British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Does this league have a future ?

7 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Im not anti the third tier, I enjoy it, however its very hard to find a competitive match to go and see week in week out  with 2 closely matched sides .

As the previous poster says, if these potential changes to the 2nd tier are mooted then the relevant parties need to know asap. 

The thing is mate, beggars can't be choosers. Recently it's been easier to find water in the Sahara than go to speedway in the South east. It is what it is at the moment. I'm up for an improvement in standards, but I'm not holding my breath.

Guest GiveusaB

I think one thing I've learnt to accept with third tier racing is.......change your expectancy levels? instead of 'expecting' to see neck/neck fast/furious racing (although there is some of that from time to time) I go with the anticipation of seeing a bright young talent coming through ?

I'd love to see Jason Doyle ride week in week out, but it aint much exciting when he's half a lap ahead ? I get more enjoyment from watching Leon Flint develop......Tom Brennan develop.....Drew Kemp develop etc etc etc......yes it's slower, but less predictable and offers value for money ! imo

Like I say, it takes some adjusting (3rd tier racing) but if you can take it for what it is? then it's quite satisfying from an entertainment spectacle.

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think one thing I've learnt to accept with third tier racing is.......change your expectancy levels? instead of 'expecting' to see neck/neck fast/furious racing (although there is some of that from time to time) I go with the anticipation of seeing a bright young talent coming through ?

I'd love to see Jason Doyle ride week in week out, but it aint much exciting when he's half a lap ahead ? I get more enjoyment from watching Leon Flint develop......Tom Brennan develop.....Drew Kemp develop etc etc etc......yes it's slower, but less predictable and offers value for money ! imo

Like I say, it takes some adjusting (3rd tier racing) but if you can take it for what it is? then it's quite satisfying from an entertainment spectacle.

I've been a regular from the start in 1994. When some of my local tracks dropped down, it was no culture shock to me.

Guest GiveusaB

I think the riders find it more of a culture shock when trying to step up a league?

There appears to be a sizeable gulf between the NL and Championship ? (slightly digressing off topic....)

The dilemma at the moment is not the NL but what happens to the PL and CL.

I don’t think the standard of the NL can be reduced any without making it a novices league and that would be bad for the clubs involved.

If the two leagues above amalgamate then there could well be a demand for more riders from the NL, so doubling up comes into play, and we now how that goes!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

If this League doesn't have a future then I'd seriously be worried about the Premier League ?

I've not seen one Premier League meeting this season that's been as good as some of the NL meetings I've seen ?

Yes, they're ten times quicker, but nowhere near as entertaining ....imo

Couldn't agree more.

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Ive enjoyed the National League the past 3 or so seasons and like you its been a pleasure to see the development of some of the young riders but for me I miss the likes of Ben Barker, Josh Auty, Nico Covatti flinging it in the dirt close to the fence. I dont want Premiership because it all ended in tears last time in 2014 but I think a move up a league would be a good thing. We see Tom Bacon winning by half a lap already and I don't necessary think you get better racing, you get good and bad races in any league. We have had alot of success in NL and its been very enjoyable but its time to move on, just the only question for me is would the crowds sustain a higher level of speedway.

Guest GiveusaB
22 minutes ago, Brummie Kev said:

Ive enjoyed the National League the past 3 or so seasons and like you its been a pleasure to see the development of some of the young riders but for me I miss the likes of Ben Barker, Josh Auty, Nico Covatti flinging it in the dirt close to the fence. I dont want Premiership because it all ended in tears last time in 2014 but I think a move up a league would be a good thing. We see Tom Bacon winning by half a lap already and I don't necessary think you get better racing, you get good and bad races in any league. We have had alot of success in NL and its been very enjoyable but its time to move on, just the only question for me is would the crowds sustain a higher level of speedway.

I must admit, the Tony Mole farewell meeting last season reminded me of the 'Barker' fence riding days :) Peter Kildemand was another one that scared the life out of me when he hit the bends at PB :)

I agree with your post about moving up.

My posts are merely pointing out the positive sides of NL racing?

I'm just grateful to the Masons for our continued existence.....I have a feeling that 'they're' business men and will want us to progress .

You can all be sure that the 2 Top Leagues will have no consideration for the NL at there AGM, They will try and sort them selves out the the NL will be left with what’s left, The BSPA give virtually no thought to the NL, I’ve heard by good authority that they “Forgot” about the 4TT  and that’s why it’s not taking place this season    

• Like 1

There must be a place for a training ground for young inexperienced riders.

unfortunately some teams are desperate to win the league and have to many experienced riders to gain an advantage and pay too much for them

• Like 2

Don’t forget the NL is a  Business just as the other leagues, if you don’t have a competitive team the fans don’t come and you go out of Business.

Guest GiveusaB

May be next season the 'League'; matches should take priority and be completed before a meaningless KOC/National Trophy match ?

6 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

May be next season the 'League'; matches should take priority and be completed before a meaningless KOC/National Trophy match ?

Wish i could find the threads / posts about this from pre-season. But 100% agree. League matches first, get them completed and those that have hosted all their home fixtures by an agreed cut off are then able to enter the other competitions, if not there would still be X number of weeks to prioritise the completion of league fixtures. That way we might have a chance of the genuine top 4 being the top 4 and prevent the ridiculous post play off date matches where blatant average manipulation occurs.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2018 at 7:27 PM, GiveusaB said:

I must admit, the Tony Mole farewell meeting last season reminded me of the 'Barker' fence riding days :) Peter Kildemand was another one that scared the life out of me when he hit the bends at PB :)

I agree with your post about moving up.

My posts are merely pointing out the positive sides of NL racing?

I'm just grateful to the Masons for our continued existence.....I have a feeling that 'they're' business men and will want us to progress .

Totally agree with you, The Tony Mole farewell was for me the most enjoyable meeting of 2017. Good to see some old faces and say goodbye to a man that resurrected the sport in Birmingham. Impressed with what David and Peter Mason have done so far.

10 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

League matches first, get them completed and those that have hosted all their home fixtures by an agreed cut off are then able to enter the other competitions, if not there would still be X number of weeks to prioritise the completion of league fixtures. That way we might have a chance of the genuine top 4 being the top 4 and prevent the ridiculous post play off date matches where blatant average manipulation occurs.

Great idea. Support you on this one.

You'll probably be frogmarched out of the sport for being far too sensible. :)

If your idea was adopted we could have the Play Offs at the end of summer when it was still warm (and dry?).

The autumn could be for the cups/trophy.

What's not to like?

• Thanks 1