British Speedway Forum

15 minutes ago, Toady said:

Yeh, but it ain’t you he’s trying to convince is it

Never said it was however it's up to those inolved with the enquiry to arrive at a conclusion based on his comments/observations baring in mind his past record.

On 10/5/2023 at 4:41 PM, marko said:

If Brandon Estates are happy to sit on the land for years to come hoping that a change of mind might happen that that will be that.

The council can’t make them sell the land, but whether legally possible, could they pass a motion that the land is to be retained for the exclusive use of sport for the next 10, 20, 30 years?

No. The council has a statutory obligation to draw up local plan containing appropriate planning policies for the area and designating land uses. 

However the plan goes through a long process including consultation and potentially public enquiry. Any plan policy saying the land must be used for a particular sport would be regarded as too narrow and never get through. The present policy is about as strong as could realistically be expected. 

21 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Never said it was however it's up to those inolved with the enquiry to arrive at a conclusion based on his comments/observations baring in mind his past record.

No its got nothing at all  to do with his past record unfortunately

46 minutes ago, Toady said:

No its got nothing at all  to do with his past record unfortunately

Unfortunately I would have to agree (now there's a first!) but comments he made in "The Star" were somewhat ambiguous and open to question which is what I was commenting upon from a personal point of view and knowing first hand the circumstances at Cowley in the middle seventies. There was also his involvement at Bristol as part of a consortium that didn't get the necessary planning permission despite operating for a couple of years which in my opinion questions his "integrity" but that's for others to question and decide if they wish to go down that particular line of enquiry?

Edited by steve roberts

59 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Unfortunately I would have to agree (now there's a first!) but comments he made in "The Star" were somewhat ambiguous and open to question which is what I was commenting upon from a personal point of view and knowing first hand the circumstances at Cowley in the middle seventies. There was also his involvement at Bristol as part of a consortium that didn't get the necessary planning permission despite operating for a couple of years which in my opinion questions his "integrity" but that's for others to question and decide if they wish to go down that particular line of enquiry?

Neither of the two barristers for council or scs  challenged him on his record in business sad to say , he was only questioned around stadium/speedway/Stox  viability to which he had done his homework and used his questionable experience.

3 minutes ago, Toady said:

Neither of the two barristers for council or scs  challenged him on his record in business sad to say , he was only questioned around stadium/speedway/Stox  viability to which he had done his homework and used his questionable experience.

As a matter of interest is his role in the enquiry just an advisory one or does he have a vestige interest in proceedings? 

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

As a matter of interest is his role in the enquiry just an advisory one or does he have a vestige interest in proceedings? 

He isn’t anything to do with Brandon estates but I think they reached out to him after his success at Swindon and considering the work his team have put in on behalf of BE a large brown envelope will have been presented to him(I expect a nice bonus to be given if planning is granted)

55 minutes ago, Toady said:

He isn’t anything to do with Brandon estates but I think they reached out to him after his success at Swindon and considering the work his team have put in on behalf of BE a large brown envelope will have been presented to him(I expect a nice bonus to be given if planning is granted)

I'm sure that there is some truth in that!

By the way it's good that we have managed to have a civil conversation which can only be a good thing! :t:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm sure that there is some truth in that!

By the way it's good that we have managed to have a civil conversation which can only be a good thing! :t:

Careful !

1 hour ago, Toady said:

Careful !

I'm okay with it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The BE Planning Consultant (was that Hooper?) is the same chap who Osborne has as Consultant for his Swindon Motorsports project?! Read into that what you will........

Edited by Skidder1

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The BE Planning Consultant (was that Hooper?) is the same chap who Osborne has as Consultant for his Swindon Motorsports project?! Read into that what you will........

That makes sense...thanks for that!

42 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

When Osbourne was asked about the motorsport project he said “it’s making good progress” but no one pushed him on it,as usual he just had an easy ride.

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Take a look at his involvement as Torquay Utd and read about the plans for their stadium and all the pieces start to fall together