British Speedway Forum
Badge

Kings Lynn stars v Ipswich witches 5th Aug

30 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Not relevant to this thread i know- but why are riders allowed on track without helmets on doing a parade on bikes - surely this is as much a safety issue as any other.

I’ve seen this as a recent practice to introduce riders to the crowd. I think they are meant to be riding round not at a racing pace. And yes I agree it’s a safety issue.

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Cook was stopped on the 4th bend. Just passed here is where intros take place and people were standing. 

Easy solution. No bikes on track during parade. 

There is an easier solution. Riders respect the parade and don’t push off until it’s safe to do so.

Also all officials and Marshals stay within their designated area. Marshals ensure children and sponsors/media stay within that designated area until red lights are on and all riders have left the track. So simple it usually always works!

8 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In the Dugard video clip anyone spot the track photographer coming into shot ON THE TRACK?  No doubt if the flag marshall hadn't been there then Cook would just have continued on to further disrupt the presentations.

Is that the guy in purple? I was too busy trying to work out the headbutt/shoulder barge to see that!

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Not relevant to this thread i know- but why are riders allowed on track without helmets on doing a parade on bikes - surely this is as much a safety issue as any other.

They just coast around - they should be doing practice starts any more, this was stopped years ago.  It gives the fans a chance to see their faces, to improve engagement.  On the topic of safety issues, a very real one which gets flouted at every GP and I've seen it at some league meeting as well is riders taking off their cut out lanyard after the finish of the race, with the engine and bike still running around the track - this is strictly outlawed in the UK.  All it takes is for one of these bikes' throttle to jam or similar and there could be carnage.  I fail to see why this practice is not stopped. 

20 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They just coast around - they should be doing practice starts any more, this was stopped years ago.  It gives the fans a chance to see their faces, to improve engagement.  On the topic of safety issues, a very real one which gets flouted at every GP and I've seen it at some league meeting as well is riders taking off their cut out lanyard after the finish of the race, with the engine and bike still running around the track - this is strictly outlawed in the UK.  All it takes is for one of these bikes' throttle to jam or similar and there could be carnage.  I fail to see why this practice is not stopped. 

Why can`t the throttle jam in the UK ?? at least the GP boys have headgear firmly on still.

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Why can`t the throttle jam in the UK ?? at least the GP boys have headgear firmly on still.

You're not getting my point.  Nothing to do with helmets on parade - or course a throttle could jam in the UK but they wear their cut out so simply pull it out and the bike stops.  This is also why they must be worn when warming the bikes up in the pits. 

Abroad, and particularly GPs I've seen, riders deliberately remove their cut out lanyard once a race has finished - plainly presenting a serious risk of the bike running with no way of easily stopping it.  Oh yeah, and mechanics regularly run onto track to recover a bike from a fallen rider, restart it then whizz off on it with no cut out on OR helmet on (and are probably not licensed or insured either).

Edited by SPEEDY69

31 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

You're not getting my point.  Nothing to do with helmets on parade - or course a throttle could jam in the UK but they wear their cut out so simply pull it out and the bike stops.  This is also why they must be worn when warming the bikes up in the pits. 

Abroad, and particularly GPs I've seen, riders deliberately remove their cut out lanyard once a race has finished - plainly presenting a serious risk of the bike running with no way of easily stopping it.  Oh yeah, and mechanics regularly run onto track to recover a bike from a fallen rider, restart it then whizz off on it with no cut out on OR helmet on (and are probably not licensed or insured either).

Except the cutout doesn’t always work - Nick Morris had this issue a few years ago when his bike went into the fence and the engine just kept revving

33 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Except the cutout doesn’t always work - Nick Morris had this issue a few years ago when his bike went into the fence and the engine just kept revving

Always the exception but I'm sure you're not advocating their removal from bikes?  They are tested before each meeting as well so there's not a lot more that can be done to ensure they operate correctly.

When I was on the spanners,, I used to have to fake the engine cutting out on one bike for a rider for quite a few meetings 

17 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

When I was on the spanners,, I used to have to fake the engine cutting out on one bike for a rider for quite a few meetings 

Ha, usually the examiner has control of the throttle and removes the cut out - did you remotely remove the plug cap or ground an ignition wire with a long piece of string?

Don’t think Eddie Kennett and Craig Cook are very good mates!

I notice that none of the brave riders bother to take off their helmets.  The first one (Cook maybe) just launches into punching some bloke who simply walks up to him - all I could see from Kennett was bear hugging someone, not the same at all.

9 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I notice that none of the brave riders bother to take off their helmets.  The first one (Cook maybe) just launches into punching some bloke who simply walks up to him - all I could see from Kennett was bear hugging someone, not the same at all.

Don't think he simply 'walked up to him' do you?  The bloke with the flag walked into his path, how stupid was that?

• Like 1

Looks like several others could get punished too if Cook does going by that video. 

From what has been reported and seeing the recording for myself - I genuinely cannot see why people are calling for Cook to be banned!  If introductions are still being done then no one should be on a bike.  They are on a bike so the flag marshall should not be on the track and certainly not deliberately side stepping in front of a bike with no brakes - everything that happened after that was as a result of that!  In my opinion Cook was provoked and he should have walked away but it was probably difficult with a mob around him.  Let’s see what happens next with the BSPA/SCB - if anything.  Seems to be a lot of Cook haters speaking out though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1