British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pirates on tour. Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle.6/7/8/8/21

Before the meeting, I did think we should win this one. However, an excellent choice of guests for Berwick, while Pooles failed, swung this meeting around.

Im  more annoyed that this one got away with poor management. We had the firepower to win, but Havvy bungled it. Its not the first time Hume has not been given the  extra rides his form on the night deserves.

However, we still got an away point. Only at Glasgow have we not scored anything away from home. Winning at home and getting at least a point for our aways will keep us at the right end of the table. I certainly dont expect Poole to win every meeting. Just disappointed at the way we lost this one.

I hope the win gives you Bandits fans something to be pleased about. 

Edited by BobC

Well……it was always gonna be a tough night at the races. However,  somehow with the help of guests, Berwick got over the line and won! Thought Andersen and Brennan were brillant. What a signing Kasper has turned out to be. Poole played their part in a fantastic meeting, was good to see their fans travel up. I’d be disappointed at the reluctance to utilise Hume(impressive round Berwick) and having seen him always score well, thought Worrall was poor last night by his normal standard. Fantastic night at the speedway, reading some comments on here theres criticism as always about certain aspects of SFP. To those and those before them, ask yourself this, is every meeting you attend wherever that may be, a Wroclaw filled passing fest? I’ll tell you what having witnessed speedway from most U.K. tracks, I know that not every race from every track is a classic. Modern speedway, slick is the new grip

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobC said:

Before the meeting, I did think we should win this one. However, an excellent choice of guests for Berwick, while Pooles failed, swung this meeting around.

Im  more annoyed that this one got away with poor management. We had the firepower to win, but Havvy bungled it. Its not the first time Hume has not been given the  extra rides his form on the night deserves.

However, we still got an away point. Only at Glasgow have we not scored anything away from home. Winning at home and getting at least a point for our aways will keep us at the right end of the table. I certainly dont expect Poole to win every meeting. Just disappointed at the way we lost this one.

No need to be patronising Bob, that's Steve's job. 

With all the experience in the Poole set up, you'd have thought that someone would have twigged that Havvy was continuously derided by Coventry supporters for his poor team management and utilisation of riders. 

Looks like you might miss the worst of the weather today good luck. Tell Steve he needs to man up if he can't cope with the weather :D

1 minute ago, jrs said:

No need to be patronising Bob, that's Steve's job. 

I wasnt being patronising in the slightest.

Agree, not a fan of Havvy in any way. He always thought he was better than he actually was/is.

I hope the Bandits can use this result as a positive.

14 minutes ago, BobC said:

Bob were you happy with the point though generally? or are you a bit deflated.! A pattern that i have noticed Bob is that Danyon generally starts slowly but rapidly improves as the meeting develops maybe he takes a while to get his set up right..? If he could get his heat 2 sorted out he would be scoring even heavier still more to come from him though.He has been superb so far,  even more encouraging is he doing it without having the NL to fall back on i really thought a lack of lap time might hinder him but it hasn’t.

1 minute ago, JanAndersen said:

I’m likely being being thick but how was King allowed to come into ht14?

Because Poole were 6 points behind and for about the last 3 to 4 years you've been allowed to use a tactical when 6 points down in Heats 5 to 14 (not including heat 8)

57 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Case in point. There’s a fine line between a confident mentality and an arrogant one.

Belle Vue for me are the biggest club in speedway the history of there club is there to be seen.      1972 Belle Vue——-   1983.Cradley Heath are the greatest two club sides i have ever seen.Poole yes have been the latest power house and they are the team everyone wants to beat.But  don’t forget it has never always been like that they did have some really average sides in the 1970’s.

Edited by Sidney the robin

7 minutes ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Because Poole were 6 points behind and for about the last 3 to 4 years you've been allowed to use a tactical when 6 points down in Heats 5 to 14 (not including heat 8)

I had in my head it was eight. Havvy maybe not so daft after all. 

Edited by JanAndersen

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So on we go to Newcastle and fingers crossed that today’s racing goes ahead. The weather has been dreadful to be honest. Looking forward to getting back to the warmth of the south. B)

The sooner we get our 1-7 the better 3 points from 2 guests isn’t good enough. 

Entitlement? Poole are the biggest club in British speedway for a reason. Even now when we are in the Championship we are still the biggest club. No one has got near us in the last 20 years and that’s why clubs get excited when Poole come to town and when they manage to beat us. Pirates rarely have bad teams and in sport that’s the way it works. 

There’s no entitlement. We have to earn our wins like any other team. The difference is the club is run to win trophies and titles, not make up the numbers and hope for the occasional success. We should have won last night and we should win today if it’s on. That’s club mentality. No being second best.

Steve, I don't think the weather is any better down here atm!!

17 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Bob were you happy with the point though generally? or are you a bit deflated.! A pattern that i have noticed Bob is that Danyon generally starts slowly but rapidly improves as the meeting develops maybe he takes a while to get his set up right..? If he could get his heat 2 sorted out he would be scoring even heavier still more to come from him though.He has been superb so far,  even more encouraging is he doing it without having the NL to fall back on i really thought a lack of lap time might hinder him but it hasn’t.

A point is better than nothing, but still feel its points dropped rather than a point gained.

Ive noticed that with Danyon. We all said the same thing about no NL to fall back on. Good to see he getting a booking or two with Sheffield.

He is very popular with the fans. Always happy and smiling, ready to chat and gives a good interview when on the mic. Already looking at next season, I genuinely hope hes is back.

12 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I had in my head it was eight. Havvy maybe not so daft after all. 

Yes I thought it was 8 too until Leicester used a TS when 6 down at Poole a week or so ago! 

Edited by lisa-colette

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Yes I thought it was 8 too until Leicester used a TS when 6 done at Poole a week or so ago! 

I get why it’s in place but six points seems too tight to allow tactical rides. 

5 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

I get why it’s in place but six points seems too tight to allow tactical rides. 

I guess but at worse/best depends which team you are on/supporting it would go down to 2 points. You just have to make sure you hit back in the next heat! When it was double points and used as soon as 10 down, at most it would go down to is 3. So not too much difference! 

Edit- home teams shouldn't be allowed to use a TS though!

Edited by lisa-colette