British Speedway Forum
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2023

17 hours ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Is the reason for the meetings taking too long to run the number of restarts caused by accidents etc. Is Mildenhall  a difficult track to race on for novice riders who quite often crash out and cause injury and fence repairs which cause delays.

For me this is the reason I stopped going having been a fairly regular supporter since 1992. I would return if they could run a meeting in a decent time.  
I know many more who feel the same.  This isn’t knocking the commitment of the promotion and the many volunteers but until this problem is addressed I won’t return.  
I also think the low points limit which made teams sign 3 pointers who possibly were not ready for league action didn’t help. 

• Like 1

With a fortnight to go for teams to make a final declaration to run in 2023, what do we think are the chances of Mildenhall coming to the table?

Are things looking more financially viable?   I think the gofundme has raised £5k of a £15k target.

Can things be negotiated with landlords to give more time to prepare a track less dangerous than in 2022?

What kind of a team can be put together?  Presume the rider shortage is less severe in the south?

On 1/1/2023 at 11:54 PM, PotteringAround said:

With a fortnight to go for teams to make a final declaration to run in 2023, what do we think are the chances of Mildenhall coming to the table?

Are things looking more financially viable?   I think the gofundme has raised £5k of a £15k target.

Can things be negotiated with landlords to give more time to prepare a track less dangerous than in 2022?

What kind of a team can be put together?  Presume the rider shortage is less severe in the south?

Lets keep everything crossed that Mildenhall can be a part of the NDL this coming season.
Ryan Kinsley, Arran Butcher, Ben Trigger along with some of the 2022 line-up, would be a good side.  

Surely the next move "should be" to arrange the Fen Tigers home fixtures around the stock car fixtures to give plenty of time for "ideal" track preparation.

This could also incorporate practice/training sections if planed well in advance.

Good luck to better times this season then the last few, the Fen Tigers have a rich history of unearthing speedway talent, it would be great to see another Mike Lee, Melvyn Taylor or Carl Blackbird emerge from the Fens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Mildenhall confirmed as going to the tapes in 2023

May I ask where that has been confirmed please? There is nothing on the Mildenhall web site yet? If its true, then its great news!

Edited by Bunce
Spelling mistake

4 minutes ago, Bunce said:

May I ask where that has been confirmed please? There is nothing on the Mildenhall web site yet? If its true, then its great news!

Mildenhall Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/MildenhallSpeedwayClub

Edited by StevePark

Fen Tigers to Roar again in '23

The news that all Speedway fans in Suffolk and indeed further afield have been waiting for is out - the Mildenhall DJS Fen Tigers, proudly sponsored by Manchetts Rescue and Recovery, will race in the 2023 National Development League [NDL].

The West Row-based club’s future had looked in doubt after a significant drop in their crowds during a difficult 2022 campaign and increased running costs in the context of the Cost of Living crisis. But the club, formed back in 1975 has always attracted fantastic, devoted support and none so more so then the incredible efforts of a Group of its most loyal fans, led by Emma & Jeremy Reader and Carol & Tim Darling stepping forward to create a GoFundMe page and running a range of money-raising events that have succeeded in bringing in considerable financial support for the club.

Then with two private sponsors (remaining unnamed at their request) coming forward over the Christmas / New Year period, the cash needed target to run this coming season was all but reached. All that was then required was to reach a successful agreement with the stadium owners to run Speedway there in 2023. This has now thankfully been achieved and the club can again move forward.

The owners of the Speedway club released the following joint statement -

" We are overwhelmed by the support received both financially from supporters and that provided by Emma, Jeremy, Carol and Tim. Their efforts and their support of us and the club have relit our fuse to push forward with Mildenhall Speedway and we are extremely grateful to them.  

“Speedway is secured for 2023 but this can only be the start, we will be working closely with the supporters group during the coming year on events, raising the profile of the club and fund raising initiatives to ensure we can continue into 2024 and get closer to the 50th anniversary of this great family club (2025).Our biggest challenge is to increase the support at meetings back to pre-COVID figures of over 400 a meeting, This will take a big effort and we hope supporters will back us in this and spread a positive word about Mildenhall Speedway.

“We will share financial information with the supporters group as the season progresses and hopefully if we can achieve a profit that money will go directly towards the 2024 season.”

Next on the agenda for the 2021 NDL champions, who finished runners up last season, coming close to defending their title is again to gather together a successful on-track group of riders, as the club owners went on:

“Our next job is to get the best possible team together to represent Mildenhall Speedway in 2023 in the NDL; and we will let you know rider news as we have it. We would like to thank you for your patience over what has been a difficult time for everyone connected to the club and once again say thank you to everyone who has stepped forward to help the club".

• Like 3

Alfie Bowtell is a Fen Tiger again!

Returing to the Mildenhall DJS Fen Tigers, proudly sponsored by Manchetts Rescue and Recovery, for the first time since 2017 is our new Number One for 2023 ALFIE BOWTELL

Bowtell had a sensational 2022 season finishing second in the NDL averages (behind Max Clegg) on 10.67, whilst securing a 4.39 average with his Championship team, Plymouth. This season Alfie will be riding for Birmingham as well as the Fen Tigers and we couldn't be happier to welcome him to back to Mildenhall! 

#TigerPride

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did hear at the end of the season that Edwards wouldn't be back so they needed a decent number 1 to replace him.

WOW!!!

The reaction to Alfie was more positive than we could ever have imagined. Thank you. 

So much so we would like to introduce his partner at the top of the team and the new Mildenhall DJS Fen Tigers, proudly sponsored by Manchetts Rescue and Recovery, Captain for 2023.

He was brilliant on and off the track when guesting for us last season and is in our opinion the most exciting rider in the league.

Coming in on a 7.27 average it's a massive Fen Tiger welcome to LEE COMPLIN