British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

2019 One big league will it happen.?

3 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

In that case the likes of Matt and T Russell should not have allowed it to go to pot in the past.

Maybe the way things are going is why Swindon have been buying up certain riders.  

Cant really see why you are solely laying the blame at Matt and Terrys door. I  mean there are a lot more promoters , who will probably follow the  crowd. Again as i keep saying , bloke at the top needs shifting

Crowds at Swindon last year when they hit the top after the 17 match unbeaten run were very good, hitting 3000 occasionally later on in the year if it was warm.

But apart from the derbies against Somerset and Poole this year havent seen an increase.

Tessa Russell won't support one big league.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Cant really see why you are solely laying the blame at Matt and Terrys door. I  mean there are a lot more promoters , who will probably follow the  crowd. Again as i keep saying , bloke at the top needs shifting

Get the impression that those two plus one or two more are reasonably astute business people so they should have seen what was happening and led the rest, the sheep can always follow or die by the side.  It is possible that there were not enough to make a top league viable, which is why I can see one main  league of the PL and CL teams with reduced costs and possibly riders in the team.

Maybe T R is aware which is why he has signed riders in the last couple of years and Matt, not being able to get the squad system accepted, is getting out.    

What's staggering is that a lot of Championship clubs are already charging the same as, if not more, to get in to watch them. I read the other day Edinburgh charge £18.50 if you don't buy a ticket in advance! So, are clubs like that racking it in on the 2nd division by over charging or are they doing it to stay afloat in the hope the same old regulars keep coming back and paying £18 or whatever it might be? If it's the 1st option... why would they want change? If it's the 2nd, how could they make it pay with the increased costs of the top tier? 

Assuming they could make it pay the top division needs Sheffield, Ipswich, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Peterborough to move up. The rest could make up a 2nd division which is a lot lower standard and a lot more cost effective to them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

Get the impression that those two plus one or two more are reasonably astute business people so they should have seen what was happening and led the rest, the sheep can always follow or die by the side.  It is possible that there were not enough to make a top league viable, which is why I can see one main  league of the PL and CL teams with reduced costs and possibly riders in the team.

Maybe T R is aware which is why he has signed riders in the last couple of years and Matt, not being able to get the squad system accepted, is getting out.    

True, but those sheep still went there own way, and now look at the state of it. Matt hasnt decided what he will do yet, but its high time all, the promoters stuck together and said this is what we want..  otherwise i can see several other clubs disapearing. I still say the biggest problem is at the top..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Crowds at Swindon last year when they hit the top after the 17 match unbeaten run were very good, hitting 3000 occasionally later on in the year if it was warm.

But apart from the derbies against Somerset and Poole this year havent seen an increase.

Really, the only time ive seen somewhere near pushing that figure is for a play off final. Something tells me you are slightly exagerating.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

What's staggering is that a lot of Championship clubs are already charging the same as, if not more, to get in to watch them. I read the other day Edinburgh charge £18.50 if you don't buy a ticket in advance! So, are clubs like that racking it in on the 2nd division by over charging or are they doing it to stay afloat in the hope the same old regulars keep coming back and paying £18 or whatever it might be? If it's the 1st option... why would they want change? If it's the 2nd, how could they make it pay with the increased costs of the top tier? 

Assuming they could make it pay the top division needs Sheffield, Ipswich, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Peterborough to move up. The rest could make up a 2nd division which is a lot lower standard and a lot more cost effective to them. 

Well said. The 2nd tier has been the problem for a while now. Most ive visited are as similar as about a pound difference, shocking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Well said. The 2nd tier has been the problem for a while now. Most ive visited are as similar as about a pound difference, shocking.

Might be they CL don’t get tv money to help their cause.

Dont get this increased costs either if a combined league comes about as there would have to be drastic team changes if all teams come to the party.

I can't see many middle tier clubs stepping up if it means an increase in costs. The only way is down for those top flight teams, if one league becomes a reality.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I can't see many middle tier clubs stepping up if it means an increase in costs. The only way is down for those top flight teams, if one league becomes a reality.

....and see even more fans leave the sport in its masses. Continuing to weaken and weaken the product is not the answer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

....and see even more fans leave the sport in its masses. Continuing to weaken and weaken the product is not the answer!

I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions. There will probably be casualties whatever direction the sport takes.

Whether all one league is to happen next year remains to be seen. As for the agm the bspa need to do is firstly get the current promototrs off and have new chairmen and associates these being ex riders who know what would be better for the sport  as for Rob Godfrey the less said about him the better frankly ways to improve the sport and stop it dying. (1) we've all seen it on TV and other tracks where they dropped the price and fans have come down so this proves that fans aren't staying away because they don't like speedway any more it because they don't have the money like they once did so why not drop the price say £13 every where that means pl and cl  if the top riders should have a pay cap If there is riders out there who demand more than they should  if the don't like the the team should tell them to go else where  the standard of racing on bt sports in pl is so bad sometimes it boring will probably get grief for saying that but I watch Workington week in week out and the racing in the championship is far better by a mile now the bspa need to speak to bt and get deal done to show pl an cl matches not just pl matches if bt went to a different team each week clubs would benefit from it. I for hate when say if its lecister vs wolves one week then the week after is Poole and lecister fans would prefer championship meetings which sky start to do  Newcastle vs berwick Somerset and Sheffield  Edinburgh vs Workington to name a few. Why the championship pairs wasn't shown is beyond me good way to introduce fans  the pl have always seemed abit to snobbish and think the racing in pl is better it anit if I had of been at the Swindon meeting last Monday I would have walked out it was so awful to watch on TV . All teams need to learn how to promote  the club and all promoters should take a course in advertising as the reason I say this is because you go to someplace and if u didn't no about speedway and wanted something to do there nothing to show that it's there take my home team Workington in the  town there is no adverts in any shops saying when it's on so how does new ppl who either on holiday or moved up here no what's happening on a Saturday meting the club that we need to learn from at promoting is Glasgow  the have apps for fans they have weekly Internet show call tigerbites and speak to all riders either past present or riders who coming to the track that week they have advertised better on fb an twitter yes the team anit doing good but    that's racing . If bt won't do a deal Promoting championship  can the bspa not speak to itv and get a deal with them or someone else. Track covers need to be a must  next season . Fair enough we had decent weather this year but how long will that last really fixed race nights need scrapped and bspa need to stand up and tell riders if u sign for  a UK team them u fulfill ur commitments ie don't request to miss a match to race in Poland or wherever if riders can't honour this they shouldn't be signed  the points limit needs to go back to 45 for both there is riders out there just daft rules for them out  I hope speedway stays every where I  love this sport the smell of bikes the adrenaline the buzz it best thing I know the bspa need to throw the rule book out and start again  got a feeling Mr Godfrey will try and cancel workington home match with scunthorpe next week then again now he got a full team he will come up it will be interesting to see what reception he gets . 

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Then the only alternative is to retain the better riders but those riders reduce their wage demands to current Championship levels.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Out of interest are you privy to attendance figures or are those comments based on your own observations? 

An assessment made by observation by a group of four longtime fans at KL. Including the upstairs seats. We have seen the stadium rocking and bursting at the seams and believe that we are making a fair and balanced assessment of those present. If only we were privy to the genuine turnstile click totals. We are confident that we are not far off with the figures stated. It is not an attack on the promotion, we want to see 1,500 on a bad night and 2,500 on a regular basis.  We just can't see that happening due to the way it is run at KLS and as a sport in general in the UK.

17 hours ago, auntie doris said:

15 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Really, the only time ive seen somewhere near pushing that figure is for a play off final. Something tells me you are slightly exagerating.

You do understand what the word ‘occasionally’ means, Starman?

To be fair to AD, the crowds were good, particularly towards the season end and pushing close to 2500-3000. This season the crowds v Zummerset and Poole were decent and pushing somewhere in the vicinity of those figures. The remaining attendances have been bang average.

Therefore AD’s use of the word is correct.

When I watched the play off semi-final between the Pirates and the Robins at The Four Point Arena and Chesney Hawkes’ ‘I am the one and only’ was belting out, quickly followed by Elvia Presley’s ‘Are you lonesome tonight’, that was an exaggeration, but only just! 

• Like 3