British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Somerset Rebels Vs Poole Pirates 01//09/17

He's probably gone to drown his sorrows

Throw his head into a bucket of freezing cold water.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Poole on making the playoffs

Gutted as I am, I will no doubt pontificate long and hard about what damage we might have done in the playoffs but the simple fact is we missed a number of chances to "put you away" and despite an incredibly tight road you never slipped up once and the final nail was winning at Somerset after taking the lead only in heat 15. I have said it before and I repeat Hans Andersen is amazing, if you are ever unfortunate to be in a trench hes the man you want right beside you.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

Thank you.

For your first season in the top flight you guys put up a great effort. No doubt you will be back stronger next year.

Thank you.

For your first season in the top flight you guys put up a great effort. No doubt you will be back stronger next year.

Many thanks for your kind words.

As I said earlier coming from the lower reaches of the Championship "or what ever they call it now" we have never locked horns with you guys and whilst you have had for Poole a very turbulent season, and even Mr Shovlar will admit probably not one of your finest sides, your sheer determination and stubbornness to makes the plays offs after we beat you by 51 points on aggregate "please allow me that little one" is a credit to your club, in life its easy to be successful when everything is going your way so when it doesn't, it should be acknowledged.

Good luck in the playoffs I shall be watching enviously.

• Like 3

I can't hear that Fat Lady singing yet!!

That result both surprised and pleased me no end, especially with the Robins doing their 'Dying Swan' routine in Hoddesdon!!

Lahti back in the main body of the team and Starkey dropping back to reserve may have an effect in the play-offs - but its all to play for. Come on Swindon make your mind up!!

• Like 1

As I said earlier coming from the lower reaches of the Championship "or what ever they call it now" we have never locked horns with you guys and whilst you have had for Poole a very turbulent season, and even Mr Shovlar will admit probably not one of your finest sides, your sheer determination and stubbornness to makes the plays offs after we beat you by 51 points on aggregate "please allow me that little one" is a credit to your club, in life its easy to be successful when everything is going your way so when it doesn't, it should be acknowledged.

That's the best and most non biased post I've seen on the forum.

• Like 2

That's ok you guys deserve the praise.

Just got in from a night out, looks like bad luck Rebels. We will come back next season stronger. From the start we were not strong enough at the top end. Hougaard has been very disappointing I have to say , I was expecting much more from him . Losing Allen especially at home has cost us big time, and in such a dumb ass way as well. We need him back next year at 6 again. I don't think we are that far away from a good side. Wrighty has been great , especially at home, as has Josh who held the whole thing together early in the season. Jury out on everyone else I think, but we need a solid No 1 next year.

Well done to the Pirates on nicking the result and making the playoffs, don't think you are anywhere near good enough to win though.

Poole's fans show their grace in victory yet again. As if the sport didn't have enough problems.......

Bad losers are unpleasant but appalling winners are beneath contempt.

And that arse had the temerity to say Swindon fans have no humility!!!

That result both surprised and pleased me no end, especially with the Robins doing their 'Dying Swan' routine in Hoddesdon!!

Lahti back in the main body of the team and Starkey dropping back to reserve may have an effect in the play-offs - but its all to play for. Come on Swindon make your mind up!!

Dying swan hark at it?! Half a bleeding side missing plus one or two looking jaded ...if you wanna look for a faltering bird look at the Poole asset who forgot to be #onit in heat 15 conveniently over at the OTA! 😜
  • Like 1

Poole's fans show their grace in victory yet again. As if the sport didn't have enough problems.......

Bad losers are unpleasant but appalling winners are beneath contempt.

So you are just unpleasant then. Hmm I can think of better words to describe you.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

Have to wait til Mon on BT sport for the announcement! :D
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Poole on making the playoffs

Gutted as I am, I will no doubt pontificate long and hard about what damage we might have done in the playoffs but the simple fact is we missed a number of chances to "put you away" and despite an incredibly tight road you never slipped up once and the final nail was winning at Somerset after taking the lead only in heat 15. I have said it before and I repeat Hans Andersen is amazing, if you are ever unfortunate to be in a trench hes the man you want right beside you.

We look forward to seeing you next year.

I had a chat with your promoter last night at Lynn and he comes across as a very go ahead chap. Doubt you could wish for a better promoter. Rye seem to be in very safe hands and for a first season have done very well.

Well well well what a night of speedway which had everything! A huge crowd, Somersets biggest of the season, hundreds of travelling Poole fans making a ton of noise (at the end) and some great racing played out in a very tense atmosphere.

Somerset raced into a big lead and it looked all over, but suddenly Poole got their hands on the far superior gates 2 and 4 and two 5-1s on the bounce brought us back into it. With drawn heats and the meeting running out it came down to the wire. Pirates would simply not be denied. With ruthless utter determination Kurtz led down the back straight and a great cutback from Hans brought him into second entering the third bend. Lawson battled for 4 laps but Brady was not going to be caught. With Josh G tailed off the hundreds of Poole fans erupted as we took the win. A magnificient performance of true grit and determination not to be beaten and the Poole Pirates which we all know and love showed themselves for the first time this season.

For Poole.

Brady started poorly but improved as the meeting went on.

Starke battled for his points. Could have scored more but pulled up when third as he thought he heard something wrong with his engine. There was nithing wrong!

Kennett was excellent and did a blinding third to first ride in heat 14 to draw the heat and save the meeting.

Hans played a true captains role and stood up to the pressure of heat 15.

Lahti was excellent. Really showing his class.

Georgie Wood was out of his depth.

For Somerset.

Josh G was very good most of the night.

Wright was unlucky not to have been in heat 15. Excellent around this track.

Hougaard battled but two poor rides.

Greebo was very good. Unfairly excluded in heat 13 when Josh G brought him off.

Doolan ran out of steam.

Kerr was consistent all night.

That's what speedway is all about. Would have made a brilliant tv meeting. Speedway the winner tonight.

Time for Swindon to pick us now. And more than happy if they do. We have nothing to fear from Swindon. No pressure on us at all. All the pressure is now on Swindon. They are expect to brush us aside and make the final. Let them try. Poole are not the same team that was falling apart in mid season. Our confidence has grown. The team has now gelled and is battling for everything.

Swindons bubble is bursting. Rye ripped them apart tonight and although they had a couple of riders missing they are not the force many of their fans think they are. We can go into the semis knowing we have every chance of reaching the final, against all the odds.

Lets do this!

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Absolutely buzzing what a meeting had everything thought we had lost it come ht 8 when it looked like after the tr was played we were going to go more than 10 behind again a stretch to far but the boys managed to get a decent result in ht8 and then get back to back maximums to put us within touching distance,amazing how good gate 4 was but how bad gate 3 was,one of the best meetings ive been to had everything!!

Bring the worm pullers on 🤣😉☠

Edited by PTW

Should have been Wright in Ht 15, Lawson not your man when the going gets tough and he is outgated,couldn't pass wind.IMO.

Should have been Wright in Ht 15, Lawson not your man when the going gets tough and he is outgated,couldn't pass wind.IMO.

Lawson had been superb for Somerset and was unbeaten. Brought down and wrongly excluded in heat 13.