British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough Panthers 2020

3 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

If the other events are in the exhibition hall that is a lot nearer the parking area than the Speedway track is. Also buggy  transport  might be provided by the other event organisers.

That’s something else you’d think the speedway promotion could arrange with the minimum of fuss. 

Just now, Bagpuss said:

That’s something else you’d think the speedway promotion could arrange with the minimum of fuss. 

It's certainly been done in the past

24 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Given that they've created the fuss and couldn't organise, as every previous promotion has done, the system that they're ditching then I think that you give them too much credit.

That's just an additional problem which isn't any less problematic than administering internal parking.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Theres a statement on official website 

Neil posted it on previous page, hence the discussion.

Could this not be resolved with some clear designation of areas?

It sounds like the issue is the combination of public vehicles and pedestrians in the same space, which sounds a perfectly reasonable concern to me.

However if BB parking were to be clearly signposted and enforced (would only take 1 marshall to wave you into the correct area), surely that could eliminate the crossing of the two parties whilst allowing closer access for BB holders?

The old entry gate could serve as the way in for BB holders (as I believe it does now), a marshall  and a few cones at the start of the new hard standing area outside of the arena itself and park up there. At that point it is a much shorter walk to the grandstand...

Or am I missing something here?

showground.jpg

Edited by Method
Epic Illustration
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

I certainly did, at Peterborough, Kings Lynn and Mildenhall, Cliff is full of knowledge and stories!

It was my pleasure to arrange their close parking in 2018 (and 2014 I expect) when I was Promoter at Peterborough.

As you did for Jan and I too Neil, for which we thank you.

• Like 1

The existing entry for BB holders was via the same entrance as for Riders etc.  The problem was at the end of a meeting many people on foot exited by this entrance . Presumably they came by foot or had failed to park in the normal car park.

2 hours ago, Method said:

Ah I see

Until someone decided that the Arena car park was the place to go, basically where you've marked (hence driving through people and access routes), then the disabled generally went left away from the problem and parked on the roads towards the stand away from access routes and pedestrians. Many did last year although this wasn't the seemingly little known agreement, and did seem to be abit of a free for all, but was never picked up on or dealt with that I'm aware of. It's no good moaning about, and taking the nuclear option to, a problem before trying to deal with it sensibly. Had they done that and then said it's not working because of logistics, abuse of use, insults to staff etc then they might be receiving more of a sympathetic ear.

Edited by Crump99

5 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

This is blatant discrimination against the disabled and possibly in breach of disability law. I am investigating whether a formal report of a breach has been made with the relevant authorities. 

As you may have guessed I am a blue badge user and also a Motability user. The latter has a magazine for its members which I have contacted suggesting that they advise their readers of the situation and to take this into account before attending the arena.

I absolutely hate having to pass on negative publicity for once but this is a dangerous precedent. Speedway's ability to make insane decisions still astonishes me after all these years!

A line has been crossed here. Speedway may be immune to logic but not to the law.

If handled correctly this could become a national scandal , contacting  Motability  magazine is a good start especially if they take it further.  I see Speedway Star and Mr Rising who could have given support and publicity are conspicuous by their lack of involvement

7 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

If handled correctly this could become a national scandal , contacting  Motability  magazine is a good start especially if they take it further.  I see Speedway Star and Mr Rising who could have given support and publicity are conspicuous by their lack of involvement

Should definitely inform a couple of local papers. Sure they would be more than happy to run the story

• Like 1

Yer. He’s a nice young man. Maybe he will personally drive a golf cart to shuttle the disabled to the track from the car park . Nice. !!!

9 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

From www.peterborough-speedway.com

New parking restrictions for Disabled parking for the 2020 season:

The Peterborough promotion have taken the decision to use the Showground’s official disabled parking areas that are situated at the nearest point of entry to the Peterborough Showground venue.

This decision hasn’t been taken lightly and is due to a number of situations.

Due to the death of a close colleague at a race venue towards the end of last year, we have made a conscious decision to restrict the amount of vehicle movement within the Showground on a race night.

Sorry for the inconvenience but we hope everyone understands the situation

Surely they're not referring to Colin North's death as some kind of justification for this are they ?  

Incredibly bad taste if so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1