British Speedway Forum
diamond_ren

Jason Doyle In This Weeks Speedway Star

doyle , the biggest moaner on the planet . if it not ok with him , its not ok.. piss off back to stralia !.

I think schlein gives him a run for his money he's a bigger whinge

It's odd that supporters think they can spend so much time on here slagging off the state of British speedway, but when a rider does it he gets criticised for it.

If all the top riders are saying it's a pain riding in the UK and the tracks are not good, is it not possible that just somebody could take notice rather than a mass "stuff 'em" attitude until none are left?

I, personally, believe the riders when they say these things as there are s many saying them. And Jason has stayed here longer than most have. Perhaps they just want things to improve, the same as everyone else.

Agree what you say , and at Glasgow we've been privileged over the years to enjoy the talents of the great Charlie Monk , Jason Lyons , Shane Bowes , Shane Parker , Travis McGowan , Craig Watson and co . But seriously it's just been one strop and whinge after another from the Aussies recently . I remember Charlie Monk throwing on a pair of overalls over his leathers when it rained and the track was wet , and going out and scoring maximums . You never saw Charlie throwing the toys out the pram like a Schlein or a Batchelor when a few raindrops fell on the track .

• Like 5

Agree what you say , and at Glasgow we've been privileged over the years to enjoy the talents of the great Charlie Monk , Jason Lyons , Shane Bowes , Shane Parker , Travis McGowan , Craig Watson and co . But seriously it's just been one strop and whinge after another from the Aussies recently . I remember Charlie Monk throwing on a pair of overalls over his leathers when it rained and the track was wet , and going out and scoring maximums . You never saw Charlie throwing the toys out the pram like a Schlein or a Batchelor when a few raindrops fell on the track .

Different era, different times. :sad: :sad: :sad:

They, mostly, knew how to behave in a different Country. :approve:

Just another example of treating fans like idiots. They have provided the bread for his table all these years... now this slap in the face. Small wonder the sport over here is leaking support. If riders will ride for anyone that gives them a wink and a beckon, surely fans are realising they are the mugs? Without the lure of supporting a team, then team speedway is worthless. Let Mr Doyle go... I am sure someone will replace him. He wasn't this big for his boots when a struggling middle-order rider, just happy to get a place here I bet, before all the stars exited the stage and he was able to cash in. He took their place... so I am sure someone will take his. But we have to crack down on the exodus... or will British speedway become stronger for it?

Just another example of treating fans like idiots. They have provided the bread for his table all these years... now this slap in the face. Small wonder the sport over here is leaking support. If riders will ride for anyone that gives them a wink and a beckon, surely fans are realising they are the mugs? Without the lure of supporting a team, then team speedway is worthless. Let Mr Doyle go... I am sure someone will replace him. He wasn't this big for his boots when a struggling middle-order rider, just happy to get a place here I bet, before all the stars exited the stage and he was able to cash in. He took their place... so I am sure someone will take his. But we have to crack down on the exodus... or will British speedway become stronger for it?

Aren't you the guy who doesn't go to speedway any more because of the way it's run? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Aren't you the guy who doesn't go to speedway any more because of the way it's run? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes... because of the way it's run? Surely you don't need me to explain that! This is another thread which should direct you towards part of the answer...

Actually that collection of fans on here seems to be growing by the week .

• Like 2

Actually that collection of fans on here seems to be growing by the week .

So true Paulco..

Yes... because of the way it's run? Surely you don't need me to explain that! This is another thread which should direct you towards part of the answer...

No. I don't. But do you not, therefore, see the irony in you criticising Doyle when all you do on here is moan about UK speedway yourself?

Why is it ok for you but not for riders to have a say?

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

No. I don't. But do you not, therefore, see the irony in you criticising Doyle when all you do on here is moan about UK speedway yourself?

Why is it ok for you but not for riders to have a say?

I am not moaning about my not attending because tracks don't have fixed race nights, my gripe is that the rules are not very good and that riders, like Doyle, are even allowed to race in other leagues and then try to tell us, who gave him his break, he'll have more regard for the bottom of his shoes than he will for British speedway as of next year.

Edited by moxey63

You know, a lot of the posters on here wobble on about "free speech", and are quite happy to say what they want because of that. However, when a rider exercises that right, they are instantly deemed to be be ungrateful and insulting. Of course, it's not just a speedway issue; everybody wants to have say say, although much of the time things could be worded a little differently. In some cases, things would be better unsaid.

Having said that, foreign riders do not simply ride in British league speedway for "training" purposes. Yes, it is the way - it traditionally, it was the way - to hone one's skills by competing in Britain. With any sport, one of the best ways to improve and develop is to compete against quality opposition, but let's not forget that applies to the British too, but apparently, British riders don't seem to "owe" British speedway anything, while foreigners do...

The other fact worth mentioning is that people seem to think that speedway riders simply exist for the benefit of the supporters". No, they don't "risk their lives to entertain the public"; they do to earn a living. It is their job. It is a dangerous job, but nobody FORCES them to race. Riders take up speedway because they WANT TO RACE MOTORCYCLES, and it's nice to have a job you love.

As it is their job, a speedway rider has - and in my opinion, SHOULD have - the right to choose when and where they race. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not talking about breaking contracts or stuff like that, but they are no different to the rest of us. If somebody offered you more money and better perks than you get from your current employer, why wouldn't you take it - or at least consider it? A little loyalty doesn't hurt, but It is the individual's choice to race when and where he wants, and for whom he wants. If he feels a change of track - or country - would be beneficial, then good luck to him (and again, no, that doesn't mean he should be slagging off anyone). If a rider wants to retire from the sport altogether for another job - a la Bruce Penhall - or for whatever reason, we shouldn't question it, let alone hate someone for it.

Steve

Whats with foreigners ??? the only ones taking the piss are Aussies , stop trying to fudge the issue by including European riders , they owe us nothing they learned their trade in their own leagues .

• Like 1

Clubs in Sweden are struggling on attendances that for the most part far exceed what we see here. Their overheads, with the exception of what they pay riders, are doubtless far lower. So it is not hard to see where the money is going.

Well, you are not wrong but no team relies on attendances to 100 percent and sponsors play, if not equal, then at least a very important role as well.

Most teams would suffer if attendances were to drop dramatically or of sponsorship were to decrease dramatically.

Some teams, like Piraterna, are struggling yes but that is more because of a too optimistic budgeting combined with a "win now attitude"

meaning signing riders that are a bit too expensive compared to what a reasonable budget would allow.

Obviously if you budget for 3000 on average, you are going to have problems if only 2500 on average show up.

I'd say that the 4 top teams in the attendance league this season have a better average then needed while the rest of the teams are too low

except Indianerna who ended up with positive results thanks to having a cheap team.

If the "superstars" don't like it here then do one.Doyle can earn 20k in Poland and Sweden..a week.His 2-3k here isn't great in the scheme of things.If he don't like it,don't ride here.But don't try and dictate when the UK rides

• Like 6

So let me see if I've got this right......

We can't run on Wednesday because we'll clash with the Danes.

We can't run on Sundays because all our riders will be in Poland (yeh, right).

We can't run on Tuesdays because we'll clash with Sweden (have any of you watched the Swedish meetings on a Tuesday? Not many of those boys ride over here).

We can't run on Fridays because of the GP practices (the practices that most riders rubbish in interview and are not compulsory).

So what's left? Mondays and Thursdays? Yes. What else?

Saturdays. Heavens no. The World will come crashing down around our heads. And none of those GP lads who earn their real living on a Sunday anyway will ride for us. We decided we didn't want them last winter. A very small number of clubs found a way to keep their GP riders despite the rules and the push to reduce costs. Come next March and the new Polish restrictions, the number of GP riders here might be even smaller. So let's stop kidding ourselves. Admit where our leagues are on a global scale and design a structure accordingly. Race nights have to be dictated, to a degree, by stadium availability. Doubling up is a fact of life. Try to avoid clashes by running the two leagues on different nights if you can, but don't get your knickers in a knot. There has to be some give and take on this or we could lose some clubs which has to be the worst of all outcomes. We'll also lose riders if we restrict their earnings. "Scrap doubling up and let them all get jobs to supplement their earnings" I hear you say. Are you kidding? We expect riders who conduct themselves professionally. Have good quality equipment, well turned out. Available to ride and not knackered from working the previous night.

So okay, we need to pull our leagues apart, run the two leagues on different nights as far as possible and create a product our shrinking fan base will continue to support. And what a about the rest of the World? If it works for them, they're welcome. Otherwise it's a shame, but I ain't going to compromise my domestic sport to suit you.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 5

So let me see if I've got this right......

We can't run on Wednesday because we'll clash with the Danes.

We can't run on Sundays because all our riders will be in Poland (yeh, right).

We can't run on Tuesdays because we'll clash with Sweden (have any of you watched the Swedish meetings on a Tuesday? Not many of those boys ride over here).

We can't run on Fridays because of the GP practices (the practices that most riders rubbish in interview and are not compulsory).

So what's left? Mondays and Thursdays? Yes. What else?

Saturdays. Heavens no. The World will come crashing down around our heads. And none of those GP lads who earn their real living on a Sunday anyway will ride for us. We decided we didn't want them last winter. A very small number of clubs found a way to keep their GP riders despite the rules and the push to reduce costs. Come next March and the new Polish restrictions, the number of GP riders here might be even smaller. So let's stop kidding ourselves. Admit where our leagues are on a global scale and design a structure accordingly. Race nights have to be dictated, to a degree, by stadium availability. Doubling up is a fact of life. Try to avoid clashes by running the two leagues on different nights if you can, but don't get your knickers in a knot. There has to be some give and take on this or we could lose some clubs which has to be the worst of all outcomes. We'll also lose riders if we restrict their earnings. "Scrap doubling up and let them all get jobs to supplement their earnings" I hear you say. Are you kidding? We expect riders who conduct themselves professionally. Have good quality equipment, well turned out. Available to ride and not knackered from working the previous night.

So okay, we need to pull our leagues apart, run the two leagues on different nights as far as possible and create a product our shrinking fan base will continue to support. And what a about the rest of the World? If it works for them, they're welcome. Otherwise it's a shame, but I ain't going to compromise my domestic sport to suit you.

Then again, why bother with two leagues?

• Like 1