British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Perton Wolf

Fixed Race Nights For 2018 Season

Why would they want to move up and be handed a sporadic fixture list where they squeeze one match a month in and then do 12 home meetings in the last 6 weeks.

There are 22 weeks from April to August. With 14 home meetings (assuming eight teams) and seven away meetings (assuming an even distribution of teams between race nights) clubs would be able to have a home meetings most weeks with only seven gaps over the course of a season. As long as the gaps are evenly spread out, it should result in no more than a fortnight between home meetings.

HOPEFULLY with TV involved Monday will suit. Lots of riders got back from Poland for Monday meetings this week.

But none of those clubs riding this week have a Monday race night and it is entirely different for riders when they are only coming back for an occasional Monday meeting. Belle Vue at the dog track and Wolves have both said that having a Monday race night makes it more difficult to attract riders and there are also the commercial considerations. Belle Vue decided that they could attract more fans by moving away from Monday and if that wasn't the case I suspect they would be changing back.

I understand that Sky wanted Monday for televised meetings but did BT simply inherit that race night? Maybe they will be agreeable to considering other options but if not, then, as now, non Monday teams can race on that night for the couple of times they are on TV.

PERSONALLY think one race night per week is not enough ... 50 per cent of the teams wouldn't have a home meeting that week. Two nights would probably work better, certainly as far as fixture planning (remember that?) is concerned.

• Like 2

2 or even 3 nights for the top league could work, avoiding Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday, and the championship can ride on the other 4 or 5 days. Doesn't seem too difficult, and fans would get to see their own riders (and full visiting teams) most of the time rather than teams full of guests. If there are championship teams that couldn't move race day to suit this, then we just need a rule that premiership clubs get priority on doubling-up riders on premiership race days.

If only the overpaid footballers had double-headers and five matches a week it could all be over within three months rather than the interminable ten now! And they could do nine months community service.

PERSONALLY think one race night per week is not enough ... 50 per cent of the teams wouldn't have a home meeting that week. Two nights would probably work better, certainly as far as fixture planning (remember that?) is concerned.

Thought you would advocate one night so Mrs Lambert has six to do the housework?

If the top tier did go to Monday & Wednesday, or Wednesday & Thursday, presumably the second tier would avoid racing on those two nights. As well as fixed nights possibly tempting some big name riders back, it should help too in avoiding fixture clashes for the double uppers (though probably should be called double downers these days).

No just abolish doubling up

They could continue on a thurs but would have to accept that any visiting team might have a few guests, plus it would be the case that they would have no d/u riders themselves.

The whole point fixed days for the top league is to attract top line foreigners back thus we dont need doubling up any more, just use a #8 like the old days or go to squads. Thus the riders in the 2nd league can go back to being semi pro reducing the costs which hopefully means more teams.

Edited by Dekker
  • Like 1

No just abolish doubling up

Thats the answer.Riders would just have to accept it.No worries about race nights and Stadium availability .

If only the overpaid footballers had double-headers and five matches a week it could all be over within three months rather than the interminable ten now! And they could do nine months community service.

Thought you would advocate one night so Mrs Lambert has six to do the housework?

LET me clarify that I have nothing against Mrs Lambert personally. But have been around a long time and in close proximity to all of the top riders for over 50 years and have never seen a father in the pits work well let alone a mother.

• Like 1

LET me clarify that I have nothing against Mrs Lambert personally. But have been around a long time and in close proximity to all of the top riders for over 50 years and have never seen a father in the pits work well let alone a mother.

It does seem to work very well with James Shanes whose mother certainly seems to get stuck in. Edited by Steve Shovlar

I am certain that with most tracks renting from a stadium that one night a week for a league is not logistically possible.

Two nights per week for one league has got a lot more chance .but it still requires an enormous amount of agreement and common consent to work

Personally i think two nights per league for the top two leagues makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Did Phil Crump ever help Jason?

And Andy Smith who mechanics for his son for BV.

I know of some that ride in the NL where parents mechanic for the youngsters.

Edited by A ORLOV

Don't think right now it's right or needed for British Speedway to scrap doubling up/down.

I'd much prefer Weds/Thurs as the 2 dates.

Most of the Premiership clubs would prefer those 2 days over a Monday which only Wolves currently do

King's Lynn

Belle Vue

Somerset

Leicester

Rye House

They own their own stadiums but not sure many of their fans would be for Monday racing

Poole

Swindon

They'll find it difficult to have a Monday as a home fixture regularly due to facilities being used

Wolves could easily move to Wednesday racing.

Wednesday / Thursday could also encourage Sheffield / Ipswich to make the move up

Wednesday

King's Lynn

Belle Vue

Rye House

Poole

Wolves

Thursday

Somerset

Swindon

Leicester

Sheffield

Ipswich

Did Phil Crump ever help Jason?

NOT a lot ... most of the time they had a fight :party:

....and Jason's grandfather did too!! ;-)

RESPECTED Streety, as we all did, but wouldn't exactly say he helped Jason during his SGP days... his cousin Drew was his main man during the World Championship successes

And Andy Smith who mechanics for his son for BV.

I know of some that ride in the NL where parents mechanic for the youngsters.

PARENTS are obviously invaluable early doors, especially when they have two do all the driving. But once the kids get their own licence it is time to stand or their own feet or seek help from people who don't have the emotional attachment of a parent.

WHAT we are hearing at Speedway Star is Mondays and Thursday for the Premiership. But, of course, that would create problems for Championship sides like Ipswich, Sheffield, Redcar, etc.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 2