British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I mean it's had the glitz and glamour thrown at it by Sky, in a similar manner that Speedway did but it still seems to be unable to shake off it's cloth cap and whippets image and predominantly a northern sport.

Snooker & Darts have managed to change their image, especially Snooker. What was once a past time to be play in a smokey hall no has a much more modern image

Risible. You are years - decades - out of date. Stick to speedway, a failing and seemingly doomed sport you at least appear to know something about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Risible. You are years - decades - out of date. Stick to speedway, a failing and seemingly doomed sport you at least appear to know something about.

Well, you did ask :D

On 9/20/2023 at 7:32 AM, mel said:

Could it be the re-branded arena Essex team - Thurrock hammers? they've had the backing of their council to move forward I believe, although I'm happy to be corrected

Thurrock Council backing not worth nowt aren't they completely bankrupt. Thurrock Council has been left effectively bankrupt after hundreds of millions of pounds were put into risky investments. So imagine the cash cow of a housing development and a couple of donations to Councillors favourite charities will be welcomed with open arms. 

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Something to do with the NHS wanting a say... 

That has confused me - what input can they possibly have?

Also, didn't Mr Humphreys state Jeff Davies wanted to "take to the mike" at the start of todays proceedings? :unsure:

13 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

That has confused me - what input can they possibly have?

Also, didn't Mr Humphreys state Jeff Davies wanted to "take to the mike" at the start of todays proceedings? :unsure:

NHS want money from Brandon estates if the site is developed for houses ,to compensate for services to be rendered as it were ,£133k I think.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, Piotr Pyszny said:

I reported on Middlesbrough Bears during their last three years at Cleveland Park. The promotion knew what the crowd figures were but declined to publish them.

Lots of sports decline to reveal attendance figures (even some that used to). In this case, however, not providing verifiable figures is harming speedway's case.

Look at Man City, they announce capacity attendance with lots of empty seats. :-/

Just watching yesterday's cross examination of Osborne.
The representatives for both the Council and SCS were terrible and missed a huge opportunity to discredit him as anything even vaguely credible!
I fear the worst...

34 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Just watching yesterday's cross examination of Osborne.
The representatives for both the Council and SCS were terrible and missed a huge opportunity to discredit him as anything even vaguely credible!
I fear the worst...

Agree,I said as much yesterday Osbourne did his job none of it was properly challenged .Result will have to rely on the other criteria set not being met imo

The thing is there's been a hell of a lot of "opinion" presented as evidence... on both sides. It's the inspectors job to cut through all of this crap and make a decision based on actual evidence, and hopefully not opinion presented as evidence. Just because someday says it's evidence hopefully doesn't mean that it's just taken as read that it is "evidence"

• Like 2

Yes but you have to admit that gloatlys methodical approach compared to that of Humphrey’s  will have made it easier for her to understand and come to a conclusion on the stadium aspect

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toady said:

Yes but you have to admit that gloatlys methodical approach compared to that of Humphrey’s  will have made it easier for her to understand and come to a conclusion on the stadium aspect

Absolutely... he's clearly been the star of the show

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, naffer said:

NHS want money from Brandon estates if the site is developed for houses ,to compensate for services to be rendered as it were ,£133k I think.

The adjournment to 8/9th November to hear the updated NHS case for finance from BE, is not so much about their requested amount eg £133k (which is really neither here nor there in the overall scheme), but rather to ensure the Council don't set themselves up and set a precedent for similar future claims on other planning app cases!

Irrespective of the current planning decision, the site is owned by Brandon Estates. They can choose not to sell it (as they have done so far) and continue to stonewall on any decisions to do anything with the site , hoping for a a bumper payday after appealing and appealing the planning consent over and over again.

The potential value of the land for residential use (or building a new hospital , a new school, an new sports centre gym etc etc ) will be much more than any use for stock cars or speedway use.  

If Brandon Estates won't sell then I see no way  of speedway returning to the Brandon raceway ?

The lack of data on attendance at speedway meetings portrays Speedway as a sport administered by enthusiastic amateurs. Failure to produce such data suggests they have something to hide. Any business model for the speedway cannot be taken seriously without evidence of attendance at existing stadia.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Irrespective of the current planning decision, the site is owned by Brandon Estates. They can choose not to sell it (as they have done so far) and continue to stonewall on any decisions to do anything with the site , hoping for a a bumper payday after appealing and appealing the planning consent over and over again.

The potential value of the land for residential use (or building a new hospital , a new school, an new sports centre gym etc etc ) will be much more than any use for stock cars or speedway use.  

If Brandon Estates won't sell then I see no way  of speedway returning to the Brandon raceway ?

The lack of data on attendance at speedway meetings portrays Speedway as a sport administered by enthusiastic amateurs. Failure to produce such data suggests they have something to hide. Any business model for the speedway cannot be taken seriously without evidence of attendance at existing stadia.

A business model for Speedway is irrelevant. The viability of Speedway is irrelevant. The fact that someone is prepared to refurbish the stadium and run the two sports is surely an argument FOR the viability of the sport(s).

BE's failure to comply with the planning & safety requirements throughout their ownership, failure to provide and fund an alternative site for a stadium, ignoring local residents opposition for the redevelopment etc. should also be taken into account in rejecting their appeal.

• Like 3