British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Fan/rider interaction

4 hours ago, Haza said:

Not sure what’s that’s got to do with anyone to be honest .

Thought not .....

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Thought not .....

Thought not what ??? 

Edited by Haza

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Not quite the same when they are forced to do it! They should want to do it. Bit like telling your child to say hello to someone when they don't want to.

I don't care if it's the same or not they should do it. At Leicester the winning rider does a victory lap with a flag but at Coventry most of them just headed back to the pits, which gives the impression they don't give a monkeys about the fans. 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 11:30 AM, Gemini said:

Absolutely hate it when riders go straight back to the pits. When Martin Rogers was promoter at Leicester he used to stand at the pits gate and keep it closed until they had done another lap and acknowledged the crowd. 

Yes I agree with the first point. Home riders especially should be told to do a lap. Preferably without some boke waffling along constantly on the PA: yes we can see what's happening thanks!

On the second point, if my memory serves me right, the late Craig Hodgson won his first race at the EoES during Rogers' tenure and Rogers stood at the pits gate (or rushed out) and indicated that Craig wasn't coming in to the pits and to jog on for an extra lap :)

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gemini said:

I don't care if it's the same or not they should do it. At Leicester the winning rider does a victory lap with a flag but at Coventry most of them just headed back to the pits, which gives the impression they don't give a monkeys about the fans. 

I always found that at Coventry most fan interaction happened when riders went into the pits as they had to go along a stretch of the greyhound track. You'd see a lot of hand-slapping going on there between riders and fans and I was always a bit envious of that little stretch into the pits at Coventry.

• Like 1

Yet they were ignoring the majority of fans who were in the grandstand and the few of us who braved sitting/standing on the 3rd/4th bend, in spite of. Peter York trying to encourage them to go round. Really used to irritate me. :D

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

On the second point, if my memory serves me right, the late Craig Hodgson won his first race at the EoES during Rogers tenure and Rogers stood at the pits gate (or rushed out) and indicated that Craig wasn't coming in to the pits and to jog on for an extra lap :)

Yes that sounds like something Martin would do. :D Nice to have a promoter that thinks about the paying fans.

10 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Yes that sounds like something Martin would do. :D Nice to have a promoter that thinks about the paying fans.

Think that we've been quite lucky in that respect at Peterborough. Most have tried their best even if they missed the target. Only real gripe that had to go being Horton's (the Mick version) introduction of the National Anthem. What a pile that was ;)

Edited by Crump99
  • Haha 1

I remember that.  I don't think the idea lasted long though. :D

5 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Think that we've been quite lucky in that respect at Peterborough. Most have tried their best even if they missed the target. Only real gripe that had to go being Horton's (the Mick version) introduction of the National Anthem. What a pile that was ;)

That was actually my decision, I like to hear the Anthem at sporting events, but it seems I was in a minority!

If my memory serves me correctly, it was the Americans in the mid seventies that introduced the extra lap of wheelies and fist pumping/ waving to the crowd, after a victory  

I don’t recall too much more other than a gentle, almost sheepish wave to the crowd after a win by a home rider at Swindon,  I certainly can’t remember a victory lap. Once prior the arrival on our shores of messrs Penhall, the Moran brothers, Gresham and Autrey, things changed and fan interaction definitely increased. . 

• Like 1

At Eastbourne we have special 5/1 home heat win music and normally the 2 riders do a lap more often than not with a double wheelie, always goes down well with the home fans.

• Like 1

I can understand riders not doing a lap of honour after a 3-3 (as no real heat adv) but if they didn't do it after getting a 5-1 then fans have a right to be annoyed!

For me it all depends on the score.

There are right & wrong times to be exuberant. 

If a team is 20 points down at home & their rider celebrates a heat win it just shows self importance to me.

Teams leading meeting's should be entertaining the fans. If the racing itself is poor this alone can get a crowd "up for it" and helps bring them back the following week. 

The fans have to feel as though they're apart of the team and it's up to rider's to deliver that inclusion. 

its basically showmanship, and making it more than just four riders racing around, going back to pits and then rinse and repeat.