British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

On 10/13/2022 at 1:47 PM, Grand Central said:

Three pages in the Star this week with the deluded boss of Discovery events ... Apparently 2022 was the best year ever and any (VERY) minor imperfections were negligible.

All in an interview with a totally independent journalist.

It's the modern way to talk a product up so they don’t lose customers but hopefully speedway fans have a mind of their own and make their decisions regardless of what he says ..... It also seems to be the modern way for journalists to not question what the CEO says so it's not a balanced piece, there's obviously good reason for this when they are a customer of the Star :( I would certainly have asked why they don't take the GPs to all the best racing tracks in the World and of course ask what went wrong with the Cardiff track and how it will be put right for 2023 .....

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 2:47 PM, Grand Central said:

Three pages in the Star this week with the deluded boss of Discovery events ... Apparently 2022 was the best year ever and any (VERY) minor imperfections were negligible.

The only time you get anywhere near the truth reported is if a national newspaper does an article on speedway. And more often than not, they just can't be bothered.  The Star isn't going to bite the hand that feeds it, as we have seen over the past couple of decades

10 hours ago, Trees said:

It's the modern way to talk a product up so they don’t lose customers but hopefully speedway fans have a mind of their own and make their decisions regardless of what he says ..... It also seems to be the modern way for journalists to not question what the CEO says so it's not a balanced piece, there's obviously good reason for this when they are a customer of the Star :( I would certainly have asked why they don't take the GPs to all the best racing tracks in the World and of course ask what went wrong with the Cardiff track and how it will be put right for 2023 .....

Well said.

What happened to the Cardiff track enquiry to reassure fans they have learned lessons. 

On 10/13/2022 at 1:47 PM, Grand Central said:

I have to say I agree with him, 2022 was Discovery's best SGP year ever. Only because it's the only one they've had 

What a waste of paper printing that interview. I assume it was Burbs doing the grilling? The same guy that noted the Discovery boss had a "taut" body during their big unveil. Weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JCookie said:

I have to say I agree with him, 2022 was Discovery's best SGP year ever. Only because it's the only one they've had 

What a waste of paper printing that interview. I assume it was Burbs doing the grilling? The same guy that noted the Discovery boss had a "taut" body during their big unveil. Weird.

The Polish interview( see Sportowefakty) was rather more probing including one question- when are you going to sack Ole Olsen !!!

• Haha 4

On 11/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, Trees said:

But you don't share this view when it comes to King's Lynn. Having a pop at fans that voice their opinion & walking away. Can't have it both ways 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Francois Ribeiro, Head of Discovery Sports, is to stand down, reports Sportowefakty. Although no official announcement as yet, it is not known who will replace him

I am expecting a world exclusive from Paul Burbidge in tomorrow's Star claiming that the news 'heralds a whole new era' and that 'the resignation of Ribeiro is the best piece of news since ... the appointment of Ribeiro.'

Edited by Grand Central
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2023 at 4:44 PM, racers and royals said:

Francois Ribeiro, Head of Discovery Sports, is to stand down, reports Sportowefakty. Although no official announcement as yet, it is not known who will replace him

Ole Olsen to replace him.

There is still no official statement about Riberio standing down. Even FIM Track Racing director Armando Castagna, who is working closely with Ribero, was taken by surprise with the news. There is an unconfirmed rumour that Ribeiro was thrown out by his bosses at DISCOVERY SPORTS, because there was apparently no progress being made with what he had promissed for the development and the marketing of Speedway (finding new venues for the sport, selling tv rights and increasing viewing figures, etc).

This could have serious cosequences for the sport, if it is dumped by DISCOVERY/EUROSPORT.  

On 2/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, racers and royals said:

Did he get the boot for signing the Speedway contract?

There was an an article under the heading "Ribeiro puzzle", written  by Peter Oakes, in last week's Speedway Star, but we are still waiting for an official statement about the unexplained sudden departure of Discovery Sports Events boss Francois Ribeiro.

32 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

And now no Morris ?

You obviously didn't read the press release properly. Here's the second paragraph

Former rider and manager Morris, who will continue as FIM Race Director at Grand Prix and World Cup events, takes on the newly created position with the responsibility of overseeing all aspects of Premiership business. 

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/premiership/morris-appointed-premiership-ceo/

52 minutes ago, Come on the Skipper said:

You obviously didn't read the press release properly. Here's the second paragraph

Former rider and manager Morris, who will continue as FIM Race Director at Grand Prix and World Cup events, takes on the newly created position with the responsibility of overseeing all aspects of Premiership business. 

https://britishspeedway.co.uk/premiership/morris-appointed-premiership-ceo/

You’re quite right I did not read it properly. My bad.

A split personality with the ability to be in two places at once, wearing multiple hats must have been in the job description.

Thank goodness there will be no chance of conflicting loyalties, eh?

Edited by Grand Central