British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Do We Still Need The Play-offs

I described a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs and you counted that by describing a scenario where fans miss the regular season but go along to the play offs.

Where ?

That's a moot point which'll never be proved one way or the other but certainly, as a peripatetic fan, I and the up to four folk I go with never attend a match involving a team for whom play-off qualification is assured. I'd rather go to a match involving the bottom two on the same day.

We've never been to a play-off either.

What would be the difference between two teams that had already been assured of qualification and two teams who at the bottom of the league ? both matches would mean nothing .

And who do think would get the better crowd ?

What would be the difference between two teams that had already been assured of qualification and two teams who at the bottom of the league ? both matches would mean nothing .

And who do think would get the better crowd ?

With no team to support I go where I please and have my own way of deciding. In the past, I've seen some lively affairs between lower teams and I prefer those to matches involving already qualified teams. Just personal preference.

As for the better crowd, that's immaterial to me. OK, so I'm doing my bit to keep the less well-off teams going at the back end of the season rather than handing the money to those with the extra matches. :)

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow
  • Like 2

Where ?

I understood where he was coming from in his initial post.

What's people's views on this one?

Do clubs get a better average attendance per meeting if they run weekly up to the end of the season or if they cram several fixtures into a short space of time or even run double header?

Here's one for people with promoting knowledge, do you make in gate receipts running two meeting one week after the next at full price or do double headers draw a bigger crowd in, that compensates for the reduced admission charged for the two meetings?

One of the problems now is Clubs don't run WEEKLY speedway ,they have to get back to running a fixture every week whenever possible or the fans just get out the habit.This season at most tracks it was a joke athe height of summer.Most tracks have an alternative race night ,so use that if the need arises to keep the continuity of meetings.Plays Offs have to be held after All fixtures are completeIMO.More co-operation required.

The play offs are OK if you are in them,but if not your season is probably over in September and no meetings in October.Feel sorry for Rye House they had to cram lots of home meetings in and just missed out on a play off place .

The play offs are OK if you are in them,but if not your season is probably over in September and no meetings in October.Feel sorry for Rye House they had to cram lots of home meetings in and just missed out on a play off place .

Yeah, had to cram 14 meetings into 6 months, tough ask...
  • Like 2

One of the problems now is Clubs don't run WEEKLY speedway ,they have to get back to running a fixture every week whenever possible or the fans just get out the habit.This season at most tracks it was a joke athe height of summer.Most tracks have an alternative race night ,so use that if the need arises to keep the continuity of meetings.Plays Offs have to be held after All fixtures are completeIMO.More co-operation required.

That is the point but you forgot to mention "self interest" which is one of the biggest problems. As has been proved in the past, teams changed race nights to suit Sky & now BT & during August & September, quite a few teams raced on a Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday just to get meetings done & these were not alternative race nights according to their websites. "As And When It Suits"

agree regarding "self interest" have mentioned it several times in other posts.Nothing will change though.They are going to mess up leagues to suit the "usual suspects " no doubt.This has to be the worst season in speedway history regarding organisation IMO .

• Like 1

The play offs are great if you're in them, but what about the other teams whose seasons could end with nearly 2 months of the season left, perhaps they could race for the craven shield for example, keeping season going and having something to go for.

The play offs are great if you're in them, but what about the other teams whose seasons could end with nearly 2 months of the season left, perhaps they could race for the craven shield for example, keeping season going and having something to go for.

Some will say that's the whole incentive to getting to the playoffs, but i actually like the idea of a consolation type final, there was an example in the then Premier League maybe four or five years ago and it kept the season running for another couple of weeks, which was fine by me, the more the merrier. But you will then get the counter argument that it just means even more of a fixture pile up at the end of the season, when there are still regular league matches and KO cup ties being run (which is the bigger problem for me).

• Like 1

Thank god for the play offs. As always make speedway seem relevant and current.

Long may they reign.

Thank god for the play offs. As always make speedway seem relevant and current.

Long may they reign.

Apart from tonight obviously