British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

Good news...good luck to them. Only visited the once and unfortunately the meeting was postponed due to rain but the track looked to be a good shape.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2022 at 9:54 AM, arnieg said:

Fingers crossed. The Facebook Post gives off a very positive feel of a  realistic and practical project. Do we know who's behind it?

Really!!!!!!! Noise & environmental tests in new year then HOPE to build a track within 7 months to hold 6 meetings.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2022 at 5:30 PM, Dickie Head said:

Believe former rider Greg Daniels is acting as spokesman. Good luck to them but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I;m with you

22 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wish them well. Finding a bit of land though is virtually impossible, as Edinburgh found out. It there’s land that can get planning, it will attract others with deeper pockets.

Probably out in the sticks, away from housing & development hence the need for noise tests.

PS, I do not know where the 2 areas earmarked are but presume further northwards.

12 hours ago, Najjer said:

Ever the optimist. Your comment has been really informative and helpful to the discussion

But honest and realistic.

• Like 2

I wish those looking for a new home for speedway in the Somerset area every success in their endeavours. But being realistic we know that every site “discovered: will have others clambering over it to build unites/houses and are likely to outbid a speedway promotion. 

it would be nice/great to be proved wrong and a team in Somerset be revived after the previous Somerset promotion grabbed the £££ when they got the opportunity,

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I wish those looking for a new home for speedway in the Somerset area every success in their endeavours. But being realistic we know that every site “discovered: will have others clambering over it to build unites/houses and are likely to outbid a speedway promotion. 

it would be nice/great to be proved wrong and a team in Somerset be revived after the previous Somerset promotion grabbed the £££ when they got the opportunity,

Now it might never come to anything, but the Facebook post very much said it would not be a sole purpose speedway arena and could be used for a number of events. There are a couple of sites on the agenda so a certain amount of homework has gone into it and to see how viable that is.

The previous promotion of the speedway club were absolutely fantastic… until the final year or so and then into covid. A really sad and very abrupt end with various excuses given at the time other than “we had an offer we couldn’t refuse”

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Really!!!!!!! Noise & environmental tests in new year then HOPE to build a track within 7 months to hold 6 meetings.

I;m with you

Probably out in the sticks, away from housing & development hence the need for noise tests.

PS, I do not know where the 2 areas earmarked are but presume further northwards.

Would that not rule out the need for noise tests?

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Noise carries across lands/fields and may annoy, say farmers with animals. On the IOW I am informed that they are restricted to an 9.30pm end for racing for noise reasons, but there is a lady councellor who lives miles down the valley from the track who carefully monitors the noise after 9.30pm. A lot of promotions are monitored especially if there are people/organisations who can take advantage of the noise problems. 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Noise carries across lands/fields and may annoy, say farmers with animals. On the IOW I am informed that they are restricted to an 9.30pm end for racing for noise reasons, but there is a lady councellor who lives miles down the valley from the track who carefully monitors the noise after 9.30pm. A lot of promotions are monitored especially if there are people/organisations who can take advantage of the noise problems. 

When Kent ran at Central Park they got noise complaints weekly even on rain off fixtures and throughout the winter! 

I wish Greg and the consortium all the best with thier efforts, certainly no lack of funds or enthusiasm i just hope they don't get too carried away without some sensible planning. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Najjer said:

Now it might never come to anything, but the Facebook post very much said it would not be a sole purpose speedway arena and could be used for a number of events. There are a couple of sites on the agenda so a certain amount of homework has gone into it and to see how viable that is.

The previous promotion of the speedway club were absolutely fantastic… until the final year or so and then into covid. A really sad and very abrupt end with various excuses given at the time other than “we had an offer we couldn’t refuse”

Similar to when Leicester at Beaumont Leys started & had planning consent to be a multiple event area. What else is there, now, other than the speedway?

Seem to recall that when Exeter were trying to return I think  Racecourse,  there was in the area a home for retired firefighters. Hired top legal help,  noise tests carried out, not  detected at all at said home , 

I'm sure I know one of the sites & although a perfect venue it's a pain to get to!

Good luck to the consortium but I think any meetings in 2023 will be a tad to early.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Wish them well. Finding a bit of land though is virtually impossible, as Edinburgh found out. It there’s land that can get planning, it will attract others with deeper pockets.

Believe it or not Steve, that's been one of the easy parts if you know where to look!

10 hours ago, tyretrax said:

You would have to submit noise tests wherever you wished to build a new track. All part of the process!

On 12/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, HGould said:

Great news hopefully.

I've always thought that if they could move a couple of Junctions up the M5 towards Bristol and tap in to that huge conurbation it could be the making of them.

Fingers crossed.

Lets hope so!!

• Like 1