British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Will British Speedway Survive ?

9 minutes ago, MattK said:

No. It makes absolutely no sense.

What do kids like? Just Bieber, Fortnite and Supreme. What do you get when you go to speedway? AC/DC, scores written with pen and paper and Wulfsport.

The presentation of speedway is like something from the 1970s, the music is from the 1970s and the fashion is from the 1970s - therefore promote speedway to people who liked the 1970s - i.e. the over 50s.

This isn't a pop at old people. This is a valid marketing technique. How many new Ferrari's do you think Ferrari sell to the under 16s? I'd suggest zero. Yet last year they sold over 10,000 cars and had revenues of over 3.7 billion euros. How? Because they know their customer.

I don't think ANY of the Clubs I referred to are promoting to kids. They are looking to attract kids who then ask their parents to take them again. 

Can't blame them for trying but some will blame them for trying! 

10 minutes ago, MattK said:

No. It makes absolutely no sense.

What do kids like? Just Bieber, Fortnite and Supreme. What do you get when you go to speedway? AC/DC, scores written with pen and paper and Wulfsport.

The presentation of speedway is like something from the 1970s, the music is from the 1970s and the fashion is from the 1970s - therefore promote speedway to people who liked the 1970s - i.e. the over 50s.

This isn't a pop at old people. This is a valid marketing technique. How many new Ferrari's do you think Ferrari sell to the under 16s? I'd suggest zero. Yet last year they sold over 10,000 cars and had revenues of over 3.7 billion euros. How? Because they know their customer.

Yes, but young fans are needed to perpetuate the sport.

In the seventies as a 13 year old I was more interested in Pele, football, girls, flairs and cowboy boots, but I loved speedway as soon as I went and the interest has remained with me for 45 years.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MattK said:

Again, proof that speedway doesn't understand its target market. Why promote speedway to kids? It makes no sense.

It does if you get the kids hooked on it..

McDonalds do a 'reasonable job' of targeting kids so I presume it works!! :D

The issue UK Speedway has is that kids up to say 11 will  go along maybe under suffererence, or maybe they do like it so put some pressure on parents to take them..

However post 11, and on into the teens, why would you want to go somewhere your Dad and Granddad goes for a night out?

Dominoes and Crib in the interval maybe? :D

Since I would say 2000, there are now more people living who 'used to go to Speedway' than currently do attend..

Therefore targeting their return has to be easier than getting someone who hasn't a clue about the sport surely?

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Exactly the problem. Speedway is trying to please a dwindling hardcore. Trying to please 70% of 400 people then next year trying to please 70% of 350 people is no way to run a sustainable business.

If speedway is to have any successful future, it needs to consult with and tailor its product for those people it is not attracting to the stadium, not the shrinking hardcore it is. 

Do you think cricket came up with Twenty20 by consulting with the few hundred who bother with county cricket? 

Not sure where the standing around comes from. Think of it as a festival, you pick the bands you want to see, those you don't and after you have seen what you want to see then go home. No one's forcing anyone to stand around?! 

The starting point has got to be the target market. Who does speedway want to appeal to? And then create the experience from there. That's why Twenty20 is a success. That's why UFC is a success. It's also why horse racing has thrived..it has become a much more family friendly experience. 

That's why I put forward the multi sport weekend festival model, to appeal to the young family market. It's far from a personal wishlist of activities, because its not about me and its not about you either. It's about getting the sport a new and bigger audience to give it a fighting chance of survival. 

You certainly won't find many of the current promoters implementing the changes that you want. New blood is needed on both sides of the fence. Maybe the sport can rise from the ashes at the end of this crisis, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Don't promote it to kids, promote it to the parents as something to take the kids to. I never understand this thing about not running on an evening when there is school the next day. When I was at school my parents took me every week to Wimbledon which ran on a Monday evening and there were lots of other school age kids there. Why are today's families unable to do what families happily did in the 50's and 60's?

Because the roads are gridlocked and most tracks are in out of town locations.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I never understand this thing about not running on an evening when there is school the next day. When I was at school my parents took me every week to Wimbledon which ran on a Monday evening and there were lots of other school age kids there. Why are today's families unable to do what families happily did in the 50's and 60's?

Lots of reasons why.

The cost of living has meant a sharp rise in households of two working parents rather than the typical stay-at-home mums of the 50s/60s. It's up by 50% even on the 70s. People also have to commute further for work then ever before, lengthening the working day. The image of a typical family gathering round for 5pm teatime is a quaint one, but less common.

Also, the bulk of 1950s/60s speedway venues operated in heavily populated city centre locations with regular public transport links. There are no Wimbledons, Southamptons, New Cross, Norwich and the like any more. How many families can walk to their local speedway these days compared to the 50s and 60s?

Instead of grumbling why families don't come anymore. Make it more appealing and easier for them.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Yes, but young fans are needed to perpetuate the sport.

In the seventies as a 13 year old I was more interested in Pele, football, girls, flairs and cowboy boots, but I loved speedway as soon as I went and the interest has remained with me for 45 years.

How's that panned out this last decade or so for speedway though?

If you to appeal to young fans, which in and of itself isn't a bad approach, the whole way speedway is presented needs to be overhauled. Then in turn, you risk alienating your current customer base (who are largely over 50) because they don't like the style of music, presentation etc.

For me, it is obvious that speedway should be promoting itself to the over 50s.

14 minutes ago, MattK said:

How's that panned out this last decade or so for speedway though?

If you to appeal to young fans, which in and of itself isn't a bad approach, the whole way speedway is presented needs to be overhauled. Then in turn, you risk alienating your current customer base (who are largely over 50) because they don't like the style of music, presentation etc.

For me, it is obvious that speedway should be promoting itself to the over 50s.

Sadly I think you are right in some respects there but I do think that running on a weekend would make a difference my daughter (30 yrs old  and loves her s/way) can't go in the week as she is often at work till 8pm after a 5.30 am start .Week nights are more for the empty nesters and the early semi or fully retired  I do think if you want a family sport week nights are a non starter .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

You certainly won't find many of the current promoters implementing the changes that you want. New blood is needed on both sides of the fence. Maybe the sport can rise from the ashes at the end of this crisis, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sadly, I agree.

I don't have all the answers. But I definitely think the answers do not lie among the current stakeholders of the sport. Promoters, riders, fans cannot see the wood for the trees. Tinkering with doubling up and bonus points is utterly irrelevant to the wider public. The BSPA should get in some independent consultants to do a proper market analysis and business plan, be braced for some radical proposals and have the balls to implement them. Then again, Poole Pirates might change their name to Poole Pink Elephants.

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

time to look at the few who are promoting the sport properly and looking at new options; problem is how many of them will survive the cull that's about to be caused by the Covid-19 issues. In the case of one of them the IOW how do they survive no NDL next season.

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

time to look at the few who are promoting the sport properly and looking at new options; problem is how many of them will survive the cull that's about to be caused by the Covid-19 issues. In the case of one of them the IOW how do they survive no NDL next season.

There are some tough decisions that need to be made regarding the future of the NL. Will the current clubs that run two teams, still have the finances to do so. Scary times for all levels of the sport.

• Like 1

I understand the idea of marketing it at the over 50s but I suspect that will get nowhere - or certainly not very far. I have just joined the over 70s and been a spedway fan since birth - taken by my parents and not that interested until a hero - My Hero emerged at Norwich. Ove Fundin. THEN  I was interested in the racing and the results.That interest has lasted more than 60 years - althgough getting weaker as the "first away invariably wins" became ever more obvious ( and boring ).

Even I now find the dated and rough and ready watching environment to be unappetising, Rubbish low quality food & drink - but still expensive is all the fare offered .Add to that, the sad quality of the P.A. and interviews that might be interesting but you cannot hear if they are or not. At least they would fill in the overlong unneccssary time gap between races ( if they tuirned out to be interesting ). Promoters or club owners should try looking at it through the eyes of a new or regular supporter. "What do you think of that - be honest", little chance of hearing that request - as feedback if not dripping with enthusiasm is swatted away. As the racing has become less appealing and thrilling for me , the environment comes under more scrutiny!

Regardless of how much of a turn off it is to the over 50s - market it to a much younger family and teen audience sector. It will either turn away us old uns ( or IF the racing is better it will still pull us in grudingly -which does not matter if it does attract that younger group in decent numbers ). Even without Covid 19 attrition in the 60 plus ranks, they will not be there so much longer.

Re-structure it considerably and sell if diofferently to a new market that might ensure that domestic UK speedway does survive and even thrive! That younger market needs more than is on offer at the moment, as if you can get them in once, I fear many would not bother to return, given the state of what we see at the moment.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:50 AM, Jonny the spud said:

Riders are in the same position. Many have spent thousands preparing for the season  too. 

In the good old days, riders would just have got on with their day jobs, and survived

If and when this is all over, perhaps we all, riders in particular, can get back to basics

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I understand the idea of marketing it at the over 50s but I suspect that will get nowhere - or certainly not very far. I have just joined the over 70s and been a spedway fan since birth - taken by my parents and not that interested until a hero - My Hero emerged at Norwich. Ove Fundin. THEN  I was interested in the racing and the results.That interest has lasted more than 60 years - althgough getting weaker as the "first away invariably wins" became ever more obvious ( and boring ).

Even I now find the dated and rough and ready watching environment to be unappetising, Rubbish low quality food & drink - but still expensive is all the fare offered .Add to that, the sad quality of the P.A. and interviews that might be interesting but you cannot hear if they are or not. At least they would fill in the overlong unneccssary time gap between races ( if they tuirned out to be interesting ). Promoters or club owners should try looking at it through the eyes of a new or regular supporter. "What do you think of that - be honest", little chance of hearing that request - as feedback if not dripping with enthusiasm is swatted away. As the racing has become less appealing and thrilling for me , the environment comes under more scrutiny!

Regardless of how much of a turn off it is to the over 50s - market it to a much younger family and teen audience sector. It will either turn away us old uns ( or IF the racing is better it will still pull us in grudingly -which does not matter if it does attract that younger group in decent numbers ). Even without Covid 19 attrition in the 60 plus ranks, they will not be there so much longer.

Re-structure it considerably and sell if diofferently to a new market that might ensure that domestic UK speedway does survive and even thrive! That younger market needs more than is on offer at the moment, as if you can get them in once, I fear many would not bother to return, given the state of what we see at the moment.

Correctomundo...and exactly the sort of open-minded approach needed. The product has been utterly geared towards 50+ year olds for yonks and here we are. 

I think by general consensus Belle Vue Speedway currently has the strongest offering of all the venues in the UK at the moment. Good facilities, great track with excellent racing, city location in the top league. Yet, as I understand it, they are operating under break even levels using the outdated midweek speedway model. If Belle Vue can't cut it, what chance have other tracks got of a long-term future?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

There are some tough decisions that need to be made regarding the future of the NL. Will the current clubs that run two teams, still have the finances to do so. Scary times for all levels of the sport.

There may be lots of spaces in teams in the Premier and Championship if everyone doesnt come back from overseas, or prioritises Poland and Sweden, upon the return of the Sport, which might negate the need for two teams at those clubs who plan to run them...