Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

GP round 7 Malilla Sweden Saturday August 14th live on BT Sport

10 minutes ago, Falubaz said:

Anything that will give Aussie Woffinden an upper hand is good to you

Sober up before making stupid comments.

24 minutes ago, Shrimmy said:

Oh dear you been on the tyskie again 

What was Tai on when he tatooed the Australian Flag on his body? According to you he did that coz (he loves UK and not feeling an Aussie) and not he thought he was trained by british speedway trainers? And he felt he was British not because it was easy way to get to Polish Ekstraliga...

WOFFINDEN IS AS BRITISH AS DOYLE IS

Edited by Falubaz

15 hours ago, Col said:

Wonder if that will hit the confidence of Laguta, looked like he was going to be leading the series comfortably at the end of the night, at that stage.

His confidence will be flying high after the 6 home GP's he's got to come... oh, hang on a minute, there's only 1 GP in Russia, how can this be? :lol:

21 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Sober up before making stupid comments.

Ignore him with a bit of luck he might go away 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Falubaz said:

I understand you saw GPs when Woffinden was winning every year flawed? Or when Pedersen was winning 6 times? Or maybe Hancock? Did you just stop watching speedway back then?

You are so sensitive about your Polish lads, chill the idiot out you absolute melt. I couldn't care less if Zmarzlik was from Outer Mongolia, I don't want to see somebody winning it two, three, four years on the trot. Rickardsson bored me for that very reason. 

So off you trot, there's a good lad/lass.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You are so sensitive about your Polish lads, chill the idiot out you absolute melt. I couldn't care less if Zmarzlik was from Outer Mongolia, I don't want to see somebody winning it two, three, four years on the trot. Rickardsson bored me for that very reason. 

So off you trot, there's a good lad/lass.

I'm old school and preferred the one off final, and rounds such as commonwealth, overseas finals etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noggin said:

I'm old school and preferred the one off final, and rounds such as commonwealth, overseas finals etc.

Me too .it makes you wonder how the riders of today would handle the pressure 5 rides no semi s no final the one with the most points wins  basically no get out of jail cards 

I know we all have our own preferences, but I am amazed at how people ignore the flaws in there own preferred World Championship system. Yes, EVERY system has bad flaws, but it just depends where we choose to look.

The old World Final system was the most flawed of all, and most of the time, was NEVER designed to qualify the 16 best riders in the world. That - obviously - is the biggest flaw of all.

Different riders competed in very different numbers of meetings and rides to reach the World Final, based on their nationality.

The title could be lost because of ONE poor race, and engine failure, or a fall.

It was possible to win the World Championship without ever winning a race.

The GP system is fairer for everyone (everybody has the same number of meetings, and rides against the same opponents), and my personal favourite was the points system used before the current one. However, that was badly flawed too, the biggest of which was the fact that the winner of an individual GP was not usually the highest scorer on the night! As has been said, how can the winner of a GP lose ground on those who finished behind him?

It was also possible (and please don't argue this, as I have repeatedly proven this) for a rider to win every GP, yet not finish in the Top 8 at the end of the year! This is largely because of my first point.

While the current system seems to be pissing off everybody, let's look at it like this. The winner of the GP gets the most points. The second place man receives the second highest points, and so on.

The problem is that people are looking at things the wrong way...

With the old World Final system, the sole idea was to qualify from one round to the next, and it was quite possible for riders to scrape through, and then put on a good display next round. That is EXACTLY what the current system is like. The difference is that each GP basically comprises two rounds; a qualifying round, and a finals. The opening 20 heats is nothing more than a qualifying round for the finals (semi-finals and final). It doesn't matter whether you get a 15 point max, or scrape through as the lowest qualifier, the main thing is that you qualified for the next round. This is just the same as qualifying from the British Final to the British-Nordic Final, or the Commonwealth Final to the Inter-Continental Final. You qualify, and then you all start the next round from scratch; what you did the previous round matters not.

So, why was that okay then, but not now?

• Like 2

Bloody hell chunky how long did it take you write all that lol

I just think a  final meeting with the so called 16 best riders 20 heats the one with the most points wins would be epic now 

5 rides pressure on in every race 

the points system this year as spoilt it for me 

but Steve mate that’s just my opinion 

I personally preferred the old knockout GP system starting with 24 riders and then cutting them down to a final 4. The racing was really cut throat in those days. 

Obviously the riders didn't like that because they could be going home after 2 rides.

So we have to put up with a flawed system whichever one it is

10 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Bloody hell chunky how long did it take you write all that lol

I just think a  final meeting with the so called 16 best riders 20 heats the one with the most points wins would be epic now 

5 rides pressure on in every race 

the points system this year as spoilt it for me 

but Steve mate that’s just my opinion 

Didn't take long! I've always had my opinions on formats, and I've always been interested in stats!

The biggest problem this year is that two riders are running away with it, and the bottom few are really being outclassed. Sometimes that happens, as it's always done.

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

So we have to put up with a flawed system whichever one it is

Exactly. There is no perfect system, and there never will be...

Edited by chunky

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

Exactly. There is no perfect system, and there never will be...

The perfect system would be to do away with heat points altogether... but as that's so ingrained into speedway it's unlikely to happen, that was another positive to the knock out system, 2 lasts or thirds and you were out.

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

The perfect system would be to do away with heat points altogether... but as that's so ingrained into speedway it's unlikely to happen, that was another positive to the knock out system, 2 lasts or thirds and you were out.

It's bad enough travelling around the world for five minutes of action; who the hell would want to do it for TWO minutes?

Everyone is so concerned about "being fair" to the fans, but what about being fair to participants?

3 hours ago, r8gdp said:

Me too .it makes you wonder how the riders of today would handle the pressure 5 rides no semi s no final the one with the most points wins  basically no get out of jail cards 

Was more intense and exciting and you still had the spoilers to upset the top guys. I have a large collection of old vhs and dvds, usually only rewatch the old world finals or the very early gps.

• Like 1