British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

Saw two good meetings there, both World Finals...

The rest of the meetings I attended there were gate and go, one line, very fast races, one race after another...

And that was in the days before the "straight line rocket ships" that exist today.. 

Getting 10,000 in at the NSS should be the primary objective.. ..

I went to the '92 and '94 World Semi Finals, the former wasn't great due to the wet weather that day and a very heavy track but the latter was excellent, although I might have had rose tinted specs on as a Lynn fan due to Loram winning it and Henka coming third or fourth. Wonderful viewing in a steep bowl too.

Odasl would probably be good GP venue if the track could be widened quite a bit, say after the rugby league season when pitches are usually completely dug up and relaid anyway, sadly think it's too big to be economical for a league speedway venue.  As others have said, we have the very excellent NSS at Belle Vue so best to concentrate on increasing the crowd capacity there....

Rugby League season runs from February to September ... not sure when you are suggesting that a meeting should take place - October in West Yorkshire would be quite a gamble  

20 hours ago, eric i said:

Did you read the article in the star? They looked seriously at staging a GP, they had designs for a bespoke safety fence which would have been expensive. However it wasn't the cost that prevented it happening it was the width of the track that didn't meet FIM standards. The cost of a bespoke fence and the hefty rent is probably putting off a promoter doing league racing.

Which is basically what I’ve said , and I don’t get the Star .

9 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Rugby League season runs from February to September ... not sure when you are suggesting that a meeting should take place - October in West Yorkshire would be quite a gamble  

Just thinking out loud, don't and have never followed rugby league so no idea of their season, my only reason to visit rugby grounds has been when speedway has been staged within....

Edited by martinmauger
hopefully clarification

On 9/27/2022 at 7:55 AM, mikebv said:

Saw two good meetings there, both World Finals...

The rest of the meetings I attended there were gate and go, one line, very fast races, one race after another...

And that was in the days before the "straight line rocket ships" that exist today.. 

Getting 10,000 in at the NSS should be the primary objective.. ..

Have to agree. Went to Bradford every Saturday in the late 80s and 90s when Bellevue went to the dog track.

Saw the odd good meeting there usually when top of the table turned up and outdated screen/Loram etc. Very much one line hugging the curb 

32 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Have to agree. Went to Bradford every Saturday in the late 80s and 90s when Bellevue went to the dog track.

Saw the odd good meeting there usually when top of the table turned up and outdated screen/Loram etc. Very much one line hugging the curb 

What I've seen on DVD (only went to Bradford once) it struck me that although the track was very wide and heavily banked much of it offered no advantage after the first two bends from the start? I'm happy to be corrected by those with a better knowledge of attending meetings at Odsal.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

What I've seen on DVD (only went to Bradford once) it struck me that although the track was very wide and heavily banked much of it offered no advantage after the first two bends from the start? I'm happy to be corrected by those with a better knowledge of attending meetings at Odsal.

no, you're correct, you would imagine it cd be fixed with good prep though

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ch958 said:

no, you're correct, you would imagine it cd be fixed with good prep though

But it would seem it wasn’t fixed previously, why not?

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

But it would seem it wasn’t fixed previously, why not?

don't ask me OFF

11 hours ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

And yet, like me, you still went every week, and presumably enjoyed it.

So one post says Bradford was a 2 bend race track then nothing after, and another post says the only line was hugging the kerb.  Yes there seems to be support for Bradford to be a GP track!  I don’t understand the logic in that. Seems the only thing in its favour is it’s spectator capacity being better then BVue. Perhaps exciting races doesn’t matter to some supporters, they just like being in a crowd and bored.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:06 PM, Halifordukesfan said:

And yet, like me, you still went every week, and presumably enjoyed it.

Absolutely, used to love it. 

At the time it was a great stadium with great facilities and very enjoyable. 

The racing however wasn't anywhere near what we are currently seeing at NSS 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:38 PM, OveFundinFan said:

So one post says Bradford was a 2 bend race track then nothing after, and another post says the only line was hugging the kerb.  Yes there seems to be support for Bradford to be a GP track!  I don’t understand the logic in that. Seems the only thing in its favour is it’s spectator capacity being better then BVue. Perhaps exciting races doesn’t matter to some supporters, they just like being in a crowd and bored.

Bradford was for me, similar to Coventry...

Two tracks with a shape that should have lent itself to great racing, but, for some reason, you often came away from both extremely underwhelmed...

Yet, on the odd occasion,  you got to see some cracking racing at both...

Just, not enough times...