British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne v Glasgow CL 4/7/21

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Heat 15 highlights on the EB website.

What a load of rubbish. Endless blooming “gardening “ first from the rider in blue, then when he finished the rider in red started “gardening” Why does the ref allows this delaying of the start ? 

The coverage of the race was abysmal.... random clips cut together in some misguided attempt to make it look exciting. 

Still helps me to realise my days of ever attending a speedway meeting are over. Tedious .

they had to repack their gate back down as the tractor ripped up gates 1&3 to give the home track advantage leaving gates 2&4 bare they also did it after ht 10 and with the eagles having gates 1&3 four out of the last five races gating was so important can’t recall any clear  passes without riders making mistakes in the meeting after the first corner the glasgow manager did complain to the ref but was told the home team can do what they want with the track durning grading 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mac101 said:

they had to repack their gate back down as the tractor ripped up gates 1&3 to give the home track advantage leaving gates 2&4 bare they also did it after ht 10 and with the eagles having gates 1&3 four out of the last five races gating was so important can’t recall any clear  passes without riders making mistakes in the meeting after the first corner the glasgow manager did complain to the ref but was told the home team can do what they want with the track durning grading 

A tale as old as time.

9 hours ago, mac101 said:

Interesting that Glasgow accuse every team of doing this!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wish the person who does the Eastbourne Speedway weather forecasts did them for the BBC.

The Eagles weather guru was very much spot on with Sunday's forecast. It enabled the meeting to go ahead.

If you had looked at weather apps etc - and TV - you would have said OFF without a shadow of a doubt. But the Eagles forecaster narrows it down to Arlington itself - a real skill.

Also a pat on the back for the Eastbourne management for (a) having such a skilled person on tap (no doubt it costs but what an investment when the information is so accurate) and (b) being so transparent with the fans and publishing on the club website.

Thanks Eastbourne Eagles and means people can travel with confidence. I live close enough not to worry but a lot of fans come from much further afield.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Considering their Promoter the Late great Jimmy Beaton was probably the greatest exponent of that Art.:D;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Thats a worry , I hope we haven't borrowed the Monarchs book of excuses 

23 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Thats a worry , I hope we haven't borrowed the Monarchs book of excuses 

I’ve not finished making it yet, still things to add. So I hope not.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I wish the person who does the Eastbourne Speedway weather forecasts did them for the BBC.

The Eagles weather guru was very much spot on with Sunday's forecast. It enabled the meeting to go ahead.

If you had looked at weather apps etc - and TV - you would have said OFF without a shadow of a doubt. But the Eagles forecaster narrows it down to Arlington itself - a real skill.

Also a pat on the back for the Eastbourne management for (a) having such a skilled person on tap (no doubt it costs but what an investment when the information is so accurate) and (b) being so transparent with the fans and publishing on the club website.

Thanks Eastbourne Eagles and means people can travel with confidence. I live close enough not to worry but a lot of fans come from much further afield.

Totally agree, we drove down from Essex through wind, torrential rain in fact everything you don't  want for Speedway  but we kept going as we totally trust the Eastbourne weather guru.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's those little touches that matter to supporters. I remember going down one very wet day in 2019 when Somerset were there, never thought it would be on but it was and they were confident it would be.

Just purchased Tickets for Leicester on the 18th at Arlington to go with a few Leicester supporting friends.

I've seen that if you don't want to stop for Double Header v Cubs you can leave at set time and get a "reduction voucher" to reduce the price for next match you go to. £24 for double header or if you leave between 2 matches you get a £6 reduction voucher - difference between that match and just a Championship match. Another little touch, not unique; but it is very simple and the effort being made is as important than the offer sometimes. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, HGould said:

It's those little touches that matter to supporters. I remember going down one very wet day in 2019 when Somerset were there, never thought it would be on but it was and they were confident it would be.

Just purchased Tickets for Leicester on the 18th at Arlington to go with a few Leicester supporting friends.

I've seen that if you don't want to stop for Double Header v Cubs you can leave at set time and get a "reduction voucher" to reduce the price for next match you go to. £24 for double header or if you leave between 2 matches you get a £6 reduction voucher - difference between that match and just a Championship match. Another little touch, not unique; but it is very simple and the effort being made is as important than the offer sometimes. 

A classic example of where the team down there have a first thought of "How can I make it happen?" Rather than "We can't do that"..

Some tracks have had double headers with a "Well that's just the way it is" attitude when getting feedback from a fair few who were not willing to pay the extra to watch an NDL match..

"We have to run the NDL meeting last so what can we do?"..

Well Eastbourne show what can be done when you listen to your customers and remove barriers..

• Like 1

Eastbourne have their critics regarding the difficult track etc however they're one of the most forward-thinking promotions out there.  When Connor Dugard started running things when they dropped to the NDL they really embraced social media and generally engaged with younger fans to build the fanbase, with a bigger sense of community, and this has been carried on by the current promotion, always looking to innovate.  Couple that with Kevin Coombes' excellent mic-work and mainly modern music, the whole operation has a good feel about it.

No disrespect to the late great Bob Dugard and Jon Cook, but they were slightly more traditional in their approach.  Anyone who visits Arlington regularly would see the perception of speedway as the preserve of the ancient fan armed with a flask and enamel badges changed, as there's always plenty of youngsters at the track.

As regards the Glasgow match, another good turn out given the concerns about the weather, and the pocket of Glasgow fans on the 2nd bend backed their team well.  The downpour just before heat 1 made the track tricky and the Tigers were much better out the gate.  After heat 9, I couldn't see the Eagles turning round an 8 point deficit to be fair but they did and all credit to them.  Some sour grapes by some on the thread I think, but the Tigers just faded a bit in the last few heats as the pressure was turned up.  The score would have probably been closer had Bailey got off the track when the Eagles were on a 5-1 (of course that turned into a 3-3, the law of sod), however these things happen.

Yes, the Lawson move on Ostergaard in Heat 15 was hard, but certainly not dirty and Tom did well to hold off Craig Cook.

Another good, feisty atmosphere (was commented on by Sam Masters when Edinburgh visited) and overall good meeting with an exciting end.

If Kennett can get sorted then think the Eagles will be there or thereabouts come play off time, would make Leicester favourites given the Anderson signing, with Glasgow, Poole, Edinburgh and Scunthorpe a threat too.

• Like 2

The appointment of Lee Kilby seems to have taken things to a new level down there. 

Lee did some good work at Brummies whilst running Swindon.