British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

All ex riders should be admitted to the club they rode for ( the one they rode most matches for or ONE they nominate now - perhaps where they now live ) as at Berwick. But it should be for the rider only , no significant other, no old mates, no mechanics, no ex-promoters and no ex-sponsors. As things are now in UK speedway, everyone else should pay ( unless at the discretion of the current promotion ). Seems fair and reasonable to me. I hugely respect Peter Collins the rider but if he wants a long list of "others" it is not realistic.

• Like 3

All ex riders should be admitted to the club they rode for ( the one they rode most matches for or ONE they nominate now - perhaps where they now live ) as at Berwick. But it should be for the rider only , no significant other, no old mates, no mechanics, no ex-promoters and no ex-sponsors. As things are now in UK speedway, everyone else should pay ( unless at the discretion of the current promotion ). Seems fair and reasonable to me. I hugely respect Peter Collins the rider but if he wants a long list of "others" it is not realistic.

Pretty much this ^^. Think the criteria should be ridden for the club for 5 years, or leave it up to individual clubs. I don't buy the 'ex-employee allowed back to collect freebies' argument though, a meeting will go ahead whether ex-riders turn up or not, so the club isn't actually 'losing' anything. They may even 'gain' if more fans couild turn up to see or speak to the rider and a maybe ex-rider buys drinks, food, etc, though I'm aware that bar & catering monies mostly go to stadium owners....

Not stirring the plot but adding my 2p's worth. Morton, Gordon & co did oustandingly well in delivering the stadium in the first place but I wonder if there have been any noise complaints for nearby residents. I sincerely hope not & only ask out of interest in regard to the accoustic barriers incorporated in the new stands which were heralded as a major (no pun intended) feature allowing the stadium being built on this location. If noise isn't an issue then maybe the design of the Belle Vue stands could help with other potential city-centre sites.....

As well as Phil Rising's response, hidden away amongst the letters in this weeks Star is an excellent reply from Bert Harkins regarding the WSRA/BSPA agreement on entry for ex riders.

• Like 1

It annoys me that some people stream speedway from the internet for free, when us mugs pay for them doing so with our satellite subs. Without these subs, why would companies provide our speedway. In a round about way, the freeloaders are damaging live speedway for the ones who pay, and then moan when there isn't a live link for some match or other that night.

you could say that bt got a healthy viewing public for free this season , they didnt pay for it so why should we pay to watch it , be different if they paid speedway for it
  • Like 1

you could say that bt got a healthy viewing public for free this season , they didnt pay for it so why should we pay to watch it , be different if they paid speedway for it

But Dean, who paid for Scott Nicholls, Natalie Quirk, Nigel and Kelvin, the cameras, the crew....

BT paid their wages etc and must have wanted some form of return from the speedway viewers, otherwise it will be waste of time and money for them. BT surely won't pay out without getting anything back. When they see many getting free streams or see the the amount of subs brought in by speedway, surely they will ditch us.

But Dean, who paid for Scott Nicholls, Natalie Quirk, Nigel and Kelvin, the cameras, the crew....

BT paid their wages etc and must have wanted some form of return from the speedway viewers, otherwise it will be waste of time and money for them. BT surely won't pay out without getting anything back. When they see many getting free streams or see the the amount of subs brought in by speedway, surely they will ditch us.

yes they do want a return but they have had it for free this year , the viewing figures are far in excess of what you get for free, i was just making the objective point anyway , if/ when they pay speedway then I think they have a right to be peaved about streaming , I dont subscribe to bt or sky as both are not value for money ,I subscribe to polish NC+ I get all the GPs SWC , Polish extraleague and 1st division + all the magazine programmes and speedway documentaries and now get british league too on 11 sport , not that i watch it but all uk premier football too and films , the only draw back is its in polish (some say thats better than what BT have 😉) all that for £17 a month , now thats VFM Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

I'm not on about downloading or streaming speedway, only music - along with about 3 trillion other people.

Ah.. so it's ok to steal if other folk are doing it.

As it happens, you're not anywhere near in the majority either. The overwhelming majority listen legally since the advent of services such as Spotify.

• Like 1

It is way out of order that posters on this forum are slagging off an Aces and British legend (the most successful British racer ever by way of world championship honours) who has perhaps not enjoyed the best of health. These people seem to me to be the kind that laugh at the disabled. Serious illnesses can and do change the way people view life. PC is one of my heroes and I would love to see him attend the NSS regularly and speedway is poorer for not having PC there. So PC if you are reading this by some quirk of fate, settle your differences with whoever and come on down to the NSS, as 99% of genuine Aces fans would be absolutely delighted to see you there.

• Like 1

It is way out of order that posters on this forum are slagging off an Aces and British legend (the most successful British racer ever by way of world championship honours) who has perhaps not enjoyed the best of health. These people seem to me to be the kind that laugh at the disabled. Serious illnesses can and do change the way people view life. PC is one of my heroes and I would love to see him attend the NSS regularly and speedway is poorer for not having PC there. So PC if you are reading this by some quirk of fate, settle your differences with whoever and come on down to the NSS, as 99% of genuine Aces fans would be absolutely delighted to see you there.

Well said one of clubs. :t::approve::approve::approve:

Good post. It's sad, how easy some forget what others have given to us.

I understand your annoyance, but that's still quite some leap to suggest any posters on here are laughing at the disabled. I'd rethink that one.

This is a topic that really should have never seen the light of day. It should not have been given the media attention in the first place. Given PC's health, some journalistic discretion should have been applied.

BUT, as the can of worms was opened, it is then only right that the other point of view is heard and any untruths do not go unclarified.

Sadly, I don't think this one will be settled. But I think rather than pointing fingers, it is better to just accept that there are health-related circumstances here that make this very difficult to resolve.

No matter what, nothing can change the fact that PC is a Belle Vue icon and one of the greatest riders I and many others in this forum have had the privilege to see race a speedway bike.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 6

Well said... it's amazing that people think that just because someone is good at speedway there view and opinion can't be challenged ....

Edited by orion
  • Like 5

PC has brought all this on himself, why oh why did he do the article in the first place,did he get paid?, nothing as been gained by it,

• Like 3

I don't think they are 'slagging off' Peter Collins so much as his view on this particular issue. As Orion has correctly said, just because someone is a legend in speedway doesn't mean that any remark that they make or view that they hold must be exempt from criticism.

Phil Rising's excellent piece in speedway star clearly states his huge respect for Collins (and that's an understatement) but makes it clear that Collins is wrong on this issue.

I suspect that almost all of us would agree with that position.

• Like 9

I don't think they are 'slagging off' Peter Collins so much as his view on this particular issue. As Orion has correctly said, just because someone is a legend in speedway doesn't mean that any remark that they make or view that they hold must be exempt from criticism.

Phil Rising's excellent piece in speedway star clearly states his huge respect for Collins (and that's an understatement) but makes it clear that Collins is wrong on this issue.

I suspect that almost all of us would agree with that position.

Peter Collins is another of my Speedway Heroes - and even I agree with your Post Ht.

Peter Craven is another one, by the way, which is why I didn't just put PC.