British Speedway Forum

I was at Odsal a couple of weeks ago watching rugby league and the place is in an absolutely terrible state. It is literally falling to pieces with the terracing badly cracked and crumbing. It would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to bring it up to a condition where you could even think about holding a GP there. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:29 PM, Derwent said:

I was at Odsal a couple of weeks ago watching rugby league and the place is in an absolutely terrible state. It is literally falling to pieces with the terracing badly cracked and crumbing. It would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to bring it up to a condition where you could even think about holding a GP there. 

Anybody who has been to Odsal recently will realise that it is falling apart.There is no chance the council could issue a safety certificate for anything like the number of people needed to make a G P financially viable.

17 hours ago, Derrickn said:

Anybody who has been to Odsal recently will realise that it is falling apart.There is no chance the council could issue a safety certificate for anything like the number of people needed to make a G P financially viable.

Looks good enough for the stock cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eric i said:

Looks good enough for the stock cars.

Boy, does that bring back some memories. Looks like speedway could be run there.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

and what would be done with what looks like iron girders on the fence line, corner 1/2

I assume an airfence would be used in an appopriate way IMO the practical issues can be solved the financial issues are the biggest  obstacle,  where there is a will and money there is always a  way

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 6:18 PM, Derrickn said:

What do you mean it's falling apart? Is the terracing dangerous?

If it's OK for stock car fans it's OK for us isn't it?

Edited by Trees
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, Trees said:

What do you mean it's falling apart? Is the terracing dangerous?

If it's OK for stock car fans it's OK for us isn't it?

well we need more speedway tracks in UK!!! im glad Swindon is coming back next season 2023

3 hours ago, speed29 said:

well we need more speedway tracks in UK!!! im glad Swindon is coming back next season 2023

Swindon is def back next year? Good if so!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trees said:

Swindon is def back next year? Good if so!

I'll believe it when I see it...the future of Swindon's Stadium has been banded about for so long now it's easy to think cynically.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'll believe it when I see it...the future of Swindon's Stadium has been banded about for so long now it's easy to think cynically.

I was just thinking I'd not seen the press release about it ....

• Like 1

This weeks star said efforts were made to get a GP at Odsal but the track wasn't wide enough to meet FIM standards. It would however meet British league standards if someone could come in and stump up the cash for a bespoke fence that would need to be taken down before every stocks meeting. The new owners are keen to see speedway return, I guess any extra revenue is good from their perspective, they must need all the cash they can get to maintain a big old stadium.

32 minutes ago, eric i said:

This weeks star said efforts were made to get a GP at Odsal but the track wasn't wide enough to meet FIM standards. It would however meet British league standards if someone could come in and stump up the cash for a bespoke fence that would need to be taken down before every stocks meeting. The new owners are keen to see speedway return, I guess any extra revenue is good from their perspective, they must need all the cash they can get to maintain a big old stadium.

It would be a huge risk for anyone...

A title winning team with world class  riders couldnt attract enough punters when Speedway probably had, at least, double the crowds it gets now...

And, unlike areas like Swindon, Coventry, Oxford and Birmingham, there hasnt been much of a concerted effort to try and bring Speedway back..

Maybe when they build that Superdome roof, meaning there wont be any rain off threats, it could then be viable...;)

• Like 3

Bradford Council have submitted plans for a new £100 million 25,000 capacity indoor stadium at Odsal.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Bradford Council have submitted plans for a new £100 million 25,000 capacity indoor stadium at Odsal.

I think that we've heard it all before!

• Like 2