RPNYC

Commercially it makes a lot of sense. Those four are likely to put more bums on seats than any of the newcomers and looking at some of the attendances IMG have clearly taken the low risk option.

However I do think this is last chance saloon for Hancock, Pedersen and Holder. Personally I am surprised the first two have decided to continue racing in 2018, but they will have to qualify by right next year, as I cannot see them receiving two wildcards in a row.

On the whole I think the GP line-up offers a good mix of established riders and those breaking through. Half the line-up have been in the GPs for four years or less, so there is a good balance.

• Like 1

I guess we now know why Holder's Melbourne form was lacklustre.

It is something of a measure of him.

And the attitude of the judging panel.

That we could feel that is so likely to be connected.

And that they would still have him back.

And others - like Millik - have bust their balls to get into contention.

Only to be crapped on from a monstrous height.

Their whinging Mate was a shoe-in all the time.

It really does sap ones enthusiasm for what should be a great series.

But without integrity or fair sportsmanship.

Why should we bother, or care ?

They don't.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

So I was right in the first place. As I said, Realpolitik. And a real disgrace!

• Like 1

Who decides these choices? IMG or "Monster Joe"? Monster sponsored Chris Holder and Old Man Hancock are chosen but Red Bull sponsored Jarek Hampel is not...so there's a surprise eh?

You would have thought the European champion to get a pick or at least make reserve.

Speedway..I've just about had enough of it.

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 2

Who decides these choices? IMG or "Monster Joe"? Monster sponsored Chris Holder and Old Man Hancock are chosen but Red Bull sponsored Jarek Hampel is not...so there's a surprise eh?

FIM have the formal authority but in reality it's FIM, BSI/IMG and Monster Joe.

I questioned Hancock being offered one earlier in the thread, but I am willing to accept others views the justification for offering him is the fact he is reigning world champion and because of injury, so that wildcard is perhaps acceptable. But I don't see any justification for Holder being given one.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

I think questions can easily be asked about both Hancocks and Pedersons picks but also I can understand why they have both been chosen BUT the Holder choice is a complete and utter farce and disgrace. It does lead to speculation that "sponsors" these days are now too powerful and speedway decisions are not being made for "speedway reasons" anymore :(

Can see why Vaculik has been given a pick (although I think there are others who would have brought more to the GP series next season than him) but for Lebedev to not even be a reserve is another disgrace.

• Like 2

THE FIM have the majority votes. I am surprised by Holder, too, but with Dudek, Hancock and Woffinden already in, not sure Monster would have been too disappointed without Holder except, maybe, on a personal level.

Of course it's all about it being personal.

About your face fitting.

It's certainly nothing about performance on track.

If we didn't know it before.

Melbourne proved it.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

THE FIM have the majority votes. I am surprised by Holder, too, but with Dudek, Hancock and Woffinden already in, not sure Monster would have been too disappointed without Holder except, maybe, on a personal level.

Phil, do you know the thinking behind Lebedevs not even being handed one of the reserve places? It seems a bit odd.

Holder has been a somewhat lucky boy, after an extremely lacklustre season. I think he needs to make the most of this opportunity.

All the best

Rob

Nice try at the propaganda PR but the vast majority of fans can see the sponsors influence and have expected it for weeks. Holder has had no major injuries this season to justify a wild card and his riding has to be honest been mediocre at best.

I've said for quite some time that series sponsors should not be allowed to sponsor individual riders in the GP and vice versa. At the very least it can lead to suspected conflict of interest and this proves it.

Hancock and Pedersen - I can see why they are included personally don't agree with either, much as I love Nicki.

• Like 1

I think that the top 10 are pretty much nailed-on, but they make it top 8 just to cover themselves for injuries. So that's Holder and Vacilik as good as qualified anyway.

Hancock was World Champ until last week, so was also certain to get one.

They also needed a Dane, and whoever they picked was going to cast doubts. As a 3 times champ, Nicki just about deserves it, but, as others have said, it feels like the "Last Chance Saloon" for three of them.

No point complaining about Lebedev. He never qualified so will have to try again. Maybe he would be a worthy contender, but the outrage about him not getting picked is a bit wide of the mark.

Phil, do you know the thinking behind Lebedevs not even being handed one of the reserve places? It seems a bit odd.

Holder has been a somewhat lucky boy, after an extremely lacklustre season. I think he needs to make the most of this opportunity.

All the best

Rob

Don't the reserve places get decided by positions in the GP challenge, hence Cook being in the line-up? Lebedev wasn't even in it.

Edited by grachan