British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GiveusaB

Birmingham v Scunthorpe

I'm a bit bored at work, so thought I'd make a comment....

Not sure if Scunthorpe can reach the play-offs ? but it would be an achievement for us if we can avoid the 'wooden spoon' ?

Failing that, I can only envisage 2 teams going through the motions and trying to avoid injury through the off season? (may be apart from Garrity and Barker ? ) :D

I'd of definitely added Danny Ayres to that list if he was available.....'big loss' not just from a Scunthorpe perspective, but a general all round 'entertainment' point of view!

BIRMINGHAM: Adam Ellis, Tobias Thomsen, Tero Aarnio, Paco Castagna, Jason Garrity, Nick Agertoft, Tom Perry.

SCUNTHORPE: Josh Auty, Danny Ayres R/R, Stefan Nielsen, Ben Barker, Jake Allen, Ryan Kinsley, Simon Lambert.

I do wonder if this might be our swan song few weeks in Championship?

Rumours number Clubs struggling may move down to NDL make lot more attractive proposition especially if "one league" takes off and they have about 12 Clubs in it.

Can see a top 7 now plus Glasgow; Leicester ; Sheffield ; Somerset  with either Redcar or Scunthorpe next most likely.

The rest would go NDL to keep running and big cost savings.

Would make stronger NDL ideal for Clubs like Brummies 

36 minutes ago, HGould said:

I do wonder if this might be our swan song few weeks in Championship?

Rumours number Clubs struggling may move down to NDL make lot more attractive proposition especially if "one league" takes off and they have about 12 Clubs in it.

Can see a top 7 now plus Glasgow; Leicester ; Sheffield ; Somerset  with either Redcar or Scunthorpe next most likely.

The rest would go NDL to keep running and big cost savings.

Would make stronger NDL ideal for Clubs like Brummies 

The ' One League' option has been discussed at length and will keep raising its head until it actually gets confirmed.

Previous discussions at the top table had neither Edinburgh, Newcastle ,Scunthorpe or Redcar wishing to go into that scenario but how many of those clubs would want to drop to a NL standard league?

Sheffields future is still uncertain so maybe looking at two divisions of ten teams with a championship standard division and a NL standard division.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The ' One League' option has been discussed at length and will keep raising its head until it actually gets confirmed.

Previous discussions at the top table had neither Edinburgh, Newcastle ,Scunthorpe or Redcar wishing to go into that scenario but how many of those clubs would want to drop to a NL standard league?

Sheffields future is still uncertain so maybe looking at two divisions of ten teams ?

2 Leagues of 10 and an NDL may be about as good as we could expect right now. Any thoughts of who 10 and 10 would be as currently 7 and 11??  

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Sheffields future is still uncertain so maybe looking at two divisions of ten teams ?

Matches I have attended this season suggest crowd levels are still falling at a number of clubs,but don’t think moving down a league will solve anything.NL standard will maybe cut losses but it will not improve attendances or attract new fans.IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HGould said:

2 Leagues of 10 and an NDL may be about as good as we could expect right now. Any thoughts of who 10 and 10 would be as currently 7 and 11??  

Look at the lack of crowds at certain clubs and do the maths yourself.

At least one Premiership club is on its knees right now.

Having travelled extensively this season to see speedway a number of tracks are struggling and there's a few unhappy northern promoters wondering how long they can last with crowds of less than 400 at most meetings.

Buster Chapman can't buy every club and I think he bit off more than he could chew this year.

Id be pleasantly surprised if there are still 20 clubs still open in 2020.

• Sad 1

I don't think i'd bother going if we dropped down...the NL does nothing for me !?

I've loved our first season in the Championship regardless of our league position!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I don't think i'd bother going if we dropped down...the NL does nothing for me !?

I've loved our first season in the Championship regardless of our league position!

Having seen around six NL matches and eight Premiership, I'd much rather watch NL.

The Championship has by far the better standard of ' racing ' not gate and follow, but the NL can produce good racing even if it tends to be two battling at the front and two a way back battling for a point.

• Like 1

I can see things staying as they are. Peterborough could drop down and be replaced by Sheffield on their traditional Thursday race night. There might be a bit of movement between the second and third tiers, and maybe one or two casualties.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I can see things staying as they are. Peterborough could drop down and be replaced by Sheffield on their traditional Thursday race night. There might be a bit of movement between the second and third tiers, and maybe one or two casualties.

So things staying as they are.....with changes!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So things staying as they are.....with changes!

I'm talking in terms of league structure.

Steve Worrall steps in as guest for Jason Garrity who was admitted to hospital this afternoon