British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

Just to summarise and do correct me if I'm missing something. A consortium had put together a business plan to bring speedway back to Somerset. A gentleman then emailed and harassed the council members stating he owned completely the Somerset rebels and name dropped a lot of people involved with speedway saying he had their backing. North Somerset council don't do any investigation into these claims but throw out the plans from this Shale ltd ???

25 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

Just to summarise and do correct me if I'm missing something. A consortium had put together a business plan to bring speedway back to Somerset. A gentleman then emailed and harassed the council members stating he owned completely the Somerset rebels and name dropped a lot of people involved with speedway saying he had their backing. North Somerset council don't do any investigation into these claims but throw out the plans from this Shale ltd ???

That seems to be the long and short of it, yep. Clear as mud eh?

1 hour ago, Cast1rn said:

I'd like to see some more detail about the legitimacy of this claim. 

Given the size of the proposal, excluding the speedway element, I find it unlikely that two Councillors would have delegated authority to dismiss such a proposal without further reference to a designated Committee or without Legal oversight of the process

• Like 2

Unfortunately this is atypical of the power some Councillors hold in some Areas. 

Typically they will pass anything for a bung equally block anything for a nod and a wink. 

This is the territory of Rees Mogg and such types. So not wholly surprising. 

A massive shame if true. 

As for the speedway names implicated, one name wouldn't surprise me if being spiteful and envious and it wouldn't be Rosco or Godfrey. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Unfortunately this is atypical of the power some Councillors hold in some Areas. 

Typically they will pass anything for a bung equally block anything for a nod and a wink. 

This is the territory of Rees Mogg and such types. So not wholly surprising. 

Frankly that is just nonsense. There are controls and oversights in place to prevent such things. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

Frankly that is just nonsense. There are controls and oversights in place to prevent such things. 

There are, but the article suggests that the Group have pulled out before seeking to appeal after losing an investor and deciding not to proceed. 

At Planning stages one or two dissenting voices can certainly obstruct or delay applications if the chairperson decides they have a case. 

In this case the committee deciding wouldn't have a clue about speedway but the alleged objections raised would give ammunition to the ney says to stop the application. 

As an ex Councillor I've seen it happen many times. 

19 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

A quick search of North Somerset planning site reveals an application for speedway was submitted and refused ...

..in 1972. Nothing more recent.

Like you I think this is mostly fiction.

• Like 3

Who is Brian White?

30 minutes ago, HGould said:

There are, but the article suggests that the Group have pulled out before seeking to appeal after losing an investor and deciding not to proceed. 

At Planning stages one or two dissenting voices can certainly obstruct or delay applications if the chairperson decides they have a case. 

In this case the committee deciding wouldn't have a clue about speedway but the alleged objections raised would give ammunition to the ney says to stop the application. 

As an ex Councillor I've seen it happen many times. 

As an ex Councillor who saw fraud happening did you report it?

I accept that objections to a planning application may be given weight that is not justified, but that is in the public domain. 

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

Who is Brian White?

Former promoter at Weymouth ??

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Former promoter at Weymouth ??

Dunno, I've never heard of him

It would be a shame if this project has hit the buffers as like others I was keen to see a return to speedway in the area.

I also have no idea who’s involved and who said or did what but something conflicts to the original statement that said this would be basic facilities that would gradually build up, just as many start up teams have….. a 25,000 people arena for major pop events would give the council far more cause for concern?