British Speedway Forum
ch958

Jason Garrity

18 hours ago, ch958 said:

yeah, let em stick to rap music glorifying guns and gangs and shoot em up movies

what a mature well thought out response.  I'll keep it simple and realistic and point out that what happens in LA or anywhere else does not justify going into the home of an elderly disabled person, scaring the rubbish out of them and stealing their money.  Lets not reward those who do eh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lioness said:

what a mature well thought out response.  I'll keep it simple and realistic and point out that what happens in LA or anywhere else does not justify going into the home of an elderly disabled person, scaring the rubbish out of them and stealing their money.  Lets not reward those who do eh

Should he have been sentenced to death? You don't seem to want him to be able to earn an honest living, that's what I assume you mean by "reward"... what do you suggest he do?

• Like 2

I wasn't really following speedway much when Garity got put away, so I asked around last week at leicester and some folk explained what had happened and about his release. 

I actually spoke to ex promoter/team manager on Thursday about Garity just to see what he had to say about his attitude and personality etc. What I will say is I didn't hear one shred of positivity about the bloke. When he was riding apparently his so called 'friends' from the travelling community were entering the stadium without a ticket. They were in the pits and just generally causing abit of a trouble. They were eventually thrown out but apparently it caused a lot of tension between the rider and management. There were other things said but I'd rather not go into it. 

Now in my opinion this is a really tough subject, does the guy deserve a second chance in life? Probably he does. Does he deserve a chance in speedway? Not so sure. I don't know the guy and can only say what I have been told. I personally wouldn't go near him if I was a promoter/team manager. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

I wasn't really following speedway much when Garity got put away, so I asked around last week at leicester and some folk explained what had happened and about his release. 

I actually spoke to ex promoter/team manager on Thursday about Garity just to see what he had to say about his attitude and personality etc. What I will say is I didn't hear one shred of positivity about the bloke. When he was riding apparently his so called 'friends' from the travelling community were entering the stadium without a ticket. They were in the pits and just generally causing abit of a trouble. They were eventually thrown out but apparently it caused a lot of tension between the rider and management. There were other things said but I'd rather not go into it. 

Now in my opinion this is a really tough subject, does the guy deserve a second chance in life? Probably he does. Does he deserve a chance in speedway? Not so sure. I don't know the guy and can only say what I have been told. I personally wouldn't go near him if I was a promoter/team manager. 

But the head of British Speedway, Godfrey , says it’s all fine, welcome back Jason, ride on my track first , setting a great example to the sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

Garrity for all his sins (and there are many ) comes across as a very personable bloke (cheeky chappie and all that ) and was pretty well liked by the majority of riders but not all, guess that all depended on if you had a run in with him, the people who travelled with him I believe were his family and they were well known for not taking any guff from anyone and were known for causing a bit of trouble, I know there were some promoters/managers in the sport who just didn’t like him and it’s my opinion that those people stunted his progress in the sport despite his obvious talent on a bike by not giving him opportunities that other lesser talented riders seem to get, as I said previously if he doesn’t come back and make a go of it in speedway then I fear the worst for him and I can’t see any other opportunities for him to straighten his life out, does he deserve it ? Well no, speedway doesn’t owe him anything but he won’t be the first rider that the sport has kept out of prison and he won’t be the last, personally I don’t think he will be accepted back but if he is then I suppose we have to give him the benefit of doubt, really hope that he takes the opportunity and it doesn’t bite us in the ass, just to finish, I remember a meeting at Sheffield and after we finished we are in the changing rooms and garrity walked in having had a poor meeting, sat down and said “im going to have rob an off licence on the way home now” we all laughed but looking back who knows 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Garrity for all his sins (and there are many ) comes across as a very personable bloke (cheeky chappie and all that ) and was pretty well liked by the majority of riders but not all,

Not sure what that tells us

Apparently Fred West was a very likeable person. Charles Manson obviously had a magnetic personality that enabled him to attract and manipulate people. The criminal world is full of such people. And the world is full of charming people who manage to manipulate and rob the elderly.....

And there is one problem with speedway. It has a large elderly fan base. Would it really be acceptable to have him in the spotlght and expect older generations to pay out money to watch him ? How would it come over if you expected a large amount of females to pay to watch entertainment from a wife beater or rapist at the extreme ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Garrity for all his sins (and there are many ) comes across as a very personable bloke (cheeky chappie and all that ) and was pretty well liked by the majority of riders but not all, guess that all depended on if you had a run in with him, the people who travelled with him I believe were his family and they were well known for not taking any guff from anyone and were known for causing a bit of trouble, I know there were some promoters/managers in the sport who just didn’t like him and it’s my opinion that those people stunted his progress in the sport despite his obvious talent on a bike by not giving him opportunities that other lesser talented riders seem to get, as I said previously if he doesn’t come back and make a go of it in speedway then I fear the worst for him and I can’t see any other opportunities for him to straighten his life out, does he deserve it ? Well no, speedway doesn’t owe him anything but he won’t be the first rider that the sport has kept out of prison and he won’t be the last, personally I don’t think he will be accepted back but if he is then I suppose we have to give him the benefit of doubt, really hope that he takes the opportunity and it doesn’t bite us in the ass, just to finish, I remember a meeting at Sheffield and after we finished we are in the changing rooms and garrity walked in having had a poor meeting, sat down and said “im going to have rob an off licence on the way home now” we all laughed but looking back who knows 

He could start off in Grass Track to prove himself and maybe a promoter may give him a chance at a later stage? Also, there is the Isle of Wight? 

52 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

......... Also, there is the Isle of Wight? 

Would that be Ryde or Parkhurst? B)

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

He could start off in Grass Track to prove himself and maybe a promoter may give him a chance at a later stage? Also, there is the Isle of Wight? 

I don’t think he needs to prove his ability, he is a naturally gifted rider and you never forget how to do it, it’s his off track antics he needs to prove 

15 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I don’t think he needs to prove his ability, he is a naturally gifted rider and you never forget how to do it, it’s his off track antics he needs to prove 

I did get that, I mean if he can prove he can behave in other aspects of the sport, it could open a door or two for him in Speedway?

He did wrong & was punished in a court of law. His sentence was to serve 7 years in prison, due to good behavior he was released early only serving half his time.

He now wants to return to normal life & that includes racing speedway.

I'm not Judge or Jury but I am willing to give him time & space to prove he can be a valid member of the speedway community

• Like 9

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Should he have been sentenced to death? You don't seem to want him to be able to earn an honest living, that's what I assume you mean by "reward"... what do you suggest he do?

As I have already said if you cared to read my posts, its horses for courses.  A school teacher can be struck off if convicted for behaviour outwith his school, you would not put a paedophile in charge of a nursery, Raith fans will tell you what happened when they tried to sign rapist David Goodwillie.   You commit a crime, you do the time.  As I have said I have no problem with him being a plumber although I wouldnt want him to be going into the homes of elderly or vulnerable.  He can be a labourer if he wants or any other number of jobs.  He has though forfeited his right to a sports position where he would benefit from sponsorship and get publicity and could possibly be seen by young or vulnerable as a 'hero' because he can ride a bike well.  He's not a hero, he is a violent thug who served time for what he did to an elderly disabled individual in their own home.  Let him get on with his life away from speedway - the sport does enough to make it less appealing to possible new supporters without the ruling body being stupid enough to see that allowing him back as a rider will give every nimby in the land extra ammunition to object to speedway and speedway tracks.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I seem to remember him being taken under Gary Havelock's wing when he was a real hot prospect at Coventry, I'm not quite sure where it all went wrong for him Speedway wise. Personally, I think as he's not currently banned from speedway, as some riders are, he should be free to ride, if he can find a club that'll have him, I think he maybe needs somebody to take him under their wing again or a chaperone type person a bit like Glenn Roeder with Gazza when he went to Italy, just to keep him on the straight and narrow. 

Many "famous" people have been to prison and then gone on to make a success of their lives, Gino di Campo also broke into somebody's home and look at him now. Sometimes prison is the wake up call for people to turn their lives around.

Personally, I'm with you and wouldn't touch him with a barge pole but that's just me, if I were a promoter at Plymouth or somewhere I may be thinking differently. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Lioness said:

As I have already said if you cared to read my posts, its horses for courses.  A school teacher can be struck off if convicted for behaviour outwith his school, you would not put a paedophile in charge of a nursery, Raith fans will tell you what happened when they tried to sign rapist David Goodwillie.   You commit a crime, you do the time.  As I have said I have no problem with him being a plumber although I wouldnt want him to be going into the homes of elderly or vulnerable.  He can be a labourer if he wants or any other number of jobs.  He has though forfeited his right to a sports position where he would benefit from sponsorship and get publicity and could possibly be seen by young or vulnerable as a 'hero' because he can ride a bike well.  He's not a hero, he is a violent thug who served time for what he did to an elderly disabled individual in their own home.  Let him get on with his life away from speedway - the sport does enough to make it less appealing to possible new supporters without the ruling body being stupid enough to see that allowing him back as a rider will give every nimby in the land extra ammunition to object to speedway and speedway tracks.  

I have read your post and you don't come across as a very forgiving person. The difference with paedo's becoming teachers is the small matter of the law of the land forbidding it, it's not a matter of opinion. It is not law that burglars can't become speedway riders... or anything else for that matter the only thing he has forfeited is his liberty for a few years and his reputation. 

There are many people that have turned their lives around and gone on to become inspirational "heroes"... Ant Middleton served time and now does motivational speaking tours. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I seem to remember him being taken under Gary Havelock's wing when he was a real hot prospect at Coventry, I'm not quite sure where it all went wrong for him Speedway wise. Personally, I think as he's not currently banned from speedway, as some riders are, he should be free to ride, if he can find a club that'll have him, I think he maybe needs somebody to take him under their wing again or a chaperone type person a bit like Glenn Roeder with Gazza when he went to Italy, just to keep him on the straight and narrow. 

Many "famous" people have been to prison and then gone on to make a success of their lives, Gino di Campo also broke into somebody's home and look at him now. Sometimes prison is the wake up call for people to turn their lives around.

Personally, I'm with you and wouldn't touch him with a barge pole but that's just me, if I were a promoter at Plymouth or somewhere I may be thinking differently. 

That piece made me smile, Havelock had difficulty managing his own life never mind anyone else's.:)

• Haha 2