British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

33 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Please don’t include me in your not interested in speedway group. I am very interested in speedway but just found it more enjoyable in the 60’s and 70’s. I am not alone in holding this view.

I have said before that I liked the World Finals. However, it was the most flawed system possible; we just didn't realise it because we didn't know anything else

Do you really want to go back to a system that was never designed to qualify the best riders in the world?

Where qualification was based more on nationality than ability?

Where everybody rode in a different amount of meetings?

Where a couple of good rides could make you the "best rider in the world"?

It did seem more enjoyable back then, but when you look at old videos from back in the day, the racing was generally no better than what we see today.

• Like 1

Could be that 40/50 years ago we were errrrrr 40/50 years younger and thought life in general was better in them days. Can't disagree tho

I liked the one of world finals in the 60’s/70’s, even though Wembley was not the best race track and the only “away” world final I saw was 1976, Katowice, went specifically to see PC win it, and he did.               
Now I can see 10 “world finals” in one year, generally the 15 best riders in the world at that point in time.            
Going back to a 1 meeting world final would be a backward step IMO.

• Like 2

One positive thing I will say is that the SGP3 was easily, by some distance, the best DSE meeting this year and that was a one off... hmm B)

• Confused 1

I know they are a main sponsor but am sick to death of the constant monster bottles being thrust at us on screen, seems to me that monster Joe has made a takeover of the riders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eagle69 said:

I know they are a main sponsor but am sick to death of the constant monster bottles being thrust at us on screen, seems to me that monster Joe has made a takeover of the riders.

I'm not sure they are the main sponsor anymore

On 10/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, iainb said:

I'm not sure they are the main sponsor anymore

They are the official energy drink partner (whatever that means).

"Together with Monster Energy, we have agreed that they will collaborate with us as our official energy drink partner for 2022, no longer as series presenting partner."

9 minutes ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

They are the official energy drink partner (whatever that means).

"Together with Monster Energy, we have agreed that they will collaborate with us as our official energy drink partner for 2022, no longer as series presenting partner."

Correct... i believe they used to sponsor the series though?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Correct... i believe they used to sponsor the series though?

They've not been the same since Tony Hancock retired....

Or was it Greg?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

They've not been the same since Tony Hancock retired....

Or was it Greg?

It was Matt Hancock. Health Secretary was a part-time job.

• Haha 1

Three pages in the Star this week with the deluded boss of Discovery events ... Apparently 2022 was the best year ever and any (VERY) minor imperfections were negligible.

All in an interview with a totally independent journalist.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Three pages in the Star this week with the deluded boss of Discovery events ... Apparently 2022 was the best year ever and any (VERY) minor imperfections were negligible.

All in an interview with a totally independent journalist.

And this is the problem with speedway (at GP level and below). Speedway journos are too entrenched with their paymasters… not dissimilar from some of our MSM during Covid ;)

If the head honchos at DSE think that was the best year ever then ‘new era of speedway’ isn’t filling me with confidence. You’d hope outsiders would freshen it up - every conversation I have with my non speedway partner about the GP is “why do they do that/why don’t they just do that”… surely a professional outfit should be asking the same simple questions… clearly not… can the last person leaving Cardiff in 2023 please turn off the lights 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomhaines said:

And this is the problem with speedway (at GP level and below). Speedway journos are too entrenched with their paymasters… not dissimilar from some of our MSM during Covid ;)

If the head honchos at DSE think that was the best year ever then ‘new era of speedway’ isn’t filling me with confidence. You’d hope outsiders would freshen it up - every conversation I have with my non speedway partner about the GP is “why do they do that/why don’t they just do that”… surely a professional outfit should be asking the same simple questions… clearly not… can the last person leaving Cardiff in 2023 please turn off the lights 

It wasn't just Cardiff though was it?  

On 10/2/2022 at 9:11 PM, bruno said:

Could be that 40/50 years ago we were errrrrr 40/50 years younger and thought life in general was better in them days. Can't disagree tho

Of course, everything is better when you're young!  Once old/ex speedway fans get this into their head the better!