British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, Trees said:

If you listen to the reasons for refusal of the 'village' plans at Brandon I think they have reasons for refusal that won't change and planning permission should never be received on that site .......

That is most definitely correct and I don’t see how Brandon estates get around the loss of the stadium argument.

of course they can just sit on it for another decade.

hopefully they will get hammered in the courts next week.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, naffer said:

That is most definitely correct and I don’t see how Brandon estates get around the loss of the stadium argument.

of course they can just sit on it for another decade.

hopefully they will get hammered in the courts next week.

Hope so!

• Like 1

From todays Telegraph, a small collection of archive photos and some sad pics from recent times. It all goes to show what a waste this charade is  !!  :cry:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/history/gallery/now-coventry-bees-brandon-stadium-25483718?utm_source=coventry_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Edited by jrs
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrs said:

From todays Telegraph, a small collection of archive photos and some sad pics from recent times. It all goes to show what a waste this charade is  !!  :cry:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/history/gallery/now-coventry-bees-brandon-stadium-25483718?utm_source=coventry_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

The whole episode has been a disgrace but hopefully things have turned round for the better.

• Like 1

Sadly I feel you have won the battle not the war the council will do all they can up to the point of them shelling out in possible legal costs ,I feel the planning will end up being decided by the  Secretary of State and they will pobably win .

Make no mistake I want s/way to return but IMO someone needs to secure a long lease or purchase the site the first maybe possible but with the economic  issues now and in the near furture  who would invest that  kind of money in a minority sport ? .  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

Sadly I feel you have won the battle not the war the council will do all they can up to the point of them shelling out in possible legal costs ,I feel the planning will end up being decided by the  Secretary of State and they will pobably win .

Make no mistake I want s/way to return but IMO someone needs to secure a long lease or purchase the site the first maybe possible but with the economic  issues now and in the near furture  who would invest that  kind of money in a minority sport ? .  

They have someone lined up ....... there's more that can be done with the venue to bring in extra revenue from even speedway and stock car racing ......

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Trees said:

They have someone lined up ....... there's more that can be done with the venue to bring in extra revenue from even speedway and stock car racing ......

That's great news that's exactly what needs to happen

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

I'm sure we all want Speedway to recommence at Brandon but i think you make a very valid point about it going ultimatey to the Secretary Of State and invariably that will lead to houses being the winner.

Logistically too there is a problem too I feel in that we already have Speedway at Leicester to the East, Birmingham and Wolves to the West, Oxford to the South. Leicester have done well crowd wise with a successful CL team, Wolves continue to attract decent Crowds but down on 5 years ago and Brummies frankly struggle and have been kept going by the Masons who lost a lot of money and now Nigel Tolley who is investing silly amounts (and credit to his enthusiasm for that) but we have to be totally honest, not sustainable amounts and we've seen other Tracks close in such circumstances when the reality bites that they are never going to make money.

I think the only really viable opportunity for Speedway at a Rebuilt Brandon would be generated by either Stocks or Dogs or both. Greyhound Racing is in decline and has animal rights issues and there are viable dog tracks to the West (concidentally at PB and Monmore) . Stocks historically did very well at Brandon (Brisca F1 e.g proper Stocks) once a month , and whilst the crowds for that are in decline too, it could still be a crowd puller but a Stadium would need more than once a month occupancy.

If Coventry Speedway fans also suddenly had a Team to support, what would be the knock on impact on Leicester, Brummies and Wolves. I don't think it would impact Wolves too much, I fear that even 50 less would be significant for Brummies and Leicester would most likely lose a fair occasional walk up too.

The fly in the ointment too is the ongoing situation re Wasps and the Stadium there and the whilst the team are doing far better than they were when in the 3rd tier and a small Community stadium at Brandon for soccer was mooted (I think Cov were playing at Northampton at the time) it's not outside the realms that soccer could be considered for that site if the Ricoh is suddenly not available to CCFC. That said CCFC in their current progression would need 25000 + Arena and that's never going to be on the Brandon site due to infrastructure.

So, I agree , a battle won but unfortunately still a massive war to fight,

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

I'm sure we all want Speedway to recommence at Brandon but i think you make a very valid point about it going ultimatey to the Secretary Of State and invariably that will lead to houses being the winner.

Logistically too there is a problem too I feel in that we already have Speedway at Leicester to the East, Birmingham and Wolves to the West, Oxford to the South. Leicester have done well crowd wise with a successful CL team, Wolves continue to attract decent Crowds but down on 5 years ago and Brummies frankly struggle and have been kept going by the Masons who lost a lot of money and now Nigel Tolley who is investing silly amounts (and credit to his enthusiasm for that) but we have to be totally honest, not sustainable amounts and we've seen other Tracks close in such circumstances when the reality bites that they are never going to make money.

I think the only really viable opportunity for Speedway at a Rebuilt Brandon would be generated by either Stocks or Dogs or both. Greyhound Racing is in decline and has animal rights issues and there are viable dog tracks to the West (concidentally at PB and Monmore) . Stocks historically did very well at Brandon (Brisca F1 e.g proper Stocks) once a month , and whilst the crowds for that are in decline too, it could still be a crowd puller but a Stadium would need more than once a month occupancy.

If Coventry Speedway fans also suddenly had a Team to support, what would be the knock on impact on Leicester, Brummies and Wolves. I don't think it would impact Wolves too much, I fear that even 50 less would be significant for Brummies and Leicester would most likely lose a fair occasional walk up too.

The fly in the ointment too is the ongoing situation re Wasps and the Stadium there and the whilst the team are doing far better than they were when in the 3rd tier and a small Community stadium at Brandon for soccer was mooted (I think Cov were playing at Northampton at the time) it's not outside the realms that soccer could be considered for that site if the Ricoh is suddenly not available to CCFC. That said CCFC in their current progression would need 25000 + Arena and that's never going to be on the Brandon site due to infrastructure.

So, I agree , a battle won but unfortunately still a massive war to fight,

Shouldn't be allowed to go to the Secretary of State given the reasons the Rugby Planning Committee gave for turning it down??  Unless they going to build a school, doctors, shops etc on the site and provide the area with another sports stadium but one thing they can't do is restore 100 years of history they propose obliterating from the site!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trees said:

Shouldn't be allowed to go to the Secretary of State given the reasons the Rugby Planning Committee gave for turning it down??  Unless they going to build a school, doctors, shops etc on the site and provide the area with another sports stadium but one thing they can't do is restore 100 years of history they propose obliterating from the site!!

I agree Trees, but John Prescott single handedly closed Cradley Speedway for good. Even after the council refused houses several times. It shouldn't be allowed as these ministers aren't voted in by local people who are impacted by their decisions. It's a disgrace.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trees said:

Shouldn't be allowed to go to the Secretary of State

I think it will having been involved in several planning apps it allows the council and others to avoid any blame about the ultimate decision as it is taken by a faceless / impartial body as it were .

2 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

I think it will having been involved in several planning apps it allows the council and others to avoid any blame about the ultimate decision as it is taken by a faceless / impartial body as it were .

Perhaps now is the time to lobby Michael Gove.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:14 PM, Brian Buck said:

The Planning Committee voted 9-2 to refuse the application, but the Planning Officer resubmitted the application himself at the next meeting only a month later,

The Planning officer would only resubmit if the applicant (who pays a considerable amount to have an application processed) has paid for it to be resubmitted. When that happens, the planning officer is duty bound to reassess and resubmit an application. Your statement sounds like one person on the council staff (remember that a Planning Officer is a bog standard "white collar worker" like many other people on a council's payroll) with a vendetta. Assessing and processing a planning application takes a lot of time and therefore costs a lot of money, and any member of staff spending the time needed to process an application without someone else to pay the bill for it, just as a vindictive act of revenge, would quickly be shown the door.

21 minutes ago, Deano said:

Perhaps now is the time to lobby Michael Gove.

Sounds like a job for the BSPZzz's Parliamentary Liaison team (whatever they are called these days) eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Sounds like a job for the BSPZzz's Parliamentary Liaison team (whatever they are called these days) eh?

Not sure that would end with a positive outcome for speedway.

It always seems to be left to the fans to co-ordinate these things.

• Like 2