British Speedway Forum
therefused

Kings Lynn V Poole 25/04/18

6 hours ago, Haza said:

What has that got to do with anything ? If the promotion was willing  to buy and use track cover they would be used sadly they are not willing - they along with all others have had tv money and used it on other things there choice so we put up with rain offs not a problem . 

i think that's more to do with Kings Lynn being a multi-use stadium, so the covers would be up and down all the time and there just isn't the staff or volunteer levels to do it

• Like 1

also, what happened to that track dryer that was made a few years ago to be taken around the country for Sky meetings??

was it ever used? and where is it now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Lol

But to be fair, even Leicester managed an away win last year

I am sure you realise all this ribbing is going to come back and bite you hard on the arse. B)

Edited by Steve Shovlar

38 minutes ago, tellboy said:

As regards the air fence,helpers will know when they will be needed in advance.With the track covers,who knows when they would be needed that is in the hands of the good old British weather.Don't get me wrong i'm all for track covers.If there was a way of putting them down with minimal labour i'm sure it could happen,but of course cost will always get in the way.

I priced it up previously, but I can't for the life of me remember what the figure was now. I based it on Somerset's track and I think the total was somewhere around the £1,000 mark. This was based on a theory of being attached to the top of the existing fence (behind the air fence) in a roll when not being used with ties around it. When it was needed the ties are simply undone and the tarpaulin is rolled out to the infield and fixed to the ground. That way all the rain water runs off to the infield and away from the track.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i think that's more to do with Kings Lynn being a multi-use stadium, so the covers would be up and down all the time and there just isn't the staff or volunteer levels to do it

Why would they have to be on and off? Natural rain water is great for a race track in a week leading up to a meeting. If the forecast for example is awful for the race day but okay for the actual evening, roll the covers out the night before and take them back up on the afternoon of the race meeting.

No doubt the Sky money ended up in the pockets of big name riders.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

No doubt the Sky money ended up in the pockets of big name riders.

who passed much of it on to tuners.

• Like 3

I don't know why there is so much talk of track covers. Kings Lynn haven't got any ,and will never have any. Covers wouldn't be practical and where would the water go once it was on the centre concrete?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrss said:

I don't know why there is so much talk of track covers. Kings Lynn haven't got any ,and will never have any. Covers wouldn't be practical and where would the water go once it was on the centre concrete?

and if raining when the meeting starts its off anyway ?

Edited by ray c

Unless the covers are like the ones they have at cricket which are sections on wheels that can be easily wheeled away or the covers roll up on a device behind the safety fence they are virtually impossible to put out or remove quickly with minimal staff to do the job. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am sure you realise all this ribbing is going to come back and bite you hard on the arse. B)

Bring it on. Quite partial to a bit of bum nibbling from a ginger person :)

20 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Unless the covers are like the ones they have at cricket which are sections on wheels that can be easily wheeled away or the covers roll up on a device behind the safety fence they are virtually impossible to put out or remove quickly with minimal staff to do the job. 

I thought covers like cricket covers that could possibly concertina together to save space.But looking at the prices this would definitely be a no no.

I think all talk of covers is an unnecessary expense and not required.   If the  rain continues to fall the meeting would never be on any way.    If the raining had stopped, our track is as good as at other when it comes to draining the water.    When  the track was sodden, I have witnessed Buster and his gang, scrape the top off and relay new shale and have it racable  within an hour.    That situation is probably unique to Lynn because of the concrete  infield, allowing the old wet shale to be bladed  off the track to  dry out.     Buster has all the equipment required to lay a new track , whereas others  are not that fortunate.    

The main issues with the weather is not the track conditions ,  but  the lack of spectator numbers that turn up ,   making the meeting  a financial disaster.     Track covers would not make any difference to that problem....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I think all talk of covers is an unnecessary expense and not required.   If the  rain continues to fall the meeting would never be on any way.    If the raining had stopped, our track is as good as at other when it comes to draining the water.    When  the track was sodden, I have witnessed Buster and his gang, scrape the top off and relay new shale and have it racable  within an hour.    That situation is probably unique to Lynn because of the concrete  infield, allowing the old wet shale to be bladed  off the track to  dry out.     Buster has all the equipment required to lay a new track , whereas others  are not that fortunate.    

The main issues with the weather is not the track conditions ,  but  the lack of spectator numbers that turn up ,   making the meeting  a financial disaster.     Track covers would not make any difference to that problem....

Thats a good post mate. I defy all the mouthy people on here to spend a day lying covers then taking them up, in the pouring rain. it is not, a 10 minute job. they would run for the hills. You can beat most conditions, but sometimes even with all the equipment its nigh on imposible. Thats our lovely British weather for you..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Thats a good post mate. I defy all the mouthy people on here to spend a day lying covers then taking them up, in the pouring rain. it is not, a 10 minute job. they would run for the hills. You can beat most conditions, but sometimes even with all the equipment its nigh on imposible. Thats our lovely British weather for you..

Which is why a said that they would only work if on wheels or rollers behind the fence.