British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ScunnyDan

Scorpions v Ipswich 24.08.18 SGBC

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

His only impressive showing so far though seemed to of struggled in his other meetings ?

Oh my what a crazy statement. 

Two meetings to settle then netting 14 points away from home the lad is pure class. A lot of jealous eyes out there that for once Ipswich have signed a true jem. Reminds me of all the moaners when Gollob arrive on a 7.5 average. 

• Like 2

I did not expect such a big win at all! All rode well, & Kemp surpassed all hopes. Well done!

16 hours ago, cityrebel said:

My heart bleeds for the 'god'

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke 

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

Oh my what a crazy statement. 

Two meetings to settle then netting 14 points away from home the lad is pure class. A lot of jealous eyes out there that for once Ipswich have signed a true jem. Reminds me of all the moaners when Gollob arrive on a 7.5 average. 

I liked Joe Screen really rated Courtney but this Kemp lad can do it Lee excited me a freak this lad can cut the mustard.

Tbh, us witches fans have had a pretty awful season so fitting Drew in, in this latter part of the season is a highlight. Last night his score was awesome, however I suspect to a man, we aren't expecting him to perform like that much.

Being able to get coty too has helped as no pressure on him at all.

We mustn't forget this actually is his first season in speedway, so no pressure on the boy from here at Foxhall. Enjoy the journey Drew, learn your trade from Chris donc and co.

• Like 2

There are  some very good young riders out there at the moment, and along with Drew look to have what it takes to go a long way in the sport. I for one hope they all make it .

• Like 3

Despite knowing how good Drew is last night he scored as many points as I expected from his whole stint to the season end!

A great talent and one of a few coming through which is fantastic news for British Speedway

• Like 2

Drew Kemp was outstanding last night.  Great to see a young Brit doing so well.

Scorpions simply ran out of resources.  Disappointing night, but it was always going to tough as soon as Josh and Jake were ruled out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Badge said:

We mustn't forget this actually is his first season in speedway, so no pressure on the boy from here at Foxhall. Enjoy the journey Drew, learn your trade from Chris donc and co.

it was his involvement with Chris Louis that got me thinking 15 yearolds should be in the CL, im convinced a lad like that under Louis`s watch would have been fine to start this season racing in the CL,  for sure no worse that some of the 2 pointers we have seen recently  or some of the other shyte ive seen for that matter:o

Guest WTF1
4 hours ago, montie said:

it was his involvement with Chris Louis that got me thinking 15 yearolds should be in the CL, im convinced a lad like that under Louis`s watch would have been fine to start this season racing in the CL,  for sure no worse that some of the 2 pointers we have seen recently  or some of the other shyte ive seen for that matter:o

And Scunthorpe have the worst 2 pointer in Phillips,  hardly scored a point all season at Scunny with all his track time there, yet Drew Kemp barely 16 on his first visit goes away with paid 14 points ,unbelievable.

Young Drew Kemp will be a top British rider very quickly, he rode our track brilliantly and you would have thought that he was a home rider, the way he attacked the difficult conditions because of earlier heavy rain was unbelievable.

When you see our supposedly 2 pointer Phillips trundling round at the back of every race, you would think that he was on a 350 CC bike, and to think that he has ridden for years and was even riding a few years ago in our Conference League team, he is probably averaging 1 point, and most of these have been gained from 3rd places in three rider races, but for the past six years Rob has always had at least one no scoring dummy in the team, but with all of the injuries we have had this season Phillips has had to also take injured riders and RR rides as well as his own, even scoring seven zero's in some meetings, no team can carry a rider like him.   OK as has been stated, the guy had a bad crash last season, but a year later this excuse cannot still be used for ever, he should stay in the Conference League until he can be classed as a good rider in that leagues standard and should have been binned months ago, and give one of this batch of young Brithish riders a chance, I admire the guy, but am sick of watching him make up the numbers, and have no chance of meeting a 2 point average, I an wondering what he thinks of himself at scoring zero after zero every meeting, we could have possibly have got away with it if we had not had so many injuries, and also not having a second reserve that has had his share of zero meetings.

I have supported the Scunthorpe team since Quible Park, Ashbt Ville and the EWR, and have only missed one meeting in the past 8 years, but we actually walked out of Fridays meeting after 9 heats of painfull strung out races, no passing and we got outgated every race, the scoreline of 30-59 reflected how terrible our team performed, with Nielsen zero from 6 races, Phillips zero from 3 races, Worrall 3 then withdrawal and the Guest 4 from 5 races, this from a home team is pathetic, and no wonder supporters were leaving after 8 or 9 drawn out races.

Six years of being in the bottom two places is a bit depressing at times, but the racing is normally very good on our track, but with getting stuffed nearly every week it gets a bit much at times.

6 hours ago, Scorpison said:

Young Drew Kemp will be a top British rider very quickly, he rode our track brilliantly and you would have thought that he was a home rider, the way he attacked the difficult conditions because of earlier heavy rain was unbelievable.

When you see our supposedly 2 pointer Phillips trundling round at the back of every race, you would think that he was on a 350 CC bike, and to think that he has ridden for years and was even riding a few years ago in our Conference League team, he is probably averaging 1 point, and most of these have been gained from 3rd places in three rider races, but for the past six years Rob has always had at least one no scoring dummy in the team, but with all of the injuries we have had this season Phillips has had to also take injured riders and RR rides as well as his own, even scoring seven zero's in some meetings, no team can carry a rider like him.   OK as has been stated, the guy had a bad crash last season, but a year later this excuse cannot still be used for ever, he should stay in the Conference League until he can be classed as a good rider in that leagues standard and should have been binned months ago, and give one of this batch of young Brithish riders a chance, I admire the guy, but am sick of watching him make up the numbers, and have no chance of meeting a 2 point average, I an wondering what he thinks of himself at scoring zero after zero every meeting, we could have possibly have got away with it if we had not had so many injuries, and also not having a second reserve that has had his share of zero meetings.

I have supported the Scunthorpe team since Quible Park, Ashbt Ville and the EWR, and have only missed one meeting in the past 8 years, but we actually walked out of Fridays meeting after 9 heats of painfull strung out races, no passing and we got outgated every race, the scoreline of 30-59 reflected how terrible our team performed, with Nielsen zero from 6 races, Phillips zero from 3 races, Worrall 3 then withdrawal and the Guest 4 from 5 races, this from a home team is pathetic, and no wonder supporters were leaving after 8 or 9 drawn out races.

Six years of being in the bottom two places is a bit depressing at times, but the racing is normally very good on our track, but with getting stuffed nearly every week it gets a bit much at times.

I think you are being a little harsh here, even if that is understandable in the circumstances. Scunthorpe were awful on Friday.

Rob Godfrey has taken a lot of criticism this season for some of his actions and in my opinion much of that is justified. But it is a lot harder to criticise him for what has happened at Scunthorpe.

In past seasons, EWR has quite properly gained a huge reputation for excellent racing.  Even though I have made many visits to the NSS this year, the best match I have seen remains Scunthorpe v Glasgow. On Friday, I think we were lucky to see a meeting at all given the weather conditions and I think Rob can be forgiven for the track not being at its best then. 

As to the team, on Friday both Auty and Allen were inadequately replaced. Nielsen is a pale shadow of the brilliant rider he was at the outset of the season and I suspect shouldn't be riding at all.  Worrall went out after one race. Manzares was disappointing and while Phillips struggled, there aren't many on his average who would do much better. 

Rob can be accused of putting out mediocre teams in the past, but not in 2018. What was a good team on paper has been destroyed by injury and that just isn't his fault.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Scorpison said:

I think that this is a feeling so many long-term fans have had or have been having for quite a long time. Yes, the hair that broke the camel's back, in this case, was a woefully weak home team ( due to injuries ) but the poor, slow presentation, little or no passing is what supporters everywhere are walking away from in numbers that are significant enough to break the back of speedway in the UK. The slow stream of fans who have "given up" on speedway is what is at the heart of the massive downturn in crowd numbers, I can't see even the new league proposals doing much to halt the slide unless the on-track racing and entertainment value is also improved. And this is at what is seen as one of the best three racing strips in the country.

As I see speedway at the moment; Riders who have been at the top of the sport becoming older and slower and can control their averages by choosing whether to attack and go for a win or settle for 2nd even third spot, then eventually drop down a league with an average that allows them to be in reserve spot. I'm not saying its wrong but  Reserve spots in all leagues should be for the young up and coming riders. Its how they learn their trade! Supporters pay to watch proper racing and want to see an all out attack of all four riders going for a win!. Understandably we have many accidents and riders that get injured eventually do get back to best. At Scunthorpe,  Unfortunately, this year we got to see all this from our very first home meeting! Its very hard to take. I'm a huge fan but didn't go to the Ipswich meeting.  Missed the new sensational youngster. BUT Good luck!  I am looking forward to the day I see you race!