British Speedway Forum
DC2

How about a 10 week Premier League season?

How about a more intense season condensed into just ten or twelve weeks with 8 or 10 clubs riding against each other just twice (home and away) and with a home meeting every week, culminating in the play offs and grand final?

May to July or June to August.

It should focus the interest of the media and speedway fans and encourage more of them to travel to away matches. 

• Like 1

i have made COMmEnTS  about condensing the league program in the championship section . it will never happen because its an idea from followers of the sport and not the idiots who control British speedway  ! watching speedway in good weather , sun on yer back and a rola cola in yer hand .. 

no , instead we run the two most important meetings in both leagues in freezing , wet and crazy conditions .  time to wake up and smell the coffee British speedway .......... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DC2 said:

How about a more intense season condensed into just ten or twelve weeks with 8 or 10 clubs riding against each other just twice (home and away) and with a home meeting every week, culminating in the play offs and grand final?

It should focus the interest of the media and speedway fans and encourage more of them to travel to away matches. 

And which nights of the week would you have these Premiership meetings take place? And how would you guarantee Premiership-standard riders being available for all the fixtures?

Just asking....! 

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

There's a lot of sense to that, got to be better than the current situation with loads of blank dates mid summer then lots of action on the cold/dark/wet nights! Loads of logistical problems though.

A 2 month Speedway season? You cannot be serious!

Maybe do like other sports, though, and be home one week, away the next.

• Like 1

10 or 12 team league

13 Heat Format

No.7 protected British U23

Home and Away once 

One Cup Competition 

Start April finish in August

Play offs in September

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Falcon1983 said:

10 or 12 team league

13 Heat Format

No.7 protected British U23

Home and Away once 

One Cup Competition 

Start April finish in August

Play offs in September

Why 13 heats? Surely 15 is better value?

And Robert Lambert at reserve for King's Lynn?

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Why 13 heats? Surely 15 is better value?

And Robert Lambert at reserve for King's Lynn?

Is it better value? 

What if they say "less is more so let's call it £25 to watch speedway" as it's only a dozen meetings people will pay it

Or keep it £18 to watch 13 heats instead meaning less races, less cost for riders, less cost for promoters etc.  

Also with 13 heats do correct me if I am wrong but reserves only get 3 program rides? With  a protected no.7 it would be better to do it this way

British U23 with a certain average criteria so Lambert would not be at no.7

Currently supporters complain about rain offs, not having a home meeting every week and losing the enthusiasm to go to home matches,, let alone never going to away matches.

A shortened season in the summer might answer these issues and give a consistent and reliable product.

Doesn’t the Polish Extraliga operate like this?

It could also be supported by the CL and the NL operating a slightly longer season, say May to September, to draw in PL supporters.

Out of interest, how many matches have you been to this season, Grachan?

2 hours ago, paulboy said:

There's a lot of sense to that, got to be better than the current situation with loads of blank dates mid summer then lots of action on the cold/dark/wet nights! Loads of logistical problems though.

Exactly.

28 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Is it better value? 

What if they say "less is more so let's call it £25 to watch speedway" as it's only a dozen meetings people will pay it

Or keep it £18 to watch 13 heats instead meaning less races, less cost for riders, less cost for promoters etc.  

Also with 13 heats do correct me if I am wrong but reserves only get 3 program rides? With  a protected no.7 it would be better to do it this way

British U23 with a certain average criteria so Lambert would not be at no.7

Yes.

17 quid to get in.

17/13 = £1.31 per race

17/15 = £1.13 per race.

So it's better value by 18p per race.

The one thing with the old 13 race format, though, I'll admit, is it gives you plenty of 9 point riders - so people think the league is stronger even though it isn't.

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Out of interest, how many matches have you been to this season, Grachan?

About 3 I think. But I live more than 30 miles from the track, have a 1 year old daughter, and I have to work in London on Fridays. So I tend to only go to Monday meetings.

Edited by Grachan