British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
teaboy279

Kent Kings vs Leicester Cubs

if kent can limp to the play offs and somehow get 7 fit riders they are still the equal of any team in the league, they've had a  shocking run of injurys 

• Like 2

Given all the injuries last nights result was not a surprise. Shame because Kent were going along nicely. I adopted them as other team.

• Like 1

I’m sure everyone who attended the meeting were also overjoyed that Kent only had 6 riders.

Unless you know and understand the strict rules surrounding this sport then it would have been baffling to someone who didn’t!!

8 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

if kent can limp to the play offs and somehow get 7 fit riders they are still the equal of any team in the league, they've had a  shocking run of injurys 

Yep! Gilkes should be fit and they could even tempt Ablitt to change his mind by then in meetings that don’t affect his average!

11 hours ago, GWC said:

I’m sure everyone who attended the meeting were also overjoyed that Kent only had 6 riders.

Unless you know and understand the strict rules surrounding this sport then it would have been baffling to someone who didn’t!!

Five riders. R/R for Spooner and no one at 6 or 8. In fact Leicester finished the match with five as well.

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Five riders. R/R for Spooner and no one at 6 or 8. In fact Leicester finished the match with five as well.

Agree but the difference being that for two races the Kings only had one representative so were never going to be able to claw points back but at best stay as they were! Due to the silly 2 point rule the fans were robbed again. I'm so pleased I never wasted my money on this one Kent is expensive at the best of times.

10 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

Agree but the difference being that for two races the Kings only had one representative so were never going to be able to claw points back but at best stay as they were! Due to the silly 2 point rule the fans were robbed again. I'm so pleased I never wasted my money on this one Kent is expensive at the best of times.

Out of curiosity why is the silly 2 point rule to blame? I would argue that not lining up a number 8 when running RR and knowing that Gilkes had taken a knock was issue 1, then Gilkes declaring he was unfit to ride on the Monday morning rather than the Sunday issue 2. 

The other question that remains is will Kent get into trouble for fielding an under strength side or does that not apply to home teams? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Crusader said:

As a neutral, i still enjoyed it. With so few options now in the south east, beggars can't be choosers.

Not sure what it says about Kent, or in fairness to them the attitude of young riders / amateur riders, if they can't find anyone willing to ride at number 7 in an NDL match? 

Why were they not inundated with options from SDL level riders? young or a bit older?

18 minutes ago, HGould said:

Not sure what it says about Kent, or in fairness to them the attitude of young riders / amateur riders, if they can't find anyone willing to ride at number 7 in an NDL match? 

Why were they not inundated with options from SDL level riders? young or a bit older?

I think there were plenty of options available to the however riders receiving phone calls on Monday lunchtime doesn't really give them much chance of being prepared/getting out of work and to the track in the necessary time. 

20 minutes ago, HGould said:

It was announced they'd been on the phone since monday morning, but couldn't find anyone willing or able to ride. No one loses a home match on purpose. Some promoters would have conveniently left a hose pipe on, or said there was emergency electrical work going on in the area.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It was announced they'd been on the phone since monday morning, but couldn't find anyone willing or able to ride. No one loses a home match on purpose. Some promoters would have conveniently left a hose pipe on, or said there was emergency electrical work going on in the area.

Cityrebel makes a very good point.  We were told that the track had been under floods of water on Sunday, easily an excuse for cancelling a difficult

fixture I would guess. 

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Out of curiosity why is the silly 2 point rule to blame? I would argue that not lining up a number 8 when running RR and knowing that Gilkes had taken a knock was issue 1, then Gilkes declaring he was unfit to ride on the Monday morning rather than the Sunday issue 2. 

The other question that remains is will Kent get into trouble for fielding an under strength side or does that not apply to home teams? 

S4s you have made a very good point. I've not taken much notice of number 8's as they never seem to be included /declared in team line ups these days. But thinking ahead and covering the possible scenarios it would have been good to have made the arrangements you suggested. I would just like reserves to be replaced by guests according to average as with others in the team. But then I'm from a simpler time speedway in the 70's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

As a neutral, i still enjoyed it. With so few options now in the south east, beggars can't be choosers.

Good for you if you can afford it.

20 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

S4s you have made a very good point. I've not taken much notice of number 8's as they never seem to be included /declared in team line ups these days. But thinking ahead and covering the possible scenarios it would have been good to have made the arrangements you suggested. I would just like reserves to be replaced by guests according to average as with others in the team. But then I'm from a simpler time speedway in the 70's.

The problem on this occasion is that both absent reserves are still on 2.00 averages. Kent were in a very difficult position as usual number 8 Mulford is still suffering from the spill the previous week at Kent, previous stand in James Laker had already been booked when the late news that Gilkes wasn't available came through. That left the phone calls being made on Monday but late notice and lack of available locals plus Kent being an outpost for some made it a thankless & fruitless task.