British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, eric i said:

Sports England guy was useless didn't know how many riders were in a team, sounded like he had never been to speedway despite living in manchester.

Do you know if osbourne has spoken at all yet as I didn’t hear him yesterday ?

2 hours ago, 40-38 said:

Trouble is none of that's appeared in any of the official paperwork. No good relying on figures that aren't provided in official evidence. 

But it's,a public enquiry/appeal so everything said in the Council Chamber will become a matter of record.

Hard to escape the feeling (and it must be obvious to the 'laymen' listening to evidence at the inquiry) speedway's future is built on foundations of sand because so few clubs own their stadia. And one that did, Buxton, packed up!

I would like for the Barrister of the Save Coventry Speedway to actually ask the question as to who "Brandon Estates" actually are ie who are the directors could well give us some idea who has been behind the proposal to develop Brandon rather than just hide behind a company name, especially one that's registered abroad.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 3

That was a tough watch but it’s still early days and of course B.E are going to dig at anything at all possible to get an upper hand even though I found it bizarre that the cost of reinstating the stadium was mentioned when what’s coming is how it got into that state?. 
The witness for the council in all fairness kept his cool as he was spoken too quite poorly at times and was asked questions they knew he wasn’t going to have answers for.  B.E will soon have plenty of questions to answer themselves from the campaign group as B.E are still hell bent on separating speedway and stox. It was never going to be plain sailing and no matter the outcome the campaign group could not have done more and I’m pretty confident that when given their time to speak they will go hell for leather to paint Brandon Estates for what they really are. 

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Coventry_Bee said:

The witness for the council in all fairness kept his cool as he was spoken too quite poorly at times and was asked questions they knew he wasn’t going to have answers for.

In fact alot of the time he was having the answers put in his mouth, with questions often ending with "yes?"

• Like 1

Speedway is so unpopular a negative spin/ fib  can easily be taken as the truth. You’d never get away with it with other well known sports.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Who's being questioned at the moment? I missed the start, it's a Stock Car bloke

Inquiry advised short-term cost of circa £736,000 to restore Brandon (fire and vandal-damaged grandstand excluded) for stock car and speedway racing. Terracing on the back straight and each bend would provide a 6,000 capacity. Estimate based on 2020 site visit and 2023 photographs. Basis of estimate being questioned!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

Just now, iainb said:

Who's being questioned at the moment? I missed the start, it's a Stock Car bloke

A Mr Hunter, from Preston - former stock car driver (also missed his full introduction - if there was one).

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

A Mr Hunter, from Preston - former stock car driver.

Is he the guy that wants to buy it and reinstate it as an operational stadium?

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Is he the guy that wants to buy it and reinstate it as an operational stadium?

Yeah, he has driven Stocks and the company that he part owns (Family) is very profitable ie pretty significant profits.

• Like 3

Sadly, as with the speedway representatives, Mr Hunter, the stock car guy, under questioning, seems rather short on hard facts. 

"Have you taken professional advice?"

"No. It's just my view."

Why don't I like the sound of that!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, heathen52 said:

Yeah, he has driven Stocks and the company that he part owns (Family) is very profitable ie pretty significant profits.

Did I hear him say a £51m turnover?