British Speedway Forum
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2023

I'm sure those who were there yesterday are right that the track was blameless on this occasion but if the stats earlier in the thread are accurate about numbers of falls, injuries and time taken for meetings then the authorities need to be working with the club at the very least if they aren't already. 

Mildenhall is my second nearest track and having a small daughter for whom evening meetings aren't really practical a Sunday afternoon visit to West Row at some point appeals, but not if its going to take three hours and riders are getting carted away every week.

12 hours ago, adz_mft said:

So there's been no falls from anyone at any of those tracks?

There were the same amount of exclusions for falls at Oxford in their last meeting and 1 less today than at Plymouths last meeting. 

Last Oxford Chargers meeting: 1 FX (Foord) and two falls that did not result in races being stopped (Simpson and Spencer)

Yesterday at Mildenhall 5 exclusions due to falls: Halder (twice), Roynon, King, Watts.

Five does not equal one!

The problem with Mildenhall has always been when its prepared grippy to start with. Theres no room or run off for any error when riders are caught out (as Halder found to his peril) then the track goes slick so riders just wash across the top (as Morley/Roynon found out). The home riders normally know more of what to expect, away sides face the lottery. 

Falls happen at this level, injuries will occur at any track but Mildenhall does seem to have more riders hurt than other venues which has always been a worry. 

All issues aside. Im more concerned with how quick the crowds dropping this season. I would be gutted to lose the team ive been watching for 18 years, and would be another nail in british speedways coffin to lose another track.

Hope to see things pick back before its too late

Edited by Disasterpiece

The track was very good,..unfortunately two thirds of the riders were not good enough to be riding in a professional league..the gulf between the top riders and the rest was half a track behind them,,this produces very poor racing,,the fans are paying good money to watch rubbish drawn out meetings.The standard needs to be raised or speedway will continue to die as a professional sport in this country......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waco said:

The track was very good,..unfortunately two thirds of the riders were not good enough to be riding in a professional league..the gulf between the top riders and the rest was half a track behind them,,this produces very poor racing,,the fans are paying good money to watch rubbish drawn out meetings.The standard needs to be raised or speedway will continue to die as a professional sport in this country......

The questions raised there are is the NDL a professional league? The governing body certainly doesn't think so. The disparity between riders will always be there when teams can be built using riders who double up and are riding 2-3 times a week vs riders who ride twice a month.

The only way the standard will get raised now is for more double downers to drop back in from the CL, the journeymen have been pushed out/drifted away already. The youth setup is producing a few riders each year but not many and certainly not enough to fill the reserve slots each season. Most teams started the season tracking at least one 3.00 rider with full seasons experience under their belts. 

The NDL can survive if its viewed as a long game for developing riders (with the quick rising exceptions shooting through to higher leagues). You can't build teams across any league using 10 pointers and 3 pointers and not expect to see some strung out races. If you want a "closer" product then its cap the averages of the riders allowed in, if you want the NDL to be progression keep allowing the double uppers (but accept the costs). Unfortunately the league as a whole is trying to be too many things and if it carries on is in danger of no longer existing.

A glimpse of the future for the NDL is to look at the CL, littered with fading stars earning pay days for the final few years, when the mass retirements come the league will be in tatters, if the trickle of fading stars keep dropping back down to NDL it will become the same.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
added a bit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Last Oxford Chargers meeting: 1 FX (Foord) and two falls that did not result in races being stopped (Simpson and Spencer)

Yesterday at Mildenhall 5 exclusions due to falls: Halder (twice), Roynon, King, Watts.

Five does not equal one!

I was merely going by what the scorecard said on updates which was 4 falls and i mistook Jenkins ef for a f. My point was more to do with falls rather than exclusions anyway. Perhaps how i worded it was incorrect. 

I noticed on Sunday that there were Tractors on the Centre it’s the only track I’ve been to this season that that as happened, and I always thought that this is not allowed, Does anyone know if this is correct 

7 hours ago, Argos said:

I noticed on Sunday that there were Tractors on the Centre it’s the only track I’ve been to this season that that as happened, and I always thought that this is not allowed, Does anyone know if this is correct 

Ipswich also have the tractors on the centre green. 100% allowed 

1 hour ago, adz_mft said:

Ipswich also have the tractors on the centre green. 100% allowed 

Also at Oxford

The tractors at Ippo always seemed to me like a potential danger being so close to the back straight. 

• Like 1

So they're not allowed to get off their bikes to garden at the start, but they're allowed to keep a 5-10 tonne (clearly not a tractor expert lol) pointy metal object on the centre green... Very backwards indeed...

Although I'm not sure if that gardening rule still exists but you get my point...

• Like 1

See it says on the bspa site today on the match preview v the Kent royals that Luke muff was out with injury?? Has he been dropped as he was number 8 for Glasgow at Redcar tonight & had a 2 nd half run out 

Think Muff has been struggling with an injury for a while so maybe having a run out and see how it is rather than take the long trip down to a track  he doesn't ride very well? Sadly his stand in Jacob Fellows suffered a nasty double leg break so the injury crisis at Mildenhall continues.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think Muff has been struggling with an injury for a while so maybe having a run out and see how it is rather than take the long trip down to a track  he doesn't ride very well? Sadly his stand in Jacob Fellows suffered a nasty double leg break so the injury crisis at Mildenhall continues.

Strange that as he rides at Redcar most weeks, was booked in to ride at their amateur meeting on Saturday but ‘ slept in ‘ , the report says , and rode two races on the trot last night, so what injury do you think he’s struggling with ?